ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Pat's Altums

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Pat's Altums

Here you are Varna

Universal Rocks 48-Inch by 24-Inch Rocky Flexible Aquarium Background https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GZ1X6Y..._DDEMvb5XJD4XH

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WGe1t9BxbopI37

Here are my first altum batch. 10months with me. All of them are from same batch/month/year. I still cant believe the size differences.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Don't have him quite trained yet.
    Pat
    Altum_Yawn.jpg Rreewwwff. I like it !!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Hi pat,

Would love to see how they turned out in these past 2months please post video

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Varma View Post
    Hi pat,

Would love to see how they turned out in these past 2months please post video
    Hi Varma,

As I mentioned before these altums went thru a rough patch over Christmas when I had company for a month resulting in them hiding for up to three months. I lost three of the nine over this period and lost one recently after a large water change. Of the five left they have returned to normal behavior wise and eat like pigs. However they developed pink noses and some pink lines bordering the body. I have been in contact with one of the finarama folk and he thinks this is a bacteria (Mark of Discus Origins confirmed this) perhaps caused by stress. I am treating this with antibiotics in food but may have waited to late to treat this. So if I can not clear it up I will be culling the group.

I also started with a new batch of babies and they are doing well. I am taking the lessons learned on this batch and appling it to the second batch which is doing very well.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Varma,

As I mentioned before these altums went thru a rough patch over Christmas when I had company for a month resulting in them hiding for up to three months. I lost three of the nine over this period and lost one recently after a large water change. Of the five left they have returned to normal behavior wise and eat like pigs. However they developed pink noses and some pink lines bordering the body. I have been in contact with one of the finarama folk and he thinks this is a bacteria (Mark of Discus Origins confirmed this) perhaps caused by stress. I am treating this with antibiotics in food but may have waited to late to treat this. So if I can not clear it up I will be culling the group.

I also started with a new batch of babies and they are doing well. I am taking the lessons learned on this batch and appling it to the second batch which is doing very well.

Pat
    I hope they pull through for you Pat.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I hope they pull through for you Pat.
    Thanks Ricardo, I did also
    Pat

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Hi Pat,

I am treating this with antibiotics in food but may have waited to late to treat this. So if I can not clear it up I will be culling the group.
    I don't like using antibiotics in food because it seams to get diluted real fast in the water before the Discus can eat it, unless you use a food like Discus Bits or other pellets, so it can sink in and the Discus eat it right away as soon as it reaches the water.

I have even put a little Metro in with about a ounce or two of my cultured Live Tubifex worms or live black worms and let them soak it in for about five or ten minutes. If you put to much in you will kill them ...just enough so they will be alive when you feed your Discus....this might take some practice.I have done this many times over the years.

When I got my Altums last November they looked like they were about 4 or 5 months old. I bought six and was having problems and I guessed it was Columnaris I treated with Furan-2 that didn't seam to help and two kicked the bucket.

Then I read about Fucin that Bill from Inland Empire Discus was selling so I bought some and it seamed to work and my four Altums are now healthy and growing strong and big http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...E-AVAILABILITY

Hope this helped ...don't give up.

Rick

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Rick,

I am actually working with one of the guys over at finarama on this and he though my med delivery system might work. I take about a 1/8 teaspoon of the kanamycin and add it to a small water bottle and fill the bottle half full. I then take a tiny bit of the liquid and add it to a small cup. I place the small cup in the mic for 5 seconds to warm the water a wee bit and place one of Al's FDBW cubes in the cup to allow it to adsorb the liquid. Once the cube can adsorb all it can I press it against the glass and the cube is gone within a minute.

I have just completed a 10 day treatment and will allow the fish to rest. While the fish have brighten up a bit and have a bit of color return to their eyes and pinkness remains the same. Mark (Discus Origins) suggested the fish have had the bacteria so long that it may be impossible to treat and Mike the finarama guy also suggests it may take two treatments so this is where I am with the fish.

I am raising a new group of altums and they are doing very well.

Pat

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Hi Pat,

Yes FDBW will work.

I want to say something about what I said,
    I have even put a little Metro in with about a ounce or two of my cultured Live Tubifex worms or live black worms and let them soak it in for about five or ten minutes. If you put to much in you will kill them ...just enough so they will be alive when you feed your Discus
    This is a last resort used only when the Discus will not eat..they have to get the metro into there gut in order for it to kill the hex, and live worms might be to tempting and they eat it on instinct.

I hope your Altums get well soon under your don't give up attitude.

Rick

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930