ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: having trouble keeping my red line torpedo barbs with my discus!! HELP!

Registered Member

Default having trouble keeping my red line torpedo barbs with my discus!! HELP!

hi all !! im having trouble keeping my red line torpedo barbs with my discus, I just wanted to know if its ok to for them to be together ..

I bought 10 RLTB the and when I was accustoming them to the discus tank I noticed that they weren't themselves, a few of them started to swim to the top and looked lifeless , I don't want to put them into the tank and lose them all , ( specially cause they cost 80 bucks each ! ! - im from Australia btw )

my ph is slightly lower then 7 and the water is 28-30 degrees (82-86 Fahrenheit), iv had my discus in there for just over a year now and have never had a issue, I looked online and got mixed answers..

please help ! ! !

Registered Member

Default Re: having trouble keeping my red line torpedo barbs with my discus!! HELP!

Your temp might be the problem - especially the higher end of it. Barbs are typically kept at the 78-80 mark, 82+ will be stressful on them & lead to shortened life spans in the best case scenario.

Default Re: having trouble keeping my red line torpedo barbs with my discus!! HELP!

I've had pretty good success keeping roselines and while the temp might be a little high. I don't think that's the main problem. Denison barbs come from fast moving streams and require a decent current along with heavily oxygenated water. I suspect that they're not getting enough water movement or oxygen as the higher temperatures deplete the level of oxygen in the water and therefore require addition aeration.
    ''When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest.-Anonymous ''

Real Name
    Christopher

I have a school of the barbs, I called them Denison's but there are a few names. When I got them they were very small and I started them at 78 and worked up 84 over a couple months. I noticed a second air-stone really livened them up. Now I run between 84-86 with my discus in a planted tank. They live in rivers so good water movement is key. The temp is a hurdle but they will acclimate if you do it slowly. Plus, they will put on an extra yellow smudge on the pectoral fins after a while.

I have some in my angel tank. But, would not suggest putting them with your discus. They are too fast. The discus would have a hard time getting their fair share of food.

Real Name
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by daffyfish View Post
    I have some in my angel tank. But, would not suggest putting them with your discus. They are too fast. The discus would have a hard time getting their fair share of food.
    daffyfish has a point, my tank is a 120 long and the barbs swim in one area and the discus in another. I usually feed the two at the same time to avoid competition. Something to think about.

Registered Member

I'll keep them separate for now .. See if I can bring the temp up slowly ,,
    Thank you all !!! Much appreciated

Don't forget to increase the oxygen, I firmly believe that's the problem.
    ''When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest.-Anonymous ''

Real Name
    cesar

Ah I love roseline sharks! here they cost around $30 2.5".I have a school with my discus in a 130g and they do great! The temp is 83F but I do have one of those 21in led moonlight/bubble strip + another side air pump set under wood. I wouldn't worry about water flow but oxygen might be they problem, like stated above. I feed my discus multiple times so there's food for everyone, however it is true that they eat the food fast.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

I never had an issue with them in a discus tank between 28 - 30c. I would think that dissolved oxygen is the issue their by the sounds of it??
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

Thanks again everyone,, I'll defiantly get another air pump for the tank and see how I go,, I will let everyone know the outcome !! Fingers crossed it all goes we'll ..