ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild Discus + Altums

Default Re: Wild Discus + Altums

Quote Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
    Hello there! Seen you in arofanatics. Hope you are enjoying the Andrew Soh books. I realize that after a while, my narrow leaf java ferns start having holes if I don't dose K.

Sharp eyes! I do have Eartheaters in there... same family as the cupid cichild but they are biotodoma wavrini.

and some juvenile santaoperca daemon to grow out.

Daily dosing sounds like a lot of work. Don't know that they need so much k and Co2. Yeah, those Andrew Soh books are very informative, which is a bad thing for me. The more you know, the more you want.

Real Name
    cesar

How big is the tank, volume wise?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    cute little fish biotodoma wavrini. what is their personality like?
    Very active but they go about minding the own business and do not disturb the discus much. Spends most of their time at the substrate sifting for food. They don't really school for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by STHH View Post
    Daily dosing sounds like a lot of work. Don't know that they need so much k and Co2. Yeah, those Andrew Soh books are very informative, which is a bad thing for me. The more you know, the more you want.
    I think they can do with less ferts.. it's just that I don't really have a schedule so sometimes i double dose or not at all! Plants are not really for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by c_sir View Post
    How big is the tank, volume wise?
    It's around 150 gallons. 7ft length, 1.5ft deep and 2 ft high. Would have liked it deeper but ran out of space!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
    Very active but they go about minding the own business and do not disturb the discus much. Spends most of their time at the substrate sifting for food. They don't really school for me.
    So much like bolivian rams??
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Thats an awesome tank with really gorgeous fish!!! I love it!

Jacklyn,....I keep 6 Biotodoma cupid and I keep temporarily a female wild discus in with them. The discus is about 6 inch and the cupido's about 5 inch. The discus is in charge of the cupido's. The behaviour of the cupido is in many ways similar to the Bolivians but the cupido seem to be slightly more shy (I keep wilds) and less territorial. They do quarrel but not as much as Bolivians and I rarely see a lip lock. In my opinion a perfect cichlid to keep along with discus. Keep in mind you should keep them as a group just like discus (5 or more). The care and the needs are the same as for wild discus.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post

Jacklyn,....I keep 6 Biotodoma cupid and I keep temporarily a female wild discus in with them. The discus is about 6 inch and the cupido's about 5 inch. The discus is in charge of the cupido's. The behaviour of the cupido is in many ways similar to the Bolivians but the cupido seem to be slightly more shy (I keep wilds) and less territorial. They do quarrel but not as much as Bolivians and I rarely see a lip lock. In my opinion a perfect cichlid to keep along with discus. Keep in mind you should keep them as a group just like discus (5 or more). The care and the needs are the same as for wild discus.
    dutch dood, thanks for the info. I am currently on a laetacara dorsigera kick but have been interested in the biotodoma for a while now and have been wanting to try them, I was unaware that they get to 5" though I thought they were more like the dwarf acaras
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

I love those Laetacara dorsigera as well. Those can be quite territorial during breeding and even bite your hand. On average Biotodoma grow to 5 inch,..females slightly smaller and dominant male slightly larger. They look a bit like large bolivians but are more gentle and even ignore my otocinclus and tetras.

Very nice! I'm partial to the tank with the slimline and may look into this myself.

Does anyone have information on these "Slimline" backgrounds? I'm not finding much on the internet. This particular background looks very interesting.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    So much like bolivian rams??
    Yup. I will say pretty much the same. Like Dutch dude mentioned, they are milder than rams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post

thanks. My wavrinis seem to max out slightly more than 3 inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Very nice! I'm partial to the tank with the slimline and may look into this myself.
    Thanks. The background is from designs by nature. You can check out their website at http://www.designsbynature.net. their range of slimlines seem to have reduced though. Mine was something called "mesa".

Registered Member

Wavrinis should stay smaller compared to cupido and males can grow to 4 1/2 inch max. From the pic I have the feeling they aren't completely matured yet. I also see dark blotches and those point at stress. The camera can be the reason for that but in normal conditions they should not show the dark patches. Adult dominant males and also dominant females can grow trailers on the tails.

Registered Member

Thanks. Mine definately do not have trailers. Will be interesting to see if they develop.

Registered Member

Great guy. Great fishes and great tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mihai

Amazing project !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12