ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Does Anyone Keep Dwarf Gouramis with Their Discus

Default Does Anyone Keep Dwarf Gouramis with Their Discus

I've taken a liking to the various types that I've seen popping up around here in the last few years. They look great and cost about $5.99 each. I've read that they could be good tank mates for Discus. Does anyone keep them with their Discus?

Default Re: Does Anyone Keep Dwarf Gouramis with Their Discus

I have 3 in my discus tank, they don't bother the discus at all, but they did fight among themselves, all of my dwarf gourami are male.

Registered Member

Dwarf gourami Trichogaster laila (better known as a Colisa laila) is a pure discus company choice. First, they only experience high temperatures during the summer (breeding season) and second, breed ones are notorius for carrying and getting sicj with mycobacteria. And noone knows that in their tank.

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Dwarf gourami Trichogaster laila (better known as a Colisa laila) is a pure discus company choice. First, they only experience high temperatures during the summer (breeding season) and second, breed ones are notorius for carrying and getting sicj with mycobacteria. And noone knows that in their tank.
    I don't know about anyone else but this posting has me completely confused. It sounds like yes, they are good idea with discus and then NO, they are not good with discus. Please clarify. Rufus

Registered Member

They are not suitable as they are a notorius mycobacteria carriers and they NEED warm temperatures only during breeding. Warm temperatures faciliate mycobacterias and shorten their lifespane. So, the anwser is a clear no.

Registered Member

Iv'e had them in with discus in the past and they seemed to thrive at 28c even out of breeding periods. They did not bother the discus, they was a nice addidtion in the tank, amazing colours when they thrive. They kept back during feeding untill the discus was done and caused no visible problems. By doing a google search plecocicho seems to be right about the bactera part though so i'd avoid.

Registered Member

I would say they are ok to keep with discus because they get under 6 inches (discus are scared of fish bigger than them) and because they are an community tropical fish
    Some people hang pictures.
    Some people prefer living art in aquariums.

Registered Member

Have the same question as to the topic starter. Found an article https://fishkeepingdaily.com/gourami/care/gourami-care/ saying that discus fish is dangerous to gourami as it can start nipping its fins. People above say that discus can be scared of gourami. Others say that its gourami who gonna be scared of discus. What's in the end? Can I have a 50-gallon fish tank with gourami and discus fish?

Registered Member

I had to move them to another tank because they are very aggressive feeder. My discus couldn't compete with them for food.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dambledar View Post
    Have the same question as to the topic starter. Found an article https://fishkeepingdaily.com/gourami/care/gourami-care/ saying that discus fish is dangerous to gourami as it can start nipping its fins. People above say that discus can be scared of gourami. Others say that its gourami who gonna be scared of discus. What's in the end? Can I have a 50-gallon fish tank with gourami and discus fish?
    Answers are not always straight forward in questions like these. People can only give you their experiences and there's many variables. Tank size, configuration, water parameters are all factors. Also individual fish often have unique personalities, usually in a bad way. The mycobacteria issue is troublesome but i would doubt all gourami's are carriers, especially tank bred ones. It's clear some have kept this combination with some success. My guess is it's doable but proceed with caution and be prepared to rehome fish that are incompatible. This probably applies to any fish you add, not just gourami's.