AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with my Classic Leopard? or am i being paranoid?

Registered Member

Default Problem with my Classic Leopard? or am i being paranoid?

This is my first time with Discus, ive had them for 5 days, and im doing everything by the book as i have read on this website, i feel.

only thing i am not doing by the book, is Diet, and this is because i am waiting for a few ingredients in the mail to make a beef heart recipe. right now thay are eating freeze dried black worms, the breeder i got the fish from feeds them mostly this as the main staple in their diet. i got the fish from a sponsor on this site so quality fish isnt a question.

the "problem" fish is 4.5" and very healthy looking besides the fact he wont eat, and hes moving around slowly.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Ive had the fish 5 days now, bought a group of 6, they are all thriving and so was the "Classic Leopard" but ive noticed now the past 2 days the Leopard, wont eat, he will take in a tiny bit of food, but i just did a feeding and it didnt move while the other ones ate aggressively,

all the other 5 Discus have fat guts after feeding, while the Leopard belly looks deflated and empty. he is also moving around slowly compaired to the other 5, and also just sits still for a while

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Looks incredibly healthy, hes just not eating. his poop is Black and healthy looking like the rest,

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 gallon, Fishless cycled for 7 weeks, got 6 Discus FIVE days ago. all fish are 4"-4.5"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

75% every day since i got them

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running (cycling) 7 weeks, finished the cycle, and got the fish, now almost on week 8.

Pool filter sand for substrate 1/4" thick.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Not currently aging my water, NO PH swing after 24 hours of aging. i have tested before

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

API TEST KIT USED

- temp _____ 86 F

- ph _____7

- ammonia reading ____0PPM

- nitrite reading ____0PPM

- nitrate reading ____ 5PPM

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____YES

- municipal water ____ NO

- RO water ____ NO

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

NO

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

the picture doesnt do the fish justice hes a very beautiful fish, hes 4.5" doesnt look it in the picture but hes a big guy in person.

Registered Member

Default Re: Problem with my Classic Leopard? or am i being paranoid?

just did my water change for the day, and the last feeding for the day, and the Leopard didnt eat even a scrap.....

not sure what to do.. i think im doing everything by the book i dont want to lose a fish my first week into keeping Discus

If the fish is healthy then it will take an awful lot longer than a week for it to starve

First thing to do is contact the seller and ask their advice, they will know their fish better than anyone else. Next just keep doing what you are doing, it is not uncommon for discus to go on hunger strike after a move. Don't be afraid to rty different foods, live brine shrimp are a good option and often frozen bloodworms can get them feeding.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

ok, i will contact the breeder,

just an update, now he has a white strand hanging out of its but.... about an inch long..

any ideas? i honestly dont know how this could happen like i said ive done everything by the book haha...

White stringy happens when they don't eat.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

ok so this guy is STILL sick.... and seems to be getting worse.

i asked my Breeder what to do, they said raise temp to 90F for a few days, i did that and no change.

he has now told me to dose Metronidazole in the tank, so i have started that just now.

the fish no longer has a deflated belly, but a bulge in its belly, like he swallowed a Marble, the fish hadnt pooped in days, and then all of a sudden i see a long like 3" strand of white coming out of him,

also his eyes have now started popping out..... they bulge...

Will the Metronidazole work? should i dose the tank with epson salts too? i dont get it, all my other fish seem to behave normal, i dont get whats going on with this guy....

i hope someone here can please help.
    Last edited by CanuckGame; 09-14-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Do you have a QT tank?

A recent picture would help.

i asked my Breeder what to do, they said raise temp to 90F for a few days, i did that and no change.
    the fish no longer has a deflated belly, but a bulge in its belly, like he swallowed a Marble,
    Me thinks these two are related. I really wish people would stop making heat treatment the "go to" first treatment.

I would treat with Epsom salt, then start the fish on a mixture of kanamycin and metro. Be warned, this doesn't usually end well.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Do you have a QT tank?

Me thinks these two are related. I really wish people would stop making heat treatment the "go to" first treatment.

I would treat with Epsom salt, then start the fish on a mixture of kanamycin and metro. Be warned, this doesn't usually end well.

I dont have a qt tank, I just got these fish, and 4 days later this started. .. a qt tank was in the plans, I do have a 29 gallon tank but no filter for it.. its not set up.

I can get a picture tomorrow but its eyes are bulging and a full looking stomach and it hasnt eaten since the 4th day I got it..

I will get some epson salt tomorrow. When you say this doesnt end well, is there nothing more I can do?

I paid 120 bucks for this fish alone, I really dont understand how this can happen. I have done everything by the book, daily 75% wc, feeding well.. how could this happen?

Registered Member

So today, Day 2 of Metro dosing, and day 1 of epsom salt,

the Leopard looks wore, its staying in the top back corner of my tank, the "marble" now seems to be going up each side of the fish, im assuming this is a Bacterial infection?

ALSO to top it all off the Pearl Turquoise has stopped eating, and has turned dark and wont swim with the other 4.

this is ridiculous, im so lost, i have almost 800 dollars invested in these fish, and i only got to enjoy them for 4 days, the rest of the time ive been stressed out like crazy,

can someone please direct me on what to do

Real Name
    Rick

So today, Day 2 of Metro dosing, and day 1 of epsom salt,
    I would treat with Epsom salt, then start the fish on a mixture of kanamycin and metro.

Your missing an ingredient?

I have never dosed Epsoms for more than 12 hours, perhaps Paul can chime in here. In the meantime....get some kanamycin!

-Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 09-16-2014 at 12:40 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Using Epsom salts with metro is a good call. They seem to compliment each other and ime it is more effective.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Using Epsom salts with metro is a good call. They seem to compliment each other and ime it is more effective.

Pics will be posted in a hour or two, just got off work and have to go out for a few hours.

I called all 4 pet stores in this town and I cant get kanamycin anywhere... I will have to order online which means ill lose precious time waiting..

The fish is still not looking good. It looks super fat in the body, I think the infection is climbing up his body... I do have Furan-2 by API, for bacterial fish disease, will this work?

Also should I add epsom salt again today after I do my water change?

Real Name
    Rick

see if any of the pet stores have kanaplex
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I asked for that and they said they dont have it.

Real Name
    Rick

I do have Furan-2 by API, for bacterial fish disease, will this work?
    IME no. Furan-2 is a GREAT anti-biotic for external issues, but its effect on internal issues is minimal. Once again that is based on my opinion, others may have different views.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast