AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum kit in same room with discus?

Real Name
    Austin

Default Drum kit in same room with discus?

Hello,
    so I play drums and my kit is right next to my future discus tank. Ive started playing jazz so there is no bashing and the bass drum is hit VERY softly. So my question is would it affect the discus? Thx.

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Drum kit in same room with discus?

Everyone knows that Discus prefer metallica.....

seriously?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Eric

Well, it's an interesting question. My guess is that it's a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Everyone knows that Discus prefer metallica.....

seriously?
    Guns 'n Roses actually - years of research

I wouldn't have them in the same room particularly on wooden floors - you'd be surprised at how much vibration drums create.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Eric

If my discus ever show an interest in Mylie Cyrus I will pay people to take them off my hands. Hey, non-sequitor, but i think this smiley is appropriate for this thread:

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Guns 'n Roses actually - years of research

I wouldn't have them in the same room particularly on wooden floors - you'd be surprised at how much vibration drums create.
    the floor is carpet ill play some slash for them at times.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

I have 20 dogs which coming in and out is a lot of vibration on a wooden floor!! I would not do drums but I can tell you even my wilds don't spook I played with tank placement and that made biggest difference second only to quality and quantity of discus when I bought poor stock they spooked like hell, these high quality vendors on the forum send me fish that don't blink.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Real Name
    Ralph

Well if it helps any...I know of a Discus breeder Vern Archer who has a music studio (Drums, Guitars etc.) no sound barrier in his basement along with his massive fish room for years without any issues. Mind you, the rooms are separated. Basement approx. 1,000 Sq.Ft just to give you a prospective.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Let me start off by saying I played drums for 5 years. I am no expert in discus but have grown some 6 - 6.5 inchers from 2" in a bed room with a decent surround sound system and sub. That being said NO you should not keep a discus tank near any drum sets! The bass drum at any rate would bother them but I bet the rest of the drums would be fine if played soft (like with practice pads on your snare and floor toms) but what is the fun in that. The vibrations from the set being used could also upset them. Take my advice I break the rules often when I think it is possible, this even I would never try. Sorry but it's the truth discus just aren't too rock and roll, they are more classical.
    Last edited by mountain_bike; 09-10-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike View Post
    Let me start off by saying I played drums for 5 years. I am no expert in discus but have grown some 6 - 6.5 inchers from 2" in a bed room with a decent surround sound system and sub. That being said NO you should not keep a discus tank near any drum sets! The bass drum at any rate would bother them but I bet the rest of the drums would be fine if played soft (like with practice pads on your snare and floor toms) but what is the fun in that. The vibrations from the set being used could also upset them. Take my advice I break the rules often when I think it is possible, this even I would never try. Sorry but it's the truth discus just aren't too rock and roll, they are more classical.
    the bass is no prob just put a pad on that if i use brushers to play everything else would it be fine? Fun fact danios like bass

Registered Member

If the bass does not ripple or vibrate the water with the pad on it I would say go for it. Just keep in mind new discus should start eating within a day or two, if they come out to eat but start hiding when you play the set then you know you have problems. Make sure you have means to sell them back if they are not eating or seem unhappy in any way just be prepared because not many fish stores like to buy discus back.

And about danios, their personalities are way different than discus. Discus are very bashful and intelligent fish. They have a much more skittish personality than danios. Danios would probably enjoy the ripples created by your drum set where as discus would hide. I actually love the way my danios ride the current when I refill my FW tank, but discus are so different. They hide when I refill the water and hate any type of flow. And as good as I am making danios sound discus are still my favorite fish, they just seem more intelligent. They sass you when you start feeding cheaper food, they are very tricky to keep happy, danios literally just go with the flow. So basically if you think you can try it after all of what I am warning go for it, but be prepared to either move the set or sell back the fish because in my opinion it probably will NOT work. Good luck and let us know how it goes because as I said my fish deal with a powerful subwoofer 2-3 nights a week and are fine. I just know a bass drum makes my sub sound like a joke.

Real Name
    Austin

If the bass does not ripple or vibrate the water with the pad on it I would say go for it. Just keep in mind new discus should start eating within a day or two, if they come out to eat but start hiding when you play the set then you know you have problems. Make sure you have means to sell them back if they are not eating or seem unhappy in any way just be prepared because not many fish stores like to buy discus back.

And about danios, their personalities are way different than discus. Discus are very bashful and intelligent fish. They have a much more skittish personality than danios. Danios would probably enjoy the ripples created by your drum set where as discus would hide. I actually love the way my danios ride the current when I refill my FW tank, but discus are so different. They hide when I refill the water and hate any type of flow. And as good as I am making danios sound discus are still my favorite fish, they just seem more intelligent. They sass you when you start feeding cheaper food, they are very tricky to keep happy, danios literally just go with the flow. So basically if you think you can try it after all of what I am warning go for it, but be prepared to either move the set or sell back the fish because in my opinion it probably will NOT work. Good luck and let us know how it goes because as I said my fish deal with a powerful subwoofer 2-3 nights a week and are fine. I just know a bass drum makes my sub sound like a joke.
    i sure will tell u if it works

Registered Member

That is great as long as you have a plan for if it goes wrong. It's this site that people learn from, and how will we learn if we don't try! So I wish you good luck and honestly you won't be playing your set all day I assume so it will work with the pad.

Good luck and post your results bc if not people will fear the worst, but as I said before if you can tell your fish are still unhappy after about a week to 10 days give your fish a new home or remove the set! All my fish were happy within 12-48 hours at most ( fully colored and ate vigorously eating) to give you some reference .

Registered Member

Oh and don't forget... We are all not kidding about water changes, 3 a week is a minimum, some people would say that is bad. I bend rules often but don't try this with water changes. You will kill your discus, it is only in a properly maintained tank that your fish will have a chance near a drum set. Be careful and do it right and you will save money and lives.

Real Name
    Austin

That is great as long as you have a plan for if it goes wrong. It's this site that people learn from, and how will we learn if we don't try! So I wish you good luck and honestly you won't be playing your set all day I assume so it will work with the pad.

Good luck and post your results bc if not people will fear the worst, but as I said before if you can tell your fish are still unhappy after about a week to 10 days give your fish a new home or remove the set! All my fish were happy within 12-48 hours at most ( fully colored and ate vigorously eating) to give you some reference .
    Oh and don't forget... We are all not kidding about water changes, 3 a week is a minimum, some people would say that is bad. I bend rules often but don't try this with water changes. You will kill your discus, it is only in a properly maintained tank that your fish will have a chance near a drum set. Be careful and do it right and you will save money and lives.
    I will not be playing all day because school sport life ect.
    If there not happy i think i would move the set. Im doing a aquascape so the tank will not be able to move. (to much work)

over here in Australia everything cost very much so would max out filtration and 3 or 2 25% water changes of a tank min if 550 litres. Understocked to start off with hopefully. All discus will be brought as large adults.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast