ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pH Too Low For Fishless Cycle?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Default Re: pH Too Low For Fishless Cycle?

Thanks for the advice. Been browsing for controllers after getting some feedback on another board. Rolling up a degree or two is certainly doable. Looking to keep a pleco or two, few rams, and discus in the tank once complete. I think. Still haven't ruled out swapping tetras for the rams yet...but all seem to be tolerant of temps up around 82 from what I've been reading.

Still feeding ammonia and no fish added yet. Taking my time to mature the cycle before I go putting everything into its place. And I need to decide where I'm going to get everything from. So the fun part is just beginning! Thanks again!

-Ryan

Registered Member

Default Re: pH Too Low For Fishless Cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    I've got posts on here that show that nitrification MUST be happening at pH of well below 4 ....
    Agree with this. 20yrs ago when I had my Degan and Schmidt-Focke's they would do well in a pH of 7.0 but when I let the pH drop to 4.0-4.5 they would just go nuts and lay eggs on everything. This was just reg tap city water that had some pretty good hardness. Never once did I ever have any nitrogen cycle problems. Now I know that with ammonia it changes to ammonium and is less toxic I have no idea if that same thing happens to nitrites or nitrates.

Been caring for fish since I was 8-10 and have kept at least an AQ for the last 35yrs.
    Keep coming back to Discus.

At the time I was using Marc Weiss Peat pellets....show how long ago that was he sold it to Aquatronics and maybe they sold it since to someone else since I no longer see it advertised. Now maybe SERA owns it.
    Last edited by pitdogg2; 09-18-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12