ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Generators

Registered Member

Default Re: Lets Talk Generators

I have a Honda EB5000 that lives on a cement pad inside its own little house. Like Don from Virginia, I had a electrician install a manual transfer switch in the cellar. When bad weather is forecast I hook the cord up on both ends. If the power goes out I start the generator go to the cellar and start flipping switches I heat ,cook and have hot water via propane so this generator does my whole house! I do have it picked up every year and serviced because I have too much invested in fish to take a chance it won't turn over in the event I need it. And as I am sure the other members who live in CT can attest to...having a generator was a god send when storm Sandy hit 3 years??? back! Even the neighbors were happy as I was the house to warm up food or shower at 11days no power I used about 4 gallons a day for that storm but I thank god I had it! IMO if you can get a generator get one

Ok I Was wondering during if I should get a generator to power the fish room in emergencies, how do I do that exactly? Total noob
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Marnie, start with deciding if you even need one. Do you have frequent power outages? And, if you did have one for 2 or 3 days, could you keep your fish alive for that time? Once you decide that you want one, you need to figure out what size, and that will depend on whether or not you just want to power a few air stones and heaters, or if you want to power house circuits.

Once you can answer these questions, you can start to decide how to approach the situation. A small, inexpensive generator may be all you need. just my 2 cents.

yes we do have frequent short power outs and every now and then a big one, just got a new 6k one with the used RV (dog bus i call it) i got, wonder how to hook it up though have absolutely no clue!! ty for the tips Don, guess i need to join a generator forum LOL
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

There are two ways to hook it up. During a power outage you can simply run extension cords from your pumps and heaters outdoors to the generator. That's one way, and you'll have cords all over the floor. Another way is to buy a manual transfer switch, that's what I did. But they have to be wired up by a professional electrician. That way, when the power goes out, you just start the generator and flip a few switches to the circuits you want to energize in the house.

WARNING! Do not ever use the generator indoors or in any enclosed space. Always outdoors, and not near an open window, either, they are deadly.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Funny how things work, this thread gets started and we have storms roll through DFW and i am without power for 12 hours. I didnt loose any fish but my red marlboro lost a lot of it's color. Needless to say I realize if something serious happens and the power is out for any longer i'm probally in trouble. I looked at two, the generac 5500w and the 7000w from harborfreight. My question is would the generac be big enough? This is what I would need to run

8 - 300w heaters
    1 - 150w heater
    2 - canister filters (rena xps and aquatop 400) I could take these off line if I had to un run with and aip pump and sponge filter
    1 - alita 15a air pump
    4 - powerheads (maxi jet 400)
    2 - frig's
    1 - tv and cable box
    3 - box fans and a lamp or two

THe heaters are what suck up the most wattage. If you're planning on running extension cords, I'd say you're in good shape with either of those two generators. The refrigerators will draw some, but the filters, air pumps and powerheads, and fans, won't draw much at all. If you find that there's too much demand on the generator, you can just unplug one or more of the appliances. Coffee pots and clothes irons really draw a lot of power, careful with those. Your generator should come with a circuit breaker if the demand exceeds its limit.

If you're planning on wiring the generator to your electrical panel, I highly recommend hiring an electrician who can advise you what circuits to connect.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    THe heaters are what suck up the most wattage. If you're planning on running extension cords, I'd say you're in good shape with either of those two generators. The refrigerators will draw some, but the filters, air pumps and powerheads, and fans, won't draw much at all. If you find that there's too much demand on the generator, you can just unplug one or more of the appliances. Coffee pots and clothes irons really draw a lot of power, careful with those. Your generator should come with a circuit breaker if the demand exceeds its limit.

If you're planning on wiring the generator to your electrical panel, I highly recommend hiring an electrician who can advise you what circuits to connect.
    Ok thanks Don for the reply, if either should do it I will prob go with the Generac.

this is great Don, really makes me happy that i know i can keep everything going in a power out, 6k generator should be good for all the discus heaters etc i have rofl
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by jsullins View Post
    Funny how things work, this thread gets started and we have storms roll through DFW and i am without power for 12 hours. I didnt loose any fish but my red marlboro lost a lot of it's color. Needless to say I realize if something serious happens and the power is out for any longer i'm probally in trouble. I looked at two, the generac 5500w and the 7000w from harborfreight. My question is would the generac be big enough? This is what I would need to run

8 - 300w heaters
    1 - 150w heater
    2 - canister filters (rena xps and aquatop 400) I could take these off line if I had to un run with and aip pump and sponge filter
    1 - alita 15a air pump
    4 - powerheads (maxi jet 400)
    2 - frig's
    1 - tv and cable box
    3 - box fans and a lamp or two
    You need to look up the wattage on each item than will be simultaneously drawing off the generator and buy a generator that can handle that number. There is a difference in running load and starting load for certain types of motors - like a refrigerator. You may need up to three times the running load to start an induction motor. Once it's running it takes a lot less to keep running. Many generators have a running rating and a peak rating - this is why. You want to be able to handle the peaks because browning out power to electronics is very bad for them.

When my well pump kicks on when it's running from the generator I can hear the additional startup load as the engine bogs down a bit and then surges to provide enough startup power for the well pump induction motor.

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just got an email from Harbor Freight...they are having a serious sale on their predator line of generators...http://m.harborfreight.com/catalogse...tor+Generators

Might be a good deal for someone looking.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Now this is cool... I follow alot of DIY sites and really enjoy reading all the great projects..I also try and be prepared for the worst case scenario, though I avoid describing myself as a "doomsday prepper" more as a "pragmatic prepper" that and someone that just likes thinking beyond the grey areas. Its one reason I got interested in generators and alternative power sources.

Anyhow, one area that really interests me is "wood gasification". You can actually make gas vapors you can burn in an engine. The process is not that hard. I have seen quite a few working models. Just got a cool link emailed me from one of my favorite sites. Instructables.com

http://www.instructables.com/id/Char...red-Generator/

this guy used charcoal which is definetly easier than using raw wood itself.. I know it won't interest all that many here, and no, I am not recommending it as a way to power your home electric or fishtank needs....But you never know... Someone out there may see this post get interested and take the idea a step forward.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-10-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Rick

Next up.....how to make ethanol........

I understand there really is money in it.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Steve

An old sticky, but seems appropriate this time of year. I know I've asked before, but never followed through, so...

Are there any general guidelines, recommendations for size and type of generator to buy for the home back-up? I know it depends on what you want it for.

I'm thinking the appliances and necessities around the house, some electronics, and then at least an air pump and a couple tank heaters.

I've read inverters are prefered for some uses.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    An old sticky, but seems appropriate this time of year. I know I've asked before, but never followed through, so...

Are there any general guidelines, recommendations for size and type of generator to buy for the home back-up? I know it depends on what you want it for.

I'm thinking the appliances and necessities around the house, some electronics, and then at least an air pump and a couple tank heaters.

I've read inverters are prefered for some uses.
    Steve,
    The first step is to add up what you want or need to run in power outage. Theres a bunch of websites that list the particulars...

https://www.daftlogic.com/informatio...onsumption.htm

https://www.energuide.be/en/question...iances-use/71/

Most people can easily get by with a 4000 watt generator and extension cords. That will handle your refrigerator and fishroom stuff, most plug in electronics. You could also make your life easier and safer by having a transfer switch put in that safely connects the generator to your house power system.. A 6000-7000 watt unit would be good for houses that have large heating and ac systems. I just use portable generators here, and my largest is a 4500 watt one that I use ..I have a 7500 watt commercial duty one I got for a steal on craigslist but I never use it...its too loud!

Keep in mind in a disaster type scenario, a bigger generator is not necessarily better. Even with the newer generators being better on gas, The more watts, the more gas you will use. Which is fine if you have Gas... which may not be readily available depending on the event. Thats why my favorite generator is a 2200 watt invert generator.. Its keeps the fish alive and alternates with the frigerator for the food. It puts out pure sine waves so its great for any electronics.. and you can double up the Invert Generators with a special cord turning the one 2200 generator into 4400 watts that runs in sync

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast