ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Angel Newbie - I'm in Love

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Angel Newbie - I'm in Love

Yes Dick, the tube is up on the female and just visible on the male. Male is chasing everyone.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

You'll know when they spawn. Angels, particularly wild angels, are notoriously aggressive toward tankmates once they spawn. Mine would turn completely sideways and dart at fish across the tank.

Keep a close eye on them. Wild angels in small tanks (under 6') are very rough on each other. I never had luck in anything less than my 150.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    You'll know when they spawn. Angels, particularly wild angels, are notoriously aggressive toward tankmates once they spawn. Mine would turn completely sideways and dart at fish across the tank.

Keep a close eye on them. Wild angels in small tanks (under 6') are very rough on each other. I never had luck in anything less than my 150.
    Thanks Ryan, I have noticed since the last WC that the "male" of the pair has been escalating hostilities towards the other angels in the tank as last night I removed the extra angels for their own safety. My impressions with watching the angels is they would do best in larger tanks.

I spoke with Al briefly and he said he had even seen angels go after each others eyes. Mean fish indeed.

Real Name
    Pat

Here's some pictures of the pair. These pictures were taken during the day and the angels tend to be rather light. I also feed them some small moths, they really liked them.

Female

Male

It's good that you have some dithers in there. Hopefully that will keep the pair from beating up each other. I've found that sometimes angels, like other SA/CA cichlids, will attack each other when kept in single pairs. I had a gorgeous koi pair several years ago but the female would routinely beat the crap out of the male after they spawned. The dithers should redirect some of that nervous energy.

What's the temp? Try cooling them down a little bit during your next w/c.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It's good that you have some dithers in there. Hopefully that will keep the pair from beating up each other. I've found that sometimes angels, like other SA/CA cichlids, will attack each other when kept in single pairs. I had a gorgeous koi pair several years ago but the female would routinely beat the crap out of the male after they spawned. The dithers should redirect some of that nervous energy.

What's the temp? Try cooling them down a little bit during your next w/c.
    Thanks Ryan, temp is around 80. WCs are about 78. They seem pretty calm with each other. They spend lots of time staring at stuff but last night noted a bit of pecking when can be seen towards the end of the video.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456