ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Super Red Ancistrus

Default Super Red Ancistrus

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience breeding these. I have two males and a female that I picked up an auction last year. I've got babies that I know at least came from one of the males. I believe that the female is the mother, but I'm not totally sure as I have other plecos in the tank and the babies all appear to be brown, unfortunately.
    Joan

Registered Member

Default Re: Super Red Ancistrus

One of your browns may well be the mother. I have super reds and even the very tiny young are light - they look similar to my albinos at a very young age.

Ron

Real Name
    Jacklyn

you probably already know this obvious fact but you need to isolate them if you want them to breed specifically.
    ~JACKLYN~

Yes, I'm aware. I was curious about whether they usually throw all super red fry. They looked yellow at first, but now have turned. It's weird because there were two other plecos in the cave with the male and fry. One was the super red female, the other was a completely different pleco- one of my brown with white spots varieties (not sure which one it was as it was crammed in the cave). I wasn't really focused on breeding them right now, so of course that's why they finally did.
    Joan

Real Name
    Ralph

From what I have read over the years...the Super Reds were developed from Red Calico's. Plecos normally prefer their own cave and find it weird that you have a parent Pleco with fry and other adults in the same cave. But to safely answer your question...the Super Reds will breed true...and to find out if your pair were both Super Reds, see how the fry turn out.
    I have a friend on Canada Pleco Forum who was successful at developing Long-Fin Super Reds which he has bred.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

I have Teo males in the same cave. But it's actually an osi tree stump. I had albinos and seamed and now the last two batches I started getting calicos.

Thanks for the good info. It is weird that there were so many plecos in the cave especially since the cave was tiny. In the past when I've had plecos breed, I've only had the father stay in the cave with the fry. The babies are growing fast, I guess time will tell as their patterning develops. They might turn out to be pretty cool, but this batch won't be super reds.
    Joan