Registered Member
    Real Name
    ammumalar

Default Re: What to do before going on Vacation

Nice information. It will be very useful for many. Thanks DiscusLoverJeff

Registered Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the information. However, i noticed most of the discussion has been regarding adult discus. I have a tank with juvie discus along with some angels and cardinal tetras. I understand juvies need a lot more food and clean water than adults and I'll be going on vacation for 11 days. I'm a little worried once they get hungry they'll start hunting the tetras down. I do not have anyone I would trust with changing water so is it still better to not feed the duration of my trip to preserve the water quality? Or should I have someone feed my fish maybe twice (4 days apart) just to keep them from eating the tetras?

Real Name
    Phil

I have never left juvies alone for a long period as you will... I believe the common thought is food and no water change is going to equal problems and bad water quality... That being said, not feeding juvies for 11 days could be an issue as well. I am not sure if that is enough to stunt or cause health problems or growth problems...

Sorry for not being more of a help, I would await the advice of someone who might have had similar experience...

Registered Member

Thanks philly...that is the dilemma. Not sure what is worse, dirty water or no food lol

11 days is too long especially for juvie. If were you I'll sell it if no one will feed and water change them

Real Name
    keith carr

I have 4 Discus fish all very well and healthy,I feed them on frozen high protein food and also Tetra Prima Pelet's 2 of the fish love the Pelet's but 2 don't. I am going on holiday for 10 days and bought a automatic fish feeder and want to know what is the best flake food i can buy as unable to feed them the frozen food they love.Can you please advise me .
    Thank you

Registered Member

Hi, I'll go vacation on next month.So,how many fish in 30g, 65g and 90g will be ok without food in 10 days.Thanks Andy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefc View Post
    I have 4 Discus fish all very well and healthy,I feed them on frozen high protein food and also Tetra Prima Pelet's 2 of the fish love the Pelet's but 2 don't. I am going on holiday for 10 days and bought a automatic fish feeder and want to know what is the best flake food i can buy as unable to feed them the frozen food they love.Can you please advise me .
    Thank you
    Hey warvlad79,

I wouldn't feed for the 10 days. With and an automatic feeder you might get a malfunction and it can dump all the food into the tank. The chance is too great, I would suggest to just feed normally, change water the day before (I usually WC the night before) and go have a great vacation.

Registered Member

Good advice from all above
    Thank u

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

What if I/some one go for a Long vacation like 50 to 60 days ( 2 Months )

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

October , November up to Dec. 12th of 2014 I had to leave home to begin a new treatment for lymphocytic leukemia . I had a son of help with feeding and toping off the water in my tank only , his excuse I'm too picking and he wouldn't do water changes. I had 10 discus when I left and I had 10 discus when I got back. My smaller tetras and 2 of my clown loaches were but that's was it. Before I left I did 3 large w/c's (90 + gal.) on my 125 gal tank and I'm sure that helped a lot .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    This time of year the forum gets asked "what should I do before going on vacation."

I tried to do a write up for everyone to review as a "basic" guideline on what to do.

Remember, adult discus can survive without food for a week

If you do not have someone to take care of your fish before you go then do this; if adults, don't feed 48 hours prior to leaving and do as big of a water change as you can before you go. If someone can feed your adults but not change the water, it would just be best to not feed at all.

If juvies, (not advisable to purchase small fish before you go on vacation. If your source has them now, they will have them when you get back.) you have a few options. If you have someone who can feed them and do water changes, have that person knowledgeable of your setup before you leave. As we know the key to juvenile growth is good food and clean water.

If you have fry on parents, they should be fine if gone 7 days (depending on how long and how many have been attached, the fry could eat too much and hurt the parents), any longer than that, you could have dead fry when you get home. Again, the importance of having someone look after your spawning pairs.

Always check your equipment before leaving (heaters, air pumps, filters, sump, etc.)

If you have a sump, make sure someone can monitor and fill because their will be evaporation.
    Such a great advise!
    Really helpful!

Real Name
    Patty

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm grateful for it. I was going to set up a new (to me) 90 gallon as a reef until I ran across the Discus. I've been reading non-stop and was worried that during two known vacations, one seven days, and one 10 days, they wouldn't fare well. I was backing off keeping a discus tank and really disappointed.

Now that I've read this, I'm back to it! Actually, the tank won't be ready for them until after the first seven day vacation.

A quick question. If you have tank mates, likely lemon tetras, red-finned tetras, electric blue ram (that's my list so far), will they also do okay without food for 10 days? I was going to look into an auto feeder but from what I'm reading, no food would be better.

Thanks!

Patty

Real Name
    Phil

Patty,

Glad to hear that this thread thwarted your possible avoidance of keeping this great fish!

Hard to say for sure, but most fish will do fine without food for an extended period of time, given clean conditions. That being said, you are now mixing hungry discus, with smaller fish that could become food if small enough or the discus get hungry enough (depending on the size of your discus.)

Anytime I left for vacation, I did the no food and 2 back to back big water changes and all was fine. Stop feeding 2 days before you leave and do 2 large water changes back to back days and go away, have fun and the fish should be fine upon your return.

You hear many more disaster stories vs success stories with auto feeders and/or someone non-experienced feeding the fish when someone is away.

CLEAN WATER > FOOD - NO MATTER HOW YOU SLICE IT!

Best of luck to you!

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks for the info, Philly. Good tip on the auto feeders. Reviews always make them sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Or for this generation, DVR's. I'm soaking up all the info I can from this forum. Glad I found it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast