ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water changes w/ python, ro, and stairs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Water changes w/ python, ro, and stairs

First off I do not have any discus yet. I just got my 75g up and running and am cycling it right now. I'm also trying to simplify water changes and get all the bugs worked out of my system before I spend the money on discus. I just received the 50 foot python I ordered on amazon today and it works great for draining the tanks. I can reach my 75g easily along with my other two tanks. I think I'm still going to get an extension though so the hose can lay down flat instead of taking every shortcut I could find, but that's not my question. What I want to figure out is filling the tanks with the python. I know I can just turn the nozzle on the python and send tap water to the tanks but that's not what I want to do. I have an RO system connected to a Brute trash can and I want to pump from there. The problem I think I may run into is the RO system and reservoir are down stairs and the only tank down there is my 36g. My 29g and 75g are both upstairs. I have a small pump in the reservoir for circulation but I don't see it being strong enough to pump upstairs. I figured I could connect one of the extensions you can get for the python to a stronger pump but don't have any experience doing this and thought I would see if anyone else is pumping water upstairs and if so what pumps might work. Thanks ahead of time and please note that I know discus don't require RO water so please don't turn this into one of those debates. I don't trust our water and we don't drink it without filtering it ourselves so I don't want to put it in my tanks without filtering it.

Default Re: Water changes w/ python, ro, and stairs

Problem is you have no control of the pump from upstairs and can easily overfill the tanks with no stopping the flow.
    Mark

I do not use the same python for filling, but that's just me. What I did was, I purchased this syphon from Jehmco (JSSSP-FGHT). I put it in my RO tanks and attach my python to it.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html

Then, I plug the pump into a remote control outlet I bought on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181368740110?lpid=82

This way when I am filling a tank upstairs, I can control the water with a push of a button.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

That will work, helps to have a reverse syphon to empty the fill hose too.
    Mark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    I do not use the same python for filling, but that's just me. What I did was, I purchased this syphon from Jehmco (JSSSP-FGHT). I put it in my RO tanks and attach my python to it.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181368740110?lpid=82

This way when I am filling a tank upstairs, I can control the water with a push of a button.
    This sounds like a pretty good idea. I haven't been able to find much on this product though. I did find a thread where you said you were having problems with the flow rate on this unit, were you able to figure that out? I'm assuming so since that thread was from 2011 I think and you're still using it. Also what is the range of those remote control outlets?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post

This sounds like a great idea but I haven't been able to find much on this product. I did find a thread of yours from a few years ago and you were having problems with the flow on this unit. Were you able to get that issue fixed? Also how far is the range on those remote outlets? Do they work pretty well if its downstairs and your upstairs? Thanks again!