AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Angel Newbie - I'm in Love

Default Re: Angel Newbie - I'm in Love

Pat, You have some nice ones there! Angels were the first fish I fell in love with, both wilds and domestics. I was able to keep both together in a show tank in the hatchery I built. I had nine pair of domestics I was raising fry from at one time. I lost all my photos when HP stopped their photo site. I failed to get them downloaded before it was taken down.
    Dick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Chris

They are just beautiful Pat. Best of luck with them. I am lookig forward to future pics of fry.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Christopher G

Wow!! Is the first word that came to mind. They are so beautiful Pat, good luck with them. Hope to see large number of angel fry in your tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

Nice looking Angels Pat. They are what got me into this hobby 32 years ago!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I defer all things Angel to Ryan. He's who I ask angel fish questions to.LOL

-al
    Sounds like a good idea Al

Quote Originally Posted by DLFL View Post
    Pat, You have some nice ones there! Angels were the first fish I fell in love with, both wilds and domestics. I was able to keep both together in a show tank in the hatchery I built. I had nine pair of domestics I was raising fry from at one time. I lost all my photos when HP stopped their photo site. I failed to get them downloaded before it was taken down.
    Thanks Dick, that is a shame about your pictures Don't tell anyone but I did not care for angelfish until Larry sent these guys to me even then it took a while. I have them in a low, dark tank and the angels were always shiddish and hiding. It was time to bring them into the light and I can only say WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    They are just beautiful Pat. Best of luck with them. I am lookig forward to future pics of fry.

Chris
    Thank you Chris, they are settling in nice. Hopefully there is a pair in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    Wow!! Is the first word that came to mind. They are so beautiful Pat, good luck with them. Hope to see large number of angel fry in your tank.
    Thanks Chris, angel fry would keep me busy until the wild discus start breeding again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbs View Post
    Nice looking Angels Pat. They are what got me into this hobby 32 years ago!
    Thanks Kirbs, angels seem to drawn a lot of folks into the hobby.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-20-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

For the angelfish purists the two smaller ones are Xingu scalare and the three larger ones were sold under Manacapuru red shoulder.

Registered Member

Looove ur angelfish... My friend was a breeder and gave me some when I first set up my tank.... Beautiful fish
    Using Tapatalk

Very nice Pat!
    Be prepare to replace them with Altums.....this what happen to anyone with angelfish....(;
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by charrr89 View Post
    Looove ur angelfish... My friend was a breeder and gave me some when I first set up my tank.... Beautiful fish
    Thanks charrr89

Quote Originally Posted by eranio View Post
    Very nice Pat!
    Be prepare to replace them with Altums.....this what happen to anyone with angelfish....(;
    Thanks eranio, we shall see. I would need a much larger tank for Altums.

Real Name
    Pat

Here is a video of the tank today. The wood has been shedding and is making a mess on the sand bed.

Real Name
    Pat

A few daylight pictures of the Xingu angels. These guys are pretty in their own right.

They are getting bullied by the red shouldered.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Those are simply gorgeous! I can only imagine the sheen they must display in real life. Where did you get these again? I may set up an angel tank down the line.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

There is a lot of confusion about Manacapurus. The first ones to appear years ago from that location were red shouldered (you can see it in the back of Heiko's first book, I think) and so the Manacapuru craze started. That led to more imports in the following years but those fish did not express the trait when grown out. It's said that the red shouldered ones are caught in Lake Manacapuru (which is the southern part of the river) and the non-red ones come from the river itself. It is a huge river system, so there could be any number of variations of angels in that river. From Wikipedia:

Manacapuru River is a river of Amazonas state in north-western Brazil. It flows into the Amazon River (Solimões section) at the city of Manacapuru, about 80 km (50 mi) upstream (west) from Manaus. Parts of the river are very broad, appearing as elongated lakes, with the uppermost known as Lago Grande de Manacapuru ("Large Manacapuru Lake") and the lowermost, near where it merges into the Amazon, as Lago Manacapuru ("Lake Manacapuru").
    You'll definitely know the red-shouldered ones when you see them because the color starts to develop fairly early.

To add to the confusion, yours don't look anything like the non-red Manacapuru I've seen other breeders working with. LOL. But who knows, really.

Either way, I always find angels enjoyable in their own way. They are not discus but they come with their own set of quirks and behaviors that are interesting. Have fun with them.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Those are simply gorgeous! I can only imagine the sheen they must display in real life. Where did you get these again? I may set up an angel tank down the line.
    Rick, the pictures I posted today are Xingu Scalare and are from one of Mark's (Discus Origins) shipments from last summer.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    There is a lot of confusion about Manacapurus. The first ones to appear years ago from that location were red shouldered (you can see it in the back of Heiko's first book, I think) and so the Manacapuru craze started. That led to more imports in the following years but those fish did not express the trait when grown out. It's said that the red shouldered ones are caught in Lake Manacapuru (which is the southern part of the river) and the non-red ones come from the river itself. It is a huge river system, so there could be any number of variations of angels in that river. From Wikipedia:

You'll definitely know the red-shouldered ones when you see them because the color starts to develop fairly early.

To add to the confusion, yours don't look anything like the non-red Manacapuru I've seen other breeders working with. LOL. But who knows, really.

Either way, I always find angels enjoyable in their own way. They are not discus but they come with their own set of quirks and behaviors that are interesting. Have fun with them.
    Thanks Ryan, I understand these were sold under the red shoulder label yet do not express the full red shoulder but instead the green/blue sheen. Either way they are gorgeous fish and very different from discus. So if I get lucky and mange to get some fry they may not show the interesting shoulder coloration of the parents?

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-23-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast