ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: how many dicus in a 90 gallon aquarium

Registered Member

Default how many dicus in a 90 gallon aquarium

Hello. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am a young fish addict and have been keeping and breeding fish (mostly dwarf cichlids and angelfish) for quite a while. I Have finally made my mind up, and try my hand at keeping discus. how many can I keep in a 90 gallon bare bottom aquarium? thank you
    Last edited by bens fish; 08-01-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Default Re: how many dicus in a 90 gallon aquarium

In bare-bottom, up to 10 near adult, or adult, fish. Perhaps even a dozen or so.
    You could keep many more young ones - juvies - probably double that amount, of say 3" fish, but you'd need to sell, re-home, or add another tank for some as they grew out

Registered Member

ok thanks. I will start looking for a group of 10 mid sized discus to grow out. if I buy say 3 inch fish would I have to put them in a grow out tank, and until what size should they be in the grow out?

If they're at least 3" or more and you get 10 - 12 of them, they'll be fine in your 100 gal. They can grow out well in there.

Registered Member

I would put 9 discus in a 90 gallon

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David Baker

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I have just been told by someone that keeps,breeds, and sells Discus that you need at least 6 pr 100 ltrs.
    I have just set up a 90 Gallon tank like the OP was saying about hoping to keep Discus.....but this person say's I would need at least 24 fish bare minimum....
    What's your thoughts, should I give up with my idea of having a small shoal of 6 Discus, with around 30 tetras (of some sort not sure yet which), around 20 cories, bristle nose, and some "bit's n bobs"
    in a "nice community" type set up.
    Not looking to breed or anything, just want to keep healthy Discus in a beautiful tank if you know what I mean.
    All and any comments welcome, good or bad.

Registered Member

I have fewer fish in my 220.
    It’s all about pushing the envelope with live animals.
    I don’t like to push the envelope so I keep a low census.
    That bio load seems way too much to me but that’s my opinion.
    There are no hard and fast rules, just how much you’re willing to risk.

Real Name
    Tom

24 in a 90 is a breeder who can’t get rid of his fish! At the most 9 but 7 would be better. He’s probably also saying one 30% water change a week. I’ve got 16 in a 180 and I’m pushing it.857F7AD6-D7A3-4125-A7B2-03FC3457B0AA.jpg

Real Name
    Frank

I have found that one adult discus per 10 gallons is the concensus.
    Experientally, that number has worked well for me.
    So, at the most 9 (but I like pairs; so, say 10). That's max'ed out. 8 for safety.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David Baker

Thank's for the comments
    SO these "9" Discus will be quite small, probably around 2 1/2" to 3".
    I don't have the room for grow out tanks so they will be going in the 90 Gallon tank at that size and grown on to adults
    Would you all say they would be ok at that size, could there be problems like arguing more than usual, not growing the same, lost fish ect,ect ??
    or do you think they really need a smaller tank until they are bigger (which means I couldn't afford to buy 9 fish in the 6"/8" range all in one go for a 90 Gal tank).
    I will be setting up a hospital/quarantine tank but that will only be around 20 Gallons
    Last edited by DaveB; 10-08-2022 at 01:07 AM.

Real Name
    Frank

FWIW, keeping them in the 90 (bare-bottom?), discus like community so they should hang around together. Again, water changes daily (60% or more). Feeding them at least 3x a day. Also, I would only fill the tank to a level of, say, half way to 2/3's until they are 5 inch. Saves on water and the time to change it.
    Grow these out some. In a couple of months, quarantine the rest of your planned fish gradually. Your 20g should work.
    Be sure to get them from a good supplier. Healthy fish go a long way to being healthy fish.

Real Name
    Tom

Franks plan is a good plan. Keep up water changes and feed regularly. Next buy the biggest you can afford. 2-3” discus are a gamble. Buy from a sponsor of this site. Look back at the discus Pingco brings in. He’s got a site here. There can always be problems. So be prepared. Clean water is best and figure many water changes.