AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: discus fry

Registered Member

Default discus fry

My one pair of discus would eat their eggs so I decided to try to artificially raise some of the eggs from their next patch. I used a jar with a air stone and used mythelyne blue. I had a really good hatch but they are all on the bottem of the jar and are not swimming around they are going into day 5 of hatching. I heard these being referred to as belly sliders. Would appreciate any advise as to what caused this they are still eating and only a few have died so far.

Default Re: discus fry

So, no wc in the last 5 days? In 5 days, u really can't identify a belly slider. Any pics?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Allwin

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Some will say that MB can cause that issue but I have never used it enough to decide one way or the other. Have you covered the eggs and left them with the parents? Have you covered them and removed the female? They are normally the one that eats the eggs/wigglers.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

No I have done 2 water changes a day and the water is not fouled. John I have them in a jar in a smaller tank that has a lid on it. Thanks to the ones that have replied so far.

Real Name
    Ralph

Have they tried taking any BBS
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

I am feeding them micro worms and will wait a few days and then get them unto decapsulated brime shrimp.

Registered Member

Well I am sorry to say but all of the fry have died. They really never seemed to become free swimming and spent all their time on the bottem of the jar. The water never got fouled and they always had food. I wonder if this is not a swim bladder desease that you hear about. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Were they still in water with MB when they broke loose from the spawn site, or the time they normally would have? There was an article put out perhaps a year ago that indicated having MB in the water at that point caused belly sliders.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Yes they where in MB until they left the spawn site. I kinda remember reading a article on that as well. What a shame to loose those fry. This is why I would like to find out what happened.

Real Name
    Rick

A little bit of confusion here as to what a belly slider is. Springer, first and foremost, I can tell you the issue with your fry was not "belly sliders".
    A belly slider is a fish in which it's swim bladder fails to inflate. This does not occur for several weeks after hatching. Not sure why the fry all died, it is almost always a water quality issue though.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

The reason why I called them belly sliders is because the stayed on the bottom of the jar and tried to swim up the sides only to fall back down and they swam around the bottom. The water quality was good because I did 2 changes a day and when feeding micro worms they don't really foul the water that easy. I would like to find out more about the use of MB, I used to raise all my angles the same way but I never used MB. A funny thing happened the pair layed eggs again and I didn't want to try to artificially raise them I thought I would take a change they stopped eating their eggs and yes the male and female are looking after the eggs. The female removed about 15 eggs that where white and the rest will hatch. I like this way better.

Registered Member

This time the pair will take care of eggs. Just leave them alone.

Registered Member

[QUOTE=springer;1109073]The reason why I called them belly sliders is because the stayed on the bottom of the jar and tried to swim up the sides only to fall back down and they swam around the bottom. The water quality was good because I did 2 changes a day and when feeding micro worms they don't really foul the water that easy. I would like to find out more about the use of MB.

The reason the fry were at the bottom of the jar was because they were consuming their egg sac, once the egg sac are consume the fry are lighter and can swim
    to the surface, this will be on around day seven. Day 5 is too early to determine any sliders as mostly all of the fry should at the bottom too. Day 7 or the day that
    the fry are swimming on the water surface would be the first day of feeding.

Cliff

Registered Member

Thanks for the info. That does make a lot of sense. They where not free swimming around the jar when I started feeding. I starting feeding around day 2 after they fell of the cone. The parents are looking after the new fry quite nice.