ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angelfish grow-outs

Default Re: Angelfish grow-outs

Thanks, Ricardo. So far I'm really happy with them. Angels don't look like much at pea to dime size, but once they hit quarter+ you can really see the potential start to shine through.

I moved them into a 150 tonight for grow-out. I forgot how heavy that tank was!

Registered Member

Looking great Ryan! I just can't seem to not have an angel tank. I kept wild Peruvian about a year ago & swore I'd never keep domestics again after I kept wilds. I like everything about them - the way their color & irridesence slowly came around as they settled in to their fiesty & territotorial nature. They seemed so much more alive & interactive than domestics. In March I got some F1 Brazilians from Bill @ Inland Empire at quarter size & I'm having a really good time growing them out - just as fiesty as wilds! One mistake I made was too much current in their tank. I had a AC110 HOB on their standard 90gal and thought it would be fine, but it caused a couple bent dorsals that I'm kicking myself over. Glad to see you back as active on Simply & MFK as you have been lately!

Ryan, I really like those wild crosses. I bet you will have some real beauties when they are grown.

Ardan

October 4, 2014

I moved the whole group into a 150 gallon grow-out. The trouble is that it has a black background which make point-and-shoot pictures nearly impossible, especially with the light coming in the window directly across from the tank.

The growth has slowed down a bit, at least in my eyes, but they are still turning out nice considering I've only had them about 2 1/2 months. I know a few of the pictures are blurry but I wanted to show off the teal iridescence that is developing on the pinoy paraibas.

The blue marbles are the smallest fish in the batch but they were also the smallest when I got them, about pea-sized.

Looking good Ryan, beginning to see good colour
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I'm not so thrilled with the size or the speed of growth on the blue marbles. I read that some of the blue lines are slow growing. That's disappointing because their color is actually really intense blue with black markings. They are beautiful, just small and awkwardly shaped. I am probably going to ditch them.

On the other hand, the wild crosses and the pinoys continue to impress me. They are about 4 - 5" high now, a little taller than a Hydro V sponge. If they were 5 weeks old when I got them at less than dime size, I'm estimating them to be about 4 months old. I think the size is good for 4 months old, considering I see a lot of breeders selling much smaller angels as "pre-breeders."

I don't know if it's possible (I need to play with the genetics calculator) but I think the pinoy paraibas have a streaked gene. I notice lighter colored streaks on them. You can see it on the dark fish above.

Real Name
    Bud Smith

Ryan - you have some nice angels - I like the pinoys and they have a nice shape. Good Job
    Bud

Registered Member

Ryan can you tell me were you got the angel thanks Ed

Ed, they came from Angelmania. I got a second batch of fish from them and I was less impressed. I actually would not order from them again. People can PM me if they want to know more.

Nice Job with them Ryan! They are really nice!

Ardan

Unfortunately the larger angels seem to have stalled in growth. Lately there has been a dramatic uptick in aggressiveness, to the point that some of my fish are shredded. The wild crosses don't have a mark on them, but all of the pinoy paraibas have tons of bite marks on the fins and bodies. Then this afternoon I walked in and found this:

It explains the recent attitude problems. What I'm seeing now is just how brutal wild or wild cross fish really are. I've had experience with aggressive wild angels before but I didn't realize the crosses would be just as nasty. These fish are in a 150 gallon tank and the female has claimed more than 50% of it to herself. She's guarding about a 4' section of a 6' tank, and all the other angels are piled into the opposite end. I may have to stick in some vertical driftwood or tall potted silk plants to break up her line of sight and give her tankmates a rest.

. She's guarding about a 4' section of a 6' tank, and all the other angels are piled into the opposite end

WOW
    So did you figure out a solution? That is one territorial angelfish! Talk about guarding.... did the eggs hatch? If so, is she even worse tempered?

The best solution was to scrape off the eggs. I don't really want to spawn them yet since they're a little less than a year old. I'd rather they put on a bit more size than spend all the energy spawning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12