Thread: Raising fry in a shoe box

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Raising fry in a shoe box

Where are you located?

Real Name
    Willie

I refuse to dignify a Nicholson post with a response.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

The old shoebox has been around since the 70s. Tropical Fish Hobbyist published book called Baby Discus by Art Hayley back in 1979 explaining the shoebox method also has pictures too.

Cliff

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by discusgiz View Post
    Thanks John a great post I know it's an old posting now , but do you just use normal BS eggs as I cannot get San francisco bay brine shrimp many thanks
    To answer your question, you can get San Francisco Bay brine shrimp eggs from Brine Shrimp Direct. https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/br...e-shrimp-eggs/. But I have raised discus artificially with regular sized baby brine shrimp.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The old shoebox has been around since the 70s. Tropical Fish Hobbyist published book called Baby Discus by Art Hayley back in 1979 explaining the shoebox method also has pictures too.

Cliff
    Yep. That's where I got my first successful breeding program going a LONG time ago. For the old timers around here, there was a guy back then that advertised (and sold for a large sum) the same process in the aquarium published media of the day. No Internet back then as Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.

Art disliked that and made his system public. Worked like a charm.

Art did publish an inexpensive book, but he made the info available for free too. As a matter of fact, the book is still available today. Great reading (I bought a copy decades ago) and still a valid technique.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-discus-e.../dp/B0006XW1VW

Tom
    Last edited by T_om; 03-17-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Yep. That's where I got my first successful breeding program going a LONG time ago. For the old timers around here, there was a guy back then that advertised (and sold for a large sum) the same process in the aquarium published media of the day. No Internet back then as Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.

Art disliked that and made his system public. Worked like a charm.

Art did publish an inexpensive book, but he made the info available for free too. As a matter of fact, the book is still available today. Great reading (I bought a copy decades ago) and still a valid technique.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-discus-e.../dp/B0006XW1VW

Tom
    I also bought Art's book decades ago and remember a few ads in TFH or FAMA on the readers exchange. Yes one seller was similar to Art's another one was Discus Heaven using the pan method. There was another breeder who ran Altenda Water Garden in Southern California, must
    of had over what looked like at least a thousand Discus, pan raised.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I also bought Art's book decades ago and remember a few ads in TFH or FAMA on the readers exchange. Yes one seller was similar to Art's another one was Discus Heaven using the pan method. There was another breeder who ran Altenda Water Garden in Southern California, must
    of had over what looked like at least a thousand Discus, pan raised.

Cliff
    Right! The guy that ran Altadena Water Garden was named Carroll Friswold. You post shook that out of my aging brain cells all of a sudden. And I THINK it was him that sold the exorbitantly priced artificial method I mentioned earlier. But again this was in the early 70's, a long time ago and as I said, my brain cells are aging even as we speak. So I might be doing Friswold an unintended injustice.

Tom
    Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and beheld a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

John Moses Browning's .45 ACP entered service in 1911. Coincidence? I think not.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Right! The guy that ran Altadena Water Garden was named Carroll Friswold. You post shook that out of my aging brain cells all of a sudden. And I THINK it was him that sold the exorbitantly priced artificial method I mentioned earlier. But again this was in the early 70's, a long time ago and as I said, my brain cells are aging even as we speak. So I might be doing Friswold an unintended injustice.

Tom
    I have Friswald copy back in mid 60's the cost was around $500 only had around 13 pages it was copyright. Friswald method was similar to Jack Wattley method. Back then I could buy a use Ford Mustang for the same price.

Cliff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12