Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please someone tell me for sure if this wc schedule should work

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Please someone tell me for sure if this wc schedule should work

Indeed. And yea, I went out and bought one after "the incident" lol

Registered Member

If you want to give your fish the best conditions and make them grow fast and big as possible, you should do WC as much as you can. But if you only want just to keep them healthy and you don't really want to get them to the max size, even 10% per day is good enough. Maybe more if you have load of fish and plants and you can even less if it's a bare bottom and not loaded aquarium, if WC is trouble for you. You also have the right for good ang happy life, not only your fish

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by aovifo View Post
    But if you only want just to keep them healthy and you don't really want to get them to the max size, even 10% per day is good enough...You also have the right for good ang happy life, not only your fish
    Well yes, but i'm still changing 50 gallons every day. Why on Earth did i get a 125 as my first tank? Crazy. Damn you Craigs List!
    .................................................. .........................

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    Well yes, but i'm still changing 50 gallons every day. Why on Earth did i get a 125 as my first tank? Crazy. Damn you Craigs List!
    Haha I did the same thing. Well I bought a 37 and e few discus found this forum. Then bought used 125. Was gonna go for a 90 but found the 125 for less money. I might pick up one of those 50 gallon barrels. I'm using a 32 right now. How are your fish doing how big are they now? Now I have a brand new 37 laying around with nothing in it.

Real Name
    Eric

Thanks for asking Mgus My fish are doing okay, I'd say. I grew one of my discus out from 2.5 inches to about 4.5 inches, he is my oldest at over 1 year, and I have 3 other discus also grown out from juvies to about 4 inches - these I've had for about 6 months. I have a clown loach that is the largest I've ever seen in person - he is about 4.5 inches too, with a thick, meaty body and he is still young. I have a feeling he's gonna reach 8 inches one day.

My last casualty was a beautiful dark angel i got from Hans, who I lost about 3 months ago. He didn't live very long. He died after pooping out something white which looked like part of his digestive tract. Twice. Which tells me there are pathogens and/or parasites existing in the tank now that would harm new healthy discus. Crazy and stupid as it is, I STILL want to try adding 4 - 6 more healthy *adult* discus; 4 sub-par discus in a 125 just isn't enough for satisfaction.

If I had it to do over I would start with a 75 gallon and only adult discus, with only a few plants in pots. As it stands now with the 125, I want to re-do the whole thing properly, clean it out and drop a bleack bomb on the whole system, but I don't have a suitable way to house my stock. I think the plan I have now will involve getting a separate and complete 75g system some day, move all of my current stock into it, and then re-work the 125.

I see you are in Massachusetts; do you happen to be in the northern part?
    .................................................. .........................

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

I'm on the south shore down by Plymouth. I also have had some sort of pathogens in the tank. I just got five fish from Kenny and two of them developed a gill issue I treated for parisites they seem to be doing much better. I would definitely gone about my set up different if I knew more before I started. My first discus were from a Petco and half were sick when I got them three of the seven. I got from them died and two of the surviving ones are runts. Wish I knew more about them before I got them. I was looking through the hobbyist breeder section in here and there is a guy in Newton that has fish for sale sometimes. His fish look nice. There isn't many options for discus in this area

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123