ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need immediate help

Registered Member

Default Need immediate help

Iv got a 55gal tank I do a tgird of the water changed every day sometimes everyother day they get fed in an automatic feeder three tines a day no nitrates or nitrites or ammonia water us soft and ph is about 6 to 6.5 no chlorine I use an ri system I pot discus trace in there for nutrition and I use the food that the seller used and I bought them fron discus hans I have had them for 2 months I lost one and abother isn't looking so good I can't see anything wrong with them except that they just stop eating skin looks good just dark and clampped fins gills look fine and eyes and feces it just won't eat it has its balance and everything and the other 4 seem perfect they eat they are bright and happy just the one blue diamond sits in the corner and don't eat ... by the way I am sorry I use the ap and I can't coppy the correct form for doing this I think I got all the info though.

I added the questionnaire below. You should be able to edit this post and add the information.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 08-09-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Need immediate help

Did all your fish come from Hans or did you start out with a few LFS store fish and then add some from Hans?

does your tank still look like this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=#post1098305

You state you have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Is this a guess or do you have a test kit? 0 nitrates is next to impossible with your water change regime and a cycled tank.

Are you using straight Ro/di water with no tap mixed in?

Do you have a QT tank?

Can you post some recent pictures of your fish and your tank?
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 08-09-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

My tank looks like that still and yes I have a test kit I only use ro water I do not have a qt tank the tank its self is about 6 years old had many healthy fish in it for years oh and I started with two fish from the lfs but she buys them from hans it was cheeper that way the other thing I noticed though is that my plants are dwindling the tank temp is at 82 to 84 degrees I do have substrate in it and one fish went down a little before and I treated with a parasite gaurd from I believe tetra I know bad but I don't have a choice for other reasons I have to buy from the pet store but I was after prazi which this had in it and that worked for the other fish a turquoise but the one fish that died never came out of it he just seemed like he was getting better then he fell right back down so I tried this again and its not working the little blue diamond still won't eat I did some research on it and something called hex come up and that same parasite gaurd had the medication reccomended for that so I treated again about three weeks apart .... the only thing these fish are doing is getting dark and not eating the other four fish are fine absolutely happy as can be growing very well .. once in a while they'll flick there fins when they are excited .... but you should know that one fish has a red mark on his body where it looks like she was fighting and lost a scale but the fish dosent seem upset by it at all

Registered Member

My fish now appears to have sonething that looks like black mold growing on him ...he won't let me get a picture ...and I know ots not mold but that's exactly what it looks like little black patches on his body

Registered Member

Default Black mold

I apologise in advance I can not coppy and paste the form I am supposed to use but here goes ph 6 temp 86 5 fish almost no nitrates or nitrate or ammonia I use ro water only the onky chemicals I'm putting in my tank is discus trace and plant fertilizer and I change water every other day 30 % for my 50 gallon tank. I have a blue dimond who was just hiding in the corner turned dark and now he seems to be growing what looks like black mold on his body (I know its not really mold) it looks just like black mold growing inside a cabinet. I had another fish die but I never saw black stuff growing on him but it could be because he was so dark I just couldn't see I have tried parasite gaurd it didn't seem to do anything . My little fish is not eating and he is getting very thin I'd like to not let him go. Please help

Real Name
    Rick

So all your fish are from the LFS, just that the LFS buys from Hans?

We need to see pictures of the fish as they are now, not how they were when you first got them.

If you want a reasonable chance of medicating these fish (should it be necessary) you will either need to get a QT tank or remove all the stuff out of your display tank (gravel/fake plants/no fishing sign/clay skull/etc etc).

As for the "black mold" can't say I have ever seen this, really need to see a picture. It would be nice however if you did not have multiple threads running concurrently, no need for that, it only confuses things.

Based on what you have told us so far, I am pretty certain that the majority of your problems are water related. I would start adding 25% tap water (dechlorinated) to your RO water, do 80% or better water changes daily for at least the first week (once things have sorted themselves out we can cut them back a bit).

Please report back sooner than 2 weeks this time. We are glad to try to help, but that help is more easily given to those that put the time and effort to get us the information we request

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Black mold

We really need to see a pic of this please.

Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Once the fish hit the LFS it is not really fair to call them Hans discus. They were exposed to everything that the local store has. Not sure about the "black mold" deal either but a picture might help.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I'm gonna guess pepper.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    I'm gonna guess pepper.
    My thought too.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    I'm gonna guess pepper.
    How did I not think of that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ok, I merged the threads. The affected fish with the dark areas is a blue diamond according to the OP in post 5.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening