ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Generators

Default Re: Lets Talk Generators

SO I have question for you all.. How many of you that have generators ground them when you use them? and what do you ground them to?

My Ryobi invert generator manual has some "practical" guidelines for grounding...

The National Electric Code contains several practical ways in
    which to establish a good ground source. If a steel or iron rod is
    used, it should be at least 5/8 in. diameter, and if a nonferrous
    rod is used, it should be at least 1/2 in. diameter and be listed as
    material for grounding. Drive the rod or pipe to a depth of 8 ft. If
    a rock bottom is encountered less than 4 ft. down, bury the rod
    or pipe in a trench
    Not that I don't agree with grounding a generator ...but the above method does make a portable generator a tad less portable I think.. I'm lucky if I can drive something 2 feet into this New England rubble they call soil. It sounds more like they used guideline for grounding a house! Not that I would know.. any electricians care to comment on this?

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-03-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rick

When you buy an electric start generator, typically they do not come with a battery, so your going to have to buy that seperatly, at an additional cost of $45.00 to $75.00. We don't, we just pick up one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Battery-...item2593959af2

Get more use out of this than a generator battery or a generator battery + charger. They come in a million different configurations. So, our electric start generators don't have a battery

We can take 3-4 portable generators to a job sight and only one pack (although typically in these scenarios we bring along the towable 25 kw diesel generator).
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Eric

Real Name
    Eric

I mean for 1 single tank. I have no real idea whether or not an uninterruptible power supply exists that could handle a tank for a few hours, but it would be convenient...

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    SO I have question for you all.. How many of you that have generators ground them when you use them? and what do you ground them to?

My Ryobi invert generator manual has some "practical" guidelines for grounding...

Not that I don't agree with grounding a generator ...but the above method does make a portable generator a tad less portable I think.. I'm lucky if I can drive something 2 feet into this New England rubble they call soil. It sounds more like they used guideline for grounding a house! Not that I would know.. any electricians care to comment on this?

-al
    I think, Al, that's another benefit of using a manual transfer switch to your home's electrical panel. My connection via a heavy duty electrical cord to the panel's transfer switch is 220v, and the connector has four leads. I believe one of those leads is the ground, and so grounds the generator to the house ground. -Don

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    UPS systems are good for computer systems but generally not good for fish tanks. The reason is simply that its a battery...batteries run out, without a way to recharge it like a generator, or solar panels, you really have nothing. A typical storm outage can last days...So if you are looking to protect the fish for an extended period of time (days verse hours) go with a generator. One note though...if you have one tank, you may be able to use your Car's battery system and run an inverter off it. They can be had in the 700-1500 watt range for under $100.00 Before I had a generator,I used these for years to run the air pumps and filters in my fishroom... You hook it up to your battery and run an extension cord. Its not pretty but it does work if you get one big enough to handle the tanks power consumption. You just need to run the car intermittently to charge the battery. Its not an ideal way to go, but I got thru several power outages using it and I had multiple tanks going.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Rick

UPS systems are good for computer systems but generally not good for fish tanks.
    Not to mention that most UPS systems are now controlled by computer software and will not work as a stand alone units. If one wanted to go this route, be better off with a large marine deep cycle battery, trickle charger, and an inverter as Al suggests. By the time you do this, your better off with a harbor frieght generator

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Christopher

Brown-outs are more common for me so I use an old eaton UPS I refurbished. My two magnum 350's only pull about 35 watts each and I don't connect my lights. In a few test runs I did, this configuration can support both filters for almost 60 mins, and this is a big UPS. So it is no good for an overnight situation. I would love to get one of these generators for more extreme outages.

An added bonus of the UPS is the Voltage regulation, which is really nice for my equipment when the power fluctuates.

Real Name
    Eric

Very interesting info here. I love the idea of running my tank off my car's battery with an inverter lol. It's just the kind of crazy setup that may be nutty but actually works And I have 2 magnum 350's myself, so A113N your example is quite relevant in my case. But anyway, back to generators...I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase a modest one to save my tank during blackouts, it's just I'll have to figure out the logistics - obviously it'll have to be outside, but I'll have to run a power line to inside...gotta figure this out. Thanks for sharing info on UPS's.

I run a Genrac 4000xl with a manual transfer switch in the basement and a heavy duty cable quick connect weather proof box on the outside of the house by my garage door. I have 6 circuits wired into the manual box - 2 of which are tied together to run the well pump. I have 2 wells, one with 1HP motor and one with a 3/4 HP motor. the 3/4 is connected to the transfer box. When we need to take showers - we turn everything else off and only run the well pump. Induction motors can draw up to three times normal operating amperage in order to start. The generator supports continuous 4000w and peak up to 5000w. 5 gallon gas tank, low oil sensor and auto idle settings when it's not under load (which is never). I've had this generator for 15 years and have had to use it every winter in NH for the last 15 years. We generally lose power from 1 to 3 days at least once every winter. Sometimes - if there's a lot of ice - many more days than that. Our record in this house is 10 days! I have several outlets on the tank floor that are tied into the panel and I just run an extension cord across the room and keep the taking running with no lights.

I had to replace the low oil sensor once - it was bad and wouldn't let the generator run for more than 30 seconds! I also have a bit of an oil leak - very slow but I'm not sure how to fix that without pulling the whole block apart. Pretty sure it's the main seal.

Adam

So I have a another side Hobby, I like to tinker with generators. I like the challenge of trying fix one when its not working right. I use the activity to learn more about them.My son and I built a really cool generator shed that will one day house a backup generator for the house.

Just curious as to what make and models you guys have and use for your fish rooms and/ or work. I know everyone has their favorites and ones they hate.. What fuels do yours run on, what kind of issues have you had.

I thought it would also be good to bring this up as there issues for novices to generators to consider like grounding, fuel storage issues, best oils to use. etc.

Hope you won't mind sharing a bit about your generators here. Coiuld be very helpful to others.

Thanks,
    al

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by aalbina View Post
    I run a Genrac 4000xl with a manual transfer switch in the basement and a heavy duty cable quick connect weather proof box on the outside of the house by my garage door. I have 6 circuits wired into the manual box - 2 of which are tied together to run the well pump. I have 2 wells, one with 1HP motor and one with a 3/4 HP motor. the 3/4 is connected to the transfer box. When we need to take showers - we turn everything else off and only run the well pump. Induction motors can draw up to three times normal operating amperage in order to start. The generator supports continuous 4000w and peak up to 5000w. 5 gallon gas tank, low oil sensor and auto idle settings when it's not under load (which is never). I've had this generator for 15 years and have had to use it every winter in NH for the last 15 years. We generally lose power from 1 to 3 days at least once every winter. Sometimes - if there's a lot of ice - many more days than that. Our record in this house is 10 days! I have several outlets on the tank floor that are tied into the panel and I just run an extension cord across the room and keep the taking running with no lights.

I had to replace the low oil sensor once - it was bad and wouldn't let the generator run for more than 30 seconds! I also have a bit of an oil leak - very slow but I'm not sure how to fix that without pulling the whole block apart. Pretty sure it's the main seal.

Adam
    One plus about buying a Generac is that there made right up the road here in Wisconsin.
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    One plus about buying a Generac is that there made right up the road here in Wisconsin.
    I did not know that Keith....good to know, so you have a generator choice thats made in the USA and has a very good reputation.

thanks,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Generac is the way to go. mine is a portable 8500w constant 10,000w start up with an electric starter. It;s hooked up to a professionally installed tranfer box with 8 stations. Here, in northern Ct. it;s a given that we will lose power once or twice a season , the longest 3 years ago was 11 days and yes, getting gas was a problem.I had to drive 15 miles to get it.
    4 of the most important things I think are
    1 have a electrician install it. hooking it straight into an outlet is asking for trouble, particularly for the linemen from backfeed.
    2 start it up at least ever2 mts.
    3 use the blue Stabil.in you gas.
    4 pray that you don't have to use it.
    Jay

Thanks for the input Jay! Hope all is well with you my friend! (making any wine)

Many of you guys probably have a Tractor Supply Company near you. I've always found great products there and they carry a wide assortment of generators. I've found that alot of times people working there are more knowledgeable than what you commonly find at big box hardware stores....so if you are looking for generators, maybe try there if ones local.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...ble_Generators

If you are looking for a good small generator, look at the invert generators like this Generac® Inverter Generator, 2,000 Watts

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...rter-generator

They won't run your house, but they can handle a few tanks no problem and they are super quiet, and super good on gas. I had a tough time deciding on my Ryobi verses the the Generac Inverter Generator, my choice came down to what I could find in stock at the time.

hth,
    al

Eric, TSC also has alot of inverters.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Eric

Eric, TSC also has alot of inverters.
    Thanks for the tip Al! It just so happens that there's a TSC right in my neighborhood, so that's convenient

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast