ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone use canister filters?

Default Re: Does anyone use canister filters?

The magnum 350 has been around a long time and has a great track record. I've been very satisfied with it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kelly Lannin

I have an fx5 on my 150. Hopefully that is enough to keep my discus happy and healthy!

Real Name
    Nathan

I use a Rena Filstar XP4 canister filters with a Hydor 300W Inline Heater for my 64g tank. Inside the filter I have Fluval Pre-Filter media, API Filstar 20ppi and 30ppi foam, Seachem Purigen, and filter floss.

I've used a Fluval on my 90 with no trouble. I only use the ceramic biopellet things and the sponges.

Real Name
    joel

I've had my share of canister filters and they're a pain to clean they do help clear the water and provide great filtration but a sump is so much more effective and waay easier to maintain. My main reason I quit using them is because they would break a year later. I used the Marineland model c360 and the aquatop cf500uv. I used both on my 100g but I loooooovvveee my sump.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

IMO, the best canister filter in terms of ease of use and maintenance from what I have used is the Rena/API Filstar line because it runs pretty good as far as volume, and is relatively cheap.

since the pads are simply squares, it is very easy to cut your own pads for it and not have to worry about water bypassing the pads.

The quick disconnect from the canister body makes pulling it out and putting it back in fast and easy.

from the Rena, I went to an Aquatop CF-500 which is essentially a rebranded Sunsun which does have its share of popularity among users due to its cheap price and built in UV. I personally like it, its got a lot of space, strong flow, and the UV is a nice touch to keep algae down (but not very good for anything else). For 80-120 bucks, its a nice deal, it also has a quick disconnect from the canister to make servicing it quick and easy. Not sure on reliability though but i mainly like it due to flow, features, and price.

But cutting pads for that canister is downright ANNOYING so if you already have a UV sterilizer, or do not wish to use one, id go with a API Filstar XP-XL

I've also used Eheim, Fluval, Via Aqua and other canisters over the years but none of them really left a real impression like these two. Classic Eheims are plenty reliable, I also have had experience maintaining maintaining the Eheim professional 3 series, but it doesnt seem worth the price to me IMO.

FX5/FX6 canisters are powerful and can hold a lot of junk but proper maintenance means to keep the junk to a minimum anyways and they felt rather cumbersome.

I would rather have 2 XP-XLs since they are everything a basic canister needs and no gimmicks.

If i wasnt restrained to the topic of canisters, sump all the way! but a canister on a mature planted tank is very effective, stable and quiet.

My main system uses a miracle mud sump with valisneria growing in it and it is surprisingly good! the tank is very heavily planted though so maybe that's the real stabilizer there.

Registered Member

I'm using an eheim 2080. It's very quiet and I like the dual inlets.

Real Name
    joel

I run two green killing machines the larger models in my sump. They are pretty much a sponge filter with a uv light built in. They help keep my sump clean and clear and suck up and particles that can get by. I had the cf500uv and still do but my lower model broke pump motor went out same with my Marineland. Hope you have better luck with them than me I was obsessed with them till I got my sump and I've been very very satisfied since. I also put my tank heaters in there which helps regulate the temp better and prevent any injuries to my fish.

Registered Member

Something thats definitely helped me and might help you is getting a Y-filter that people use for garden hoses and just attach it somewhere along the intake hose so it collects the nasties before it gets into your filter and you can just attach a ball valve in front of the y-filter to keep siphon and rinse out the mesh on the inside and since it only takes minutes to do you can do it daily. So the only reason you have to go into your filter is when you feel the medias are clogging from bb. I grew out 6 discus from juvenile feeding 4-5 times a day in a bb and maintained a clean bottom doing this setup on a sunsun 304b
    Nova

I used both sponge filters and cainster with my tank. I found the tank water with canister is more clear and clean compare to the tank without. If you're feeding heart meal then best to cover the intake of canister pipe with cloth.

Registered Member

I use eheim 2217 and a JHW302 in my 55gallon but replace the carbon with ammonia remover pouches from aqua clear. They clear the water as well as help with the bio load. Pretty quiet and easy to maintain.

Registered Member

I've been using fluval 406 and 306 on my 90 gallon tank. I saw couple people take the carbon out. Can someone explain what the benefit is on doing that?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Used Filstar XP 3 and Fluval FX 5 filters on my 125g, but went to an DIY sump, and never go back to a canister filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

I use fluvial 306 on my tanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12