ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: discus pair tank

Registered Member

Question discus pair tank

would it be ok to put 3 discus in a 36 or 29 gallon until 2 of them pair off and sell the one that didn't pair. I know people use 20 gallons to breed but I was wondering if a 36 or 29 is too big for the fry to find their parents HELP PLZ
    Last edited by dilldiscus; 08-11-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Default Re: discus pair tank

I use a bare bottom, 29 gallon for breeding with an Eheim 2215 and air stone. No it's not too big for breeding, I've bred them in this tank. I have to cover the Eheim intake with filter foam when the young are free swimming. A 36 gallon would probably be fine too.My typical 29 gallon setup, breeder pair with fry. DISCUS WITH BABIES.jpg
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 08-16-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Sometimes three can be a problem, depending on size and age. Aggression can get bad to the point of one or two dying. Starting three together from 2.5" size might be different. Maybe someone here has done it. I have tried to put two or three young adults together and the aggression was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by dilldiscus View Post
    would it be ok to put 3 discus in a 36 or 29 gallon until 2 of them pair off and sell the one that didn't pair. I know people use 20 gallons to breed but I was wondering if a 36 or 29 is too big for the fry to find their parents HELP PLZ

Your better off to buy a pair if that is what you really want. Or get a group of at least 5-6 and let a pair form. At least a 55 gallon tank is recommended for discus for anything but a breeding pair.

Registered Member

i don't have a big enough money to buy some already paired plus not many places sell paired discus

Registered Member

NEW QUESTION
    what is the minimum size tank for discus until 2 inches for discus fry (I will sell them at 2 inches)
    Last edited by dilldiscus; 08-21-2014 at 11:02 AM.

The standard is 10 gallon per adult fish (6-8") for discus. The standard for non discus is 1 gallon per 1" of fish. I think you would be safe at 2 gallons per inch of fish.

So, if you had 5 1" discus in a 20 gallon tank, you would need a bigger tank when they reach 2". It is better to buy a tank for adult size fish to prevent their being stunted. By the time your 5 discus are 2" you should get them into a 55 gallon to allow for growth to full size.