ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to 75gl from 55gl

Default Upgraded to 75gl from 55gl

I used nearly all of the water from the 55 gallon and added about 20gl of new water. I also changed to pond and river rocks from Home Depot (which i rinsed thoroughly). I've checked the water parameters and they are all good; however, the water is not crystal clear. It seems a tad bit cloudy- I added a carbon bag behind the filter sponge. I used water clarifier but it doesn't clear up like I had it in my 55gl. What should I do? Do I need to do a water change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Tony

Default Re: Upgraded to 75gl from 55gl

Base on what you said, i don't think your tank is cycled yet and wouldn't use any Carbon or Clarifier. Just need WC and WC until cycle.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

I'll do a water change as soon as I get home. How much and how many times do you advise before it cycles?

Real Name
    Tony

it depends your bio load and feedings, more is better. it's goood to have water test kit when come to new tank.
    My Fish Space
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How would a water change help my bio cycle? If I keep adding new water?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Lack of crystal clear water in my experience stems from filtration issues and not cycling issues. Did you upgrade your filter when you made the move up or is it the same one? May want to change out polishing pads if you're using a canister. Add another HOB if you have a Marineland or something similar.

Cycling can be verified by dosing ammonia and then then water testing 24 hours later.

And I would NOT do a water change. If you were hoping to bring bacteria over from an existing aquarium via the water column, you're going to want every bit of that water to stay where it is. I would have added Prime in the amount equal to the added water (2ml or so I think for 20 Gal on top of the 55 transferred).

-Ryan
    Last edited by RPMick; 09-09-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Real Name
    Tony

if fish in the tank, you need to do WC to avoid ammonia spike until it cycle.
    My Fish Space
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I didn't change the filters. I brought over the water from the old tank. I have a marineland penguin power filter and a canister filter - I kept both the same. Didn't Change the filter pads on either of them. The only new thing I added to the water were the rocks and driftwood. Once I realized the water seemed cloudy I added:
    A carbon bag behind the filter and some water clarifier.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Are the marineland penguin power filter and a canister filter on the 55 or 75?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

On the new tank 75gl

Real Name
    Pat

Good, so WCs should clear the water and I would check for a mini-cycle. Suggest daily 50% or better for the next week.

@Pat - I did a WC and it's cleared up a lot and they are not as skidish by the way when prepping water - do you ever use discus buffer for ph? My friend once advised me to use at every water change... Your thoughts? I don't use RO water - I use tap and water conditioner

Real Name
    Eric

I don't want to speak for Pat, but I would steer clear of all buffers and just leave the pH alone. Pat? What do you think?

I've read it in other threads but bc I've always used it at every water change - I wanted to ask. When I first started caring for discus - which I had no clue of or of this forum for that matter- I was highly advised to use it and so I have for an entire year at every water change. As I've become more acquainted w the forum I have been changing some of the things I've done in the past bc I want to take better care of the fish. The discus buffer got in my radar after reading threads on water works ... I will steer clear from here on. Thanks

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Maura_Paz View Post
    @Pat - I did a WC and it's cleared up a lot and they are not as skidish by the way when prepping water - do you ever use discus buffer for ph? My friend once advised me to use at every water change... Your thoughts? I don't use RO water - I use tap and water conditioner

I have mostly wild discus and my young sub-adults Tefe's are growing out in my tap water with a ph of about 8.2 and no, I do not use any buffers and recommend others don't either. Domestic discus adapt very nicely to a wide range of ph and you will read here that a stable ph is way more important.

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    I don't want to speak for Pat, but I would steer clear of all buffers and just leave the pH alone. Pat? What do you think?
    Ditto Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast