ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 240 w/ 75g sump - external or submersible water pump

Default Re: 240 w/ 75g sump - external or submersible water pump

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What are you going to use for the intake on the pump? I ask because I have a pump that does less turnover than that and it partially collapses the intake side of the hose.
    Hi Len,

It's a submersible, it will be in the sump with no intake hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Greg

cool. I'll be interested to see the results you get from it.

Len

Registered Member
    Real Name
    paul

I say submersible pumps all the way.

1. Fewer bulkheads, since the submersible just gets plopped into the sump.
    2. Easier to replace them. Every pump wears out eventually.. Although you can plumb correctly so that external pumps can be replaced without draining the sump.
    3. Heat dissipated into the water, not the air.
    4. I am pretty sure they are less expensive too.

I have two Magdrive 9.5 pumps that pump water from my sump. There's about 6' feet of head, so I guess I'm getting approximately 600 gph from each one (maybe a little less due to loss in elbows). That's more than enough circulation. Two pumps are nice, because when one fails (and it will fail when you are not there, the other pump keeps the water moving and aerated). IT's also great that they are cheap enough so you have spares. You come home, find one not working, pop in a spare and then when you have time, you can disassemble and clean the broken one and get it working again. (Then I usually take the spare back out to keep it fresh).

Greg, any update on the pump you ordered? I'm about to get a large DC pump (Jebao dc12000) for my new build and was curious how you were making out. It seems DC pumps are much more efficient. The one I'm getting is 12000 l/hr so pushes over twice as much water and uses less power than the mag drive 9.5 I use now. Did you have the same experience?

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Greg, any update on the pump you ordered? I'm about to get a large DC pump (Jebao dc12000) for my new build and was curious how you were making out. It seems DC pumps are much more efficient. The one I'm getting is 12000 l/hr so pushes over twice as much water and uses less power than the mag drive 9.5 I use now. Did you have the same experience?
    Hi Len - tank is dry so no first hand reviews to share. I did a ton of research here and on the internet. Everything I've read says DC is much more energy efficient. I especially like the controller which allows for flow adjustment. I understand gate valves work just fine but my theory is, not using a gate valve (I will have one, and only use for fine tuning flow) will decrease back-pressure on the pump and the pump won't have to work as hard pushing my desired flow... thus extending the life of the pump.
    ​Greg

I hadn't considered wear from back pressure on the pump, but I do really like the idea of being able to dial back the flow from the controller.

Len

Registered Member

Greg, any update on the pump you ordered?

I bought one of these submersible pumps for my sump, water flow can be adjusted, and it also has a built in UV lamp, up to now very good pump no problems, water flow is around 2000 GPH, but there are models that have a higher output

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2952.jpg

Registered Member

Question for all, i just bought a 48" tall by 6 feet long tank and wanted to kow if this 12k model will be enought for my set up i am about to start?? will be discus and planted as well. sorry to hi-jack your thread

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by tonysdiscus View Post
    Question for all, i just bought a 48" tall by 6 feet long tank and wanted to kow if this 12k model will be enought for my set up i am about to start?? will be discus and planted as well. sorry to hi-jack your thread
    48" tall tank? Seriously? Please provide a picture of this, I'm rather curious.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Tankster your gallonage is just a bit over mine, 65 gal sump and 3 tanks for 195 gallons.

I am going for a smaller turnover, probably 5 X. Like to see your system. I am cycling the tanks now, the sump is in place under the bigger tank with two others to either side. I still have to plumb the system. I am using overflow boxes. I'd like to hear more about your system.

We just finished the electrical this weekend so will be setting the system up pretty soon. I am looking for an affordable LARGE water tank for ageing/pre-heating my water. I have the 240 and will have a 75 grow out + 40b hospital/dither tank that the storage tank will need to service. I am thinking at least 250 gallons for the storage tank. I have come to find these are not cheap so am on the hunt.
    ​Greg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
    We just finished the electrical this weekend so will be setting the system up pretty soon. I am looking for an affordable LARGE water tank for ageing/pre-heating my water. I have the 240 and will have a 75 grow out + 40b hospital/dither tank that the storage tank will need to service. I am thinking at least 250 gallons for the storage tank. I have come to find these are not cheap so am on the hunt.
    check your local Craiglist. I see many of the large squre ones that are around 300g I believe for around $100-$150

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    check your local Craigslist. I see many of the large squre ones that are around 300g I believe for around $100-$150
    Thanks Ricardo. I have also been checking an auction site called Rasmus. No luck so far but will keep at it.
    ​Greg

Here is a quick video for those of you who might be interested in the dedicated panel I had installed to run the fish-room.
    https://youtu.be/EBcV68cLjq8

*edit - why does it not embed but show a link instead?
    Last edited by Tankster; 07-20-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    ​Greg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast