AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: sumps

Real Name
    Austin

Default sumps

Hello,
    just a little confused about sumps and size. My idea of a sump for freashwater is to remove nitrate bye moveing water threw some type of plant that eats it away. Thats all i know thank you.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: sumps

Hi, some people use sumps for that but actually sumps are simply another type of filtration. Sumps have other advantages where they increase water volume, give you a place to hide equipment such as heaters and lend themselves to all types of bio-media options. They are also easier to clean IMO. I personally do not complicate my sumps with plants. I prefer to remove nitrates with WCs.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Once you add plants you are creating a refugium. They need light and fertilizers . So if your main tank does not have plants in it, a plant-refugium would not be to beneficial. The more bio-media in a sump the better you are in controlling nitrates/nitrites and ammonia.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    Austin

Ok so what else do they do? And how would i set one up for about 200-250 gallion planted tank?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Registered Member

Just wondering, do you search the forum before posting new threads? You are asking very basic questions.

The reason I ask, if you don't take the time to do basic research, why do you expect others to take the time and research/write for you?

A 250 gal planted tank requires a lot of work. Starting from type of substrate to lighting, to co2, to plants, to water conditions to filtration.

There are some great threads on planted aquariums. Decide what type of plants you want, low tech or high tech because the setups will be different.

And, if you plan on introducing discus, then you have more factors. Most people will master one or the other (plants or discus) but not both at the same time.

My suggestion, start a bare-bottom tank, then raise your discus. Get familiar with your water conditions and filtration. Once you get that, then you can add substrate, then slowly add your plants, driftwood, etc.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    A 250 gal planted tank requires a lot of work. Starting from type of substrate to lighting, to co2, to plants, to water conditions to filtration.

There are some great threads on planted aquariums. Decide what type of plants you want, low tech or high tech because the setups will be different.

And, if you plan on introducing discus, then you have more factors. Most people will master one or the other (plants or discus) but not both at the same time.

My suggestion, start a bare-bottom tank, then raise your discus. Get familiar with your water conditions and filtration. Once you get that, then you can add substrate, then slowly add your plants, driftwood, etc.
    ive decided on a high light with 1-2 co a min i will master the plants with tetras and the other fish i wish to have after that then add discus 4 at a time i will prob have fake driftwood. substrate will be max 1 and a half inch high. im familar with water conditions from my other tank

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.