ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desire change in the hobby?

Real Name
    Matt

Default Desire change in the hobby?

I want to preface this post by saying I love discus, always have, and I love my current fish. Its just I can't help but to look at my 100gal wild tank and feel down about it. There are no problems with it, I'm not fighting any issues with it, but quite frankly I'm finding it kind of boring lately. I only have 2 tanks running at the moment, and thats all I want. My 15gal SW nano and the 100gal discus tank. Maybe Spencer Jack was right, when it comes down to it discus are boring. I love them but they are boring. I don't have any fish sparing with each other, no pairs controlling the sides of the tank with spawns that you would get with other american cichlids, no crazy colors and exciting atmosphere that you'd find in an african setup. The discus just hover there, staring back at me waiting for food and the process repeats. Theres no life, no survival, no instinct. And I know the wild season is approaching, but I really don't (I do but don't want to afford to) want to spend the money for a group of quality wilds to boost my "herd"/"school" this year, which could run close to at least $800, after putting money into the SW tank, car, other things in life. So that leaves me sitting with 3 wild discus in a 100gal tank, not quite the tank of my dreams. I'm not looking for an easy way out, not looking for a tank I can set it and forget it, not do constant WCs on, etc. I just feel the urge for something new.

I can't help but to look at an African setup, or a different type of central/south american setup with awe and a lust really. Is this the hobby telling me I need a change? If it is change to what? Anyone else been through this? I'm sure we all have. How do you decide? I always end up back and discus regardless, I'm just fighting to see the fun with them atm.

At any rate, I'm still pondering this. Won't be some overnight decision quite yet. Just had to post my thoughts, maybe get some of your thoughts and experiences with this as well.
    -Matt

Default Re: Desire change in the hobby?

Matt, I believe many of us feel the same way at times, I know I do. That is why I change out discus over the months just for variety.

Have you thought of adding some wild angels to the mix?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

This to shall pass......

Maybe its time to do a little breeding? Raise up some of your own fry. It is work but it is rewarding work if done correctly.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    This to shall pass......

Maybe its time to do a little breeding? Raise up some of your own fry. It is work but it is rewarding work if done correctly.

-john
    Yep that's what kept me in the hobby. At one point I though about quieting and do something else.

Real Name
    Jim

Matt, I have been there also. I ended up selling my 125 and my discus and started a bc29 marine tank. I have had other fish in a 55 I had, but tore that down too. I will never get rid of my nano tank. When I would go to my lfs, I would always end up looking at their discus. Well I am back, have a 55 that I will be using but its in the planning stages. This time I want to grow them big and try breeding as my ultimate goal.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

could you put some domestics in with those wilds and try a bred cross? i must say my wilds tank isnt as exciting for me because its plain and they dont breed fo rme yet so none of that action going on, i want to do a fancy biotiope when i can afford it thats what i was dreaming of i know youve done that before though too
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Real Name
    Matt

I had wild angels before, much of the same as discus IMO. The problem with breeding is it takes more space, more space that atm I do not have to spare lol. Pair tank, growout tanks, space to grow BBS, etc. I guess its an option but not the leading one atm. I guess I just need to sit down, rummage through the boards, see if anything catches my eye. What started all of this was looking at pictures from the ACA show seeing some of the great cichlids out there and also seeing some Ivanacara adoketa. Just threw questions in my mind. What I REALLY need is Larry's fishroom LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
    Matt, I have been there also. I ended up selling my 125 and my discus and started a bc29 marine tank. I have had other fish in a 55 I had, but tore that down too. I will never get rid of my nano tank. When I would go to my lfs, I would always end up looking at their discus. Well I am back, have a 55 that I will be using but its in the planning stages. This time I want to grow them big and try breeding as my ultimate goal.
    Jim, my nano is my baby right now. I would be CRUSHED if something happened to it....less so if something happened to my discus tank. I love my nano to death and its really capturing my interest. TBH, that might be part of the reason I started questioning my 100gal. Look at my nano and smile, turn around 180 degrees and look at my 100gal and just kind of shrug my shoulders.
    -Matt

I love my reef tank too. Never get bored looking at it. Almost 5 years now.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Jeff's reef tank is gorgeous...from what I remember.
    President - North American Discus Association

I had a spell when I felt it was time to try something different. I did a reef tank, live rock, corals (mainly soft), fish and shrimp/crabs etc. Great fun setting it up, but after that ... well it was just boring. Everyone who came round all went wild about it with lots of ooh's and aahs ... but utterly unrewarding. Maintenance was a breeze, a smallish water change every three weeks and an occasional wipe around the glass. I thought it would be a real challenge but it wasn't, it was most disappointing from that aspect. After 18 months I tore it down, sold all the livestock and rock and added another discus tank ...

