AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Trying to understand Goldens

Real Name
    Steve

Default Trying to understand Goldens

I've read that goldens were derived from browns. Does that mean they have a set of traits that were the result of a mutation of a brown, or the result of line breeding to isolate specific traits? And what are those genetic traits that make a golden? Are they dominant/recessive? relative to what?

As a second question, would a golden x PB give favorable results?

Thanks.
    Steve

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Trying to understand Goldens

Does that mean they have a set of traits that were the result of a mutation of a brown,
    This is correct.

Are they dominant/recessive?
    Recessive

relative to what?
    This question makes no sense.

A dominant gene needs only one allele (their are two per chromosome) to express itself
    A recessive allele needs two, or both alleles to express itself.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

As a second question, would a golden x PB give favorable results?
    In regards to what? Define favorable.....What is your goal, 100% nice offspring in the F1, or something you are working on and are willing to take it to the F3?

What Golden and What Pigeon blood?

The question is really to vague to answer correctly. Most of the rules that apply to a pb x non pb are applicable in this cross, the golden gene will not express itself in the F1 as it is a recessive trait, if you take the F1 offspring and breed them you would get 25% golden offspring, or if you cross it back to the golden parent, you would get 50% golden offspring, some of which would be pb's as well.

The only fairly safe pb to non-pb cross out there is a pb x snow white, unless your pb happens to also be an albino, and crossed to a non pb albino.

And what are those genetic traits that make a golden?
    Bar-less, golden in color (although much work has been done to achieve different colors).
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 07-18-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for your reply,...and your patience.
    Since goldens are not PB, that makes sense,...my bad. I was confusing them both being barless into thinking their fry might be also, without peppering. ( I've got a golden spotted-turk/snakeskin female flirting with a checkerboard/white butterfly male.)
    Where my ignorance really shows is when I consider a recessivexrecessive, like blue diamondxgolden, or similar dominant-sqr cross. Thare's probably some basic genetics here that I am misunderstanding, so I have to ask.
    Thanks

Hum when there ready send me some. Think these would be interesting to work with.

Real Name
    Steve

This is an old thread I started years ago, but worth reviewing for myself, since I seem to have come into some goldens There are all kinds of crosses that have been developed since I started it, including strains that are called golden because of color, but not due to "golden" strain genetics. The golden genetics are considered more rare and desirable by some. I'm again wondering why, or what traits these folks find desirable.

Real Name
    Steve

I think part of the answer will be that they were a bar-less mutation, like the BD, and PB, but just a different one.