ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: In-line heaters

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed Sye

Default In-line heaters

I use canister filter (Eheim) for my tank. I thinking of purchasing an in-line heater. I like the idea of less stuff in the tank. I've been told that the are much more efficient and better at keeping temps consistent throughout the tank. Does anyone have experience to share.
    Ed
    Last edited by edsye; 08-21-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: In-line heaters

Yes, I have had Hydor inline heaters for years and I couldn't be happier. They keep the temp steady as a rock, allow you to take the heater out of the tank, and not one of them has ever gone bad on me. I have had roughly 6 of them.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I use 2 on my 180 upstairs and have had no issues.I put a 3d background on it,and I didn't want heaters in the tank,and don't have a sump.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Matt

Hydors, only way to go. I have 2, 1 for each Eheim and they are the most consistent heaters I've ever owned.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed Sye

I could easily use two eheim filters on my tank (I have the cannister filters) so I could use two in-line heaters that would provide redundancy.

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

I have a brand new 90G tank that I set up using a 300W Hydor. It's only been running a couple of months, but it is steady as a rock once I set the temp. I wanted it external to the tank for aesthetics, but I've also read issues with discus and heaters, so it is safer for the fish, too.

If you read the reviews on Amazon, you'll see quite a few horror stories and dramatic denunciations of all things Hydor.

I think those reviews are from people who weren't too knowledgeable, but on the other hand I can't shake my bias against cheap Chinese products that can have catastrophic failures.

Real Name
    Ricardo

The only poor reviews I have ever seen from Hydor were from the submersible heaters, never from the inline ones.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Eleven one-star reviews for the inline model here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-In-Line-...cm_cr_dpwidget

I have an inline hydor that I believe has failed the light stopped working and I never hear it come on anymore. I'll have to figure something out before it starts getting cold.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by spiffyfish View Post
    I have an inline hydor that I believe has failed the light stopped working and I never hear it come on anymore. I'll have to figure something out before it starts getting cold.
    There always will be bad reviews. For me Hydors have worked well. Jagers are very reliable as well.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

I've had 4 Hydors running for years and years, with never any issue at all. Compared with other heaters, they are phenomenal.

Sounds like there have been some quality control issues at times. Any thermostat can stick, though... prudent to add a controller when you have a thousand dollars' worth of fish in a glass box.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

I am a Jager person myself and would rather stick one in a sump before sticking one in the tank and would rather have the heater in the tank before having one inline JUST IN CASE the filter or pump stops working.

So in the event the pump goes out, its only a minor problem and not a burning-wet-zappy catastrophe.

of course, I also have an air pump in addition to water circulation or a 2nd water pump provide redundancy in that regard.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

for those of you that use external controllers for temperature, what do you use?