ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my Classic Leopard? or am i being paranoid?

Registered Member

Default Re: Problem with my Classic Leopard? or am i being paranoid?

here are pics, please help me save him

the fish you see beside the Leopard in pic 4, thats the one that has began to show signs of getting sick as of yesterday....

as you can see, i have major problems, the fish has popped eyes, and its insides are very full, the infection is making his body extremely fat, and it seems like its moving up his body.

Real Name
    Rick

here are pics, please help me save him
    Trying......

You need a QT tank and some kanamycin. other than that I got nothin.......
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I have an empty 29 gallon tank, but i dont have a cycled filter for it, i have a brand new filter in its box, but its not cycled....

i will look online right now and see if i can find anyone around my area that can get kanamycin to me within a day or 2. do you think i have 2 days? or will that be too late?

Real Name
    Francis

Where are you located?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Im in Kamloops.

Real Name
    Francis

You can get kanamycin at King Ed Pet Centre.....Seachem Kanaplex or order online
    Kanamycin.

7377 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V3N 3B8
    Phone
    604-525-4955
    Email
    kingedpet@gmail.com
    Business Hours
    Monday
    12:00 PM - 07:00 PM
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    11:00 AM - 06:00 PM
    Sunday
    11:00 AM - 05:00 PM
    Last edited by seanyuki; 09-16-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

thanks for your help, the first link says they no longer carry it, and the 2nd link, i dont have 200 bucks to spend, i just spent 800 on these fish 14 days ago haha..

maybe i will call King Eds tomorrow and see if they are willing to ship some to me express.

Edit: Just re checked the 2nd link and it looks like i could buy 50G worth for 30 bucks, but it also says "For this product we require a completed Drug & Chemical Affidavit on file."

is this stuff dangerous to handle or what?
    Last edited by CanuckGame; 09-16-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

some online stores require you fill out that form.......perhaps try here.

http://www.angelsplus.com/MedsAntibiotic.htm?
    qty=1.00&sub=69.75&shp=0.00&dis=0.00&vch=0.00&tax= 0.00&tot=69.75&unt=0.6&sd=

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckGame View Post
    thanks for your help, the first link says they no longer carry it, and the 2nd link, i dont have 200 bucks to spend, i just spent 800 on these fish 14 days ago haha..

maybe i will call King Eds tomorrow and see if they are willing to ship some to me express.

Edit: Just re checked the 2nd link and it looks like i could buy 50G worth for 30 bucks, but it also says "For this product we require a completed Drug & Chemical Affidavit on file."

is this stuff dangerous to handle or what?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

It not dangerous to handle unlike formalin or potassium permanganate .

The form .http://www.4fishstuff.com/files/medcert.pdf
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Rick

It's just a form stating your going to use it on ornamental fish and not food fish basically, no big deal.

You wont need a filter in a QT tank, kanamycin would most likely nuke the bio anyways. I would get at least 100 grams, and yeah, the stuff aint cheap, that's another reason you want a QT (smaller tank) you will go broke trying to treat in a 75 gallon tank.

I would get the fish into the qt tank sooner rather than later, be ready when the meds get there. Normally I don't recommend this, but you might want to drop the temp down to 80 degrees and try and buy some time, but before you do that let's see what Paul has to say.

Hard to say whether or not the fish will make it until the meds get there, and even then, if it would be to far gone to work effectively. I do know kanamycin is one of the very few anti-biotics that work on internal infections, as most anti-biotics are not absorbed well through the skin.

There is one other option, most are not willing to try this, but that would be to find some injectable anti-biotics and pick up a very small syringe and hypodermic needle and give the fish an injection. Most decent farm supply stores that cater to livestock will at least have some injectable oxytetracycline you can use.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/injections.htm
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 09-17-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Call the supplier and if he can get wholesale tell him to send it. To be honest..I think it's a tough fix.i had one years back the same. I did super dose of Epsom salts and a med they worked internally.it lost the battle. my wholesaler has it but I'd have to be late for work, go get it and express mail it or greyhound it. I will check my stash tomorrow but don't believe I have it. I have metro.

Real Name
    Rick

This is really starting to present itself more as dropsy than bloat. The swelling is starting to show in more areas than just the stomach cavity. Whatever you do, you need to act fast. I honestly think an injection maybe the best chance at success.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry to hear that, what causes dropsy? Any update?
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    Sorry to hear that, what causes dropsy? Any update?
    Dropsy is a general term used for a bacterial infection that causes fluid to gather in the abdomen. It is caused by gram negative bacteria to the best of my knowledge. It is ever present in all aquaria and only becomes an issue when the fish are stressed and their immune system fails.

Typical stressors are shipping, over crowding, poor water quality, poor environmental conditions, aggressive or incompatible tank mates (e.g. fish active at night), I'm sure there are others.

The OP has just received these fish and has then applied high heat. This is two stressors there. The best course of action with new fish is to quarantine them, qt is more than just about making sure the new fish don't carry any bugs, it is also to give the new fish a chance to recover from shipping. It is common for discus not to eat for several days, even weeks, after being shipped, more so the bigger they are. Patience is needed before using meds or heat or salt.

If Rick is right and it is dropsy then the OP now faces a problem and he needs to isolate the affected fish as soon as possible otherwise he risks losing all of them. I cannot see the images at work as the site is blocked so cannot form a view.

Any gram negative antibiotic will work if it is not too late. Some are better than others and we cannot always rely on using just one antibiotic, this is a sure fire way to develop resistance. As a general guide if you have used one antibiotic before use a different one next time. I would also consider adding some salt, one of the rare times it is of use imo/e, again any salt just as long as it is NaCl (with or without YPS, iodised or not). salt at 100 grams per 100 litres or 4 oz per 25 US gallons.

Again dropsy has a high fatality rate so don't expect miracles. Not much point continuing with metro & Epsom salts if it is dropsy.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast