AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Prefilter to remove Algae,silt,mud etc

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Question Prefilter to remove Algae,silt,mud etc

My RO system gets well water from an over head tank. Then the tank water comes down through a 1" PVC pipe to a 500 micron pre filter through which water passes before entering the RO system. Often the RO system output becomes less and on opening the pre filter the candle canister with 500 micron size, it shows and has a lot of brownish soft sand/mud coating it and have to be changed about once every 4 to 5 months.
    I saw an ad at a local paper that if one installs a filter before the water from the well comes into the overhead tank it can remove germs,algae,mud,silt,iron etc and has to be flushed just about once a week and this will help the RO water input being better quality and RO will work for longer periods without having to change the pre filter candle often. I am thinking of installing it.
    Will some advise please?

Default Re: Prefilter to remove Algae,silt,mud etc

Any chance of a link to the details of the filter? In principle it sounds a good idea
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Default Re: Prefilter to remove Algae,silt,mud etc

I have a 1 micron pre-filter on my water supply before it enters my RO system. It sure helps keep my RO filters running longer. I change it out once a week, but the 1 micron only cost me $1.25 each when I buy them in bulk.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius