ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: White pimples - harmless?

Registered Member

Default White pimples - harmless?

One discus has a case of white pimples on body and tail fin. A couple appeared last week now he has many more.
    In reading threads here it sounds like this is as harmless as real pimples and will go away.
    But just so I sleep better tonight, take a look at the pictures and confirm that it is not some dreaded disease!
    Some have mentioned water quality issues - I do 75% water changes once weekly.
    Sorry for the crappy pictures. He wont stay still and I can't focus apparently.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    See above, nothing new in tank or procedures

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Other than the spots is behaving normal

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    55 gal, three discus about three years old

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    75% once weekly

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? Tank is 3 years old, amazon soil 2"

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Age the water for one week, ph and temp are consistent with tank water

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____84

- ph _____ 6.5

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____.3

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____
    20140909_163758.jpg20140909_163755.jpg
    - municipal water ____100%

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. no

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: White pimples - harmless?

It is a water quality issue. If you up your water change regimen (which I recommend), they should go away.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Ditto,would go for atleast 50% per day until they go away,then 3 times weekly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Hello,
    How are the other two discus? Can you please post pics of them. I also think you need to step up maintenance on that tank, and water changes., but I would not rule out a salt dip either. The pimples on the body are seen often when the water quality is not optimal, but the ones on tail are not so common...so makes me wonder how the others are looking.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images