AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Whirling Disease

Registered Member

Default Re: Whirling Disease

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Khooyang, if you are using the dosage recommended by Andrew you are looking at 6 x 500mg tablets per 25 gallons which is 3 grams per 25.
    Pat
    Pat, thank you so much for clarification. That's a really crazy amount . Also, admire so much of your courage. If that's me, I might have given up the hobby...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by khooyang View Post
    Pat, thank you so much for clarification. That's a really crazy amount . Also, admire so much of your courage. If that's me, I might have given up the hobby...
    I almost did but had enough tefes left to make a go of it. I am sure glad I stayed in The tefe's breed for me the following Feb and so worth it.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Glad to hear there's some type of treatment for what I've called "Mad Discus Disease", and it's Metro based.

This is how I found the forum in the first place, after losing one of my cherished Wild Discus. Like the other posts, it usually happens to my wild fish and not the domestic ones.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post
    Good to see this on top of the wild section again especially because several members have to deal with the frustrating whirling issue. Maybe out of the box thinking,.....reading through this post one will notice the best method so far is to scale down the number and percentage of water changes. Up until now there is no proper diagnose for the issue and only some guesses. Thats not a good start for treating with meds. I would be interested to see what happens when people follow the advice of only 2 water changes a week of 30% to 40% each. In my case it took about 3 weeks and all symptoms were gone. After 2 months I did a couple of larger water changes of 65% and the symptoms came back (it starts with nervous behaviour). Since then I went back to the 40% changes and have not had the issue since (couple of years now). Maybe people try too hard to find a med or a treatment while the issue is simply solved with smaller water changes.
    I'm having this issue, so far I've got one red pigeon blood presenting the symptoms and it's been four days since it started. Have you lost any fish during the process?

found this thread searching board for "whirling"
    though it wasn't at top of search results.

i was looking because on facebook groups (non-discus), i see whirling come up. people have video of their fish swimming like a kite out of control on a windy day.
    i myself observed it recently with black neons when i was q-tanking them.

as i read this thread, seems like there is not a clear cause/effect/cure to whirling

in my case with black neons, it was due to water changes with unaged water and a resulting ph swing. i compounded it with more water changes, thinking more WC was good (but forgetting about ph swing)
    i started using old water from my Discus tank, and the black neons stopped whirling and dying.

whirling, seems like a generic term that is used to describe a behavior that could be caused by many issue, correct?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234