Did the Africans when I was younger, colourful fish and they can be feisty but no real challenge imo/e ...

If you want a real challenge why not get some altums (real ones from the wild) and see what you can do with those! Or get some Heckels and see if you can breed them ...
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Matt,
    We've all been thru it at one point or or another, or will some day. When I was there I went crazy, started playing with angels, blue rams, bolivian rams, shrimps,port cichlids,uaru,red head tapajos, thread fin Geos ...I went completely hog wild...had fish breeding all over the place....that too lost its charm. I found myself back with discus.

You've got a 100 gal tank sitting there with 3 nice wilds and are bored looking at it...time to maybe spice it up. I know you mentioned that you didn't have the resources to go an purchase some high end wilds for it... but I guess my question is, why does it have to be high end wilds? I have kept many wild discus over the years., and sold quite a few. A wild discus is a wild discus is a wild discus. Yes theres expensive names, and those reds with lots of red look great, the spotted with lots of spots look great....and the Striated with lots of striations look great.... But I will tell you what.. A common Heckel is an awesome fish, and common wild Blue can be a massive critter, and a wild green even without spots is still a majestic fish worth having, especially after its settled into to some good care. A trend we have these days is the wilds need to be fancy and expensive, but they don't. They just need to be healthy and round to really enjoy them. Some of my favorite wilds were my cheapest wilds. Of course theres nothing wrong paying a premium for a fish that is unique and in demand if you can afford it or justify it....but Theres alot more even a common wild can offer.

I don't mean to imply anything about wild discus keepers these days, as I feel the same about the Domestics. A red turq is still one of my favorites..

So my suggestion is dig deeper into the wild side.... Get a group of 6-7 wilds going in that tank and you'll probably see some more action. That has been my experience.

Sadly I no longer have either the wild greens or Heckels in the videos on this page...

http://www.ctdiscus.com/wild_discus_collection.php

But Those fish are just your common wilds...maybe $50 a piece as adults...the heckels were juvies when gotten..3 " @ something like $35 . Granted it was a few years ago....but I have seen some really nice wild discus without a designer tag for a fair price.

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-30-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

i have every freshwater fish i wanna keep at this moment.
    that has helped me be less bored of discus. still love their colors and majestic appearance.

if ur bored of activity in the tank then my recommendation is community tank of other freshwater.
    one of my tank is angel fish with rainbows, roselines, loaches, then still looking for other interesting ones like rams, black ghost, marble hatchets, cories.
    i like that tank a lot due to variety and angel breeding is much more aggressive and easier than discus.
    Discus dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    I love my reef tank too. Never get bored looking at it. Almost 5 years now.
    i totally left reef which i had for 15 yrs plus. had all bells and whistles. not sure why i dont miss em.
    maybe the algae problems i always had?
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Matt

Al, I'd just want quality fish not necessarily "high end". Still probably going to border $100 each. Its the nature of the beast these days especially due to the limited sources we have here in the states. I guess I have to wait and see what the season brings as to whats available and for what price before making any real decision. I'd really like to breed something, its been years since I had a real spawn....the Festivums were probably the last I raised.

I'm the complete opposite Paul lol. I check my tank anxiously every day to see how much the coral has grown, love seeing new growth and new branches on the coral and everything going on in the tank. I think thats why I'm looking at the FW side of things like I am because I am so happy with the way SW is going for me. Its exciting, new stuff every day, life, colors, everything.

I don't know. Like I said, i'm confused and lost at the direction I want to head in lol I just feel this 100gal rimless tank is going to waste currently.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Mauro

Matt, you traitor! (just kidding).

I posed a similar question 2 years ago and got interesting answers. I hope they will help you find excitment with discus in general and wilds in particular:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hlight=booring

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast