AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Desire change in the hobby?

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Desire change in the hobby?

Al, I'm sure there are but they've never interested me other than like sport fishing bluegill, bass, etc. The small darters and such were kinda "meh". Which is funny because my brother can't get enough of them. For the past 3 years he's worked with the US Forestry service doing stream surveys all around the southeast from Virginia, to the Carolinas, and west to Arkansas and Missouri. Also helps collect for some people here in SC for the trade. Those Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish are really nice, but not something I'd do in the 100gal. I think I would find more enjoyment catching them than keeping them.

Aren't I difficult to please? LOL
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Matt, when I was heavily into planted tanks, I must admit, I was hooked. However, if you were ever to go to that dark side, make sure you are well versed on how to keep everything healthy. Once you get everything balanced though, it is very rewarding. I kept about 100 chili rasboras in a 55g and it was a sight to see. I will also mention, I thought that the planted tank could not be more expensive than a discus tank, it turned out I was wrong, and a planted tank can get super expensive very quick.

Secondly, if you Trophs have piqued your interest, I would suggest checking out the Tropheus red rainbow kasanga. Dave had some and when I saw a pic of them I started drooling. Check them out, they look pretty awesome:

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Yeah those Red Rainbows are very impressive. I've never seen them that yellow before.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Dave had about 20 wild ones I believe.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

yea highly recommend tropheus. ricks pic looks more like illangi.
    this one is more closer to red rainbows.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4e677a10.jpg
    Discus dave.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    yea highly recommend tropheus. ricks pic looks more like illangi.
    this one is more closer to red rainbows.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4e677a10.jpg
    Yup. That's a Red Rainbow. I am sucker for the species black though. Something so simple about the Bemba with just black and bright orange. I love it! Ikola too are awesome.

The Troph community uses various acronyms too like discus folk

Real Name
    Ricardo

Those are a beauty. How large do they get, and do they require as many WC's as discus?

Cafepress.com

they can get as big as 5"+. but most are 4-5".
    once a week WC is plenty IMO.
    thats all i do. 50% weekly.
    i keep them with petrochromis red bulus frys now.
    Discus dave.

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    Yup. That's a Red Rainbow. I am sucker for the species black though. Something so simple about the Bemba with just black and bright orange. I love it! Ikola too are awesome.

The Troph community uses various acronyms too like discus folk
    hey did u sell ur MOBAS?
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Matt

So say I went Trophs, what size colony would I be looking at for a 100gal (48x24x20)?
    -Matt

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    So say I went Trophs, what size colony would I be looking at for a 100gal (48x24x20)?
    If you buy wild caught, you can buy them sexed. They are sold in trios meaning 1male/2 females. I would try for 21 or 24 to start. 30 would be even better, but it gets expensive. If you go with F1 juvies, you should try for 30-40 and weed out the males as they mature until you get a nice ratio. Another cool thing about trophs is that they don't have to be full grown adults to produce fry. My 2.5" sub-adult Bemba have small spawns in my tank.

I've had about 20 trophs in my 90G along with a few other Africans and it worked well for me.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Al, I'm sure there are but they've never interested me other than like sport fishing bluegill, bass, etc. The small darters and such were kinda "meh". Which is funny because my brother can't get enough of them. For the past 3 years he's worked with the US Forestry service doing stream surveys all around the southeast from Virginia, to the Carolinas, and west to Arkansas and Missouri. Also helps collect for some people here in SC for the trade. Those Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish are really nice, but not something I'd do in the 100gal. I think I would find more enjoyment catching them than keeping them.

Aren't I difficult to please? LOL
    Lol yes! but seriously, I'll have to get your brothers contact info!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    If you buy wild caught, you can buy them sexed. They are sold in trios meaning 1male/2 females. I would try for 21 or 24 to start. 30 would be even better, but it gets expensive. If you go with F1 juvies, you should try for 30-40 and weed out the males as they mature until you get a nice ratio. Another cool thing about trophs is that they don't have to be full grown adults to produce fry. My 2.5" sub-adult Bemba have small spawns in my tank.
    From what I gather by the time you buy twice as many juvis to get the mix you want you could of bought an already sexed out wild or adult colony thats ready to breed. I guess raising them and sexing them is part of the experience if you want to go that route though. To be honest, if I did this I'd be happy with either direction it just depends on who has enough stock to supply enough at one time. How are trophs at introducing new fish into the herd? Like if I could only find half the colony size to start, can I add the other have down the road provided the sexing is worked out? Also, whats the growth rate on these fish? Just wondering if they are a typical Tang in that it takes forever for them to mature and grow.

I like the Bemba as well, the orange and black. It would probably be my second choice as far as type goes after Moori.

I'm actually seriously considering this. Tropheus always intrigued me but I never had the tank to support a colony of them.
    -Matt

There are a lot of tank bred trophs on the market. Somone in my local club typically sells 1" juvy anywhere from $8 to $12 each. I bought lots of tangs from this person in the past. Trophs grow pretty fast.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast