AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 inch discus flashing around. Please help...!!!

Registered Member

Default 3 inch discus flashing around. Please help...!!!

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    @@@@@@
    3 inch discus 2nd biggest among 11 other in the grow out tank of 100 gallon.
    Flashing like a rocket 3 to 4 times in the last 2 days.
    Did not eat anything today while all the others ate beef heart like pigs.
    This guy was just huddling along with the others with 'slightly' faster breathing.
    (I closely observed only when I saw him flashing couple of hours ago. As all the time I thought it was water change stress.)

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    @@@@@@@
    Turning dark for the last 3 days without any other symptoms. Eating and everything was normal.
    The peppering is slightly more on the upper body with both upper and lower fins darkest.
    Fins NOT clamped at all. Nicely spread even now. Movement is not as confident (slightly skittish) as it use to be earlier in the front glass of the tank.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    @@@@@@
    Nothing yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    @@@@@@@
    100gal tank. 4 ft X 2 ft high X 1.75 ft deep.
    12 nos of 2.5 to 3 inch pigeons.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    @@@@@@
    90% everyday at night.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    @@@@@@@
    This bare bottom setup for growout is 20 days old. Had absolutely no problems.
    Tank has been running for past 4 years. Kept empty for 2 years after it was made. Then had turtle in it with
    Water level only of about 12 inches. And had the back glass broken so had to replace. Got it pasted and dried it for 3 days.
    Next day water filled and left overnight. Then fresh water was filled and fishes introduced.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    @@@@@@@
    Borewell water. No aging. Except adding hot water to bring the temp to stable 30C and then pump to the main tank from the holding tank.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____30C

- ph _____ 7.5

- ammonia reading ____ zero

- nitrite reading ____zero

- nitrate reading ____zero

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- Borewell water ____100%

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    http://youtu.be/RoRfVbAakT0
    Last edited by ujwaldignified; 09-16-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: 3 inch discus flashing around. Please help...!!!

For the record, that is not flashing, it is called "darting".

Does this behavior always happen at water changes?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Thanks for correction. No. It is happening anytime throughout the day.
    Since the temp of new water is same as old water, all other fishes looks happy and are grazing even during the new water pumping in.
    Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    For the record, that is not flashing, it is called "darting".

Does this behavior always happen at water changes?

Real Name
    Rick

What is a borewell?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ralph

What is a borewell?
    I may be wrong Rick but I think is on well water.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

None of the fish are doing well. They should be out swimming, coming to the glass for food, etc.

Which silicone product did you use to reseal the broken glass?
    Are you on your own personal well or community well? Do you know if the well water is treated or filtered at all before reaching your tap?
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Real Name
    Rick

Would like to see a video at feeding time perhaps and not during a water change, Hard to gauge the condition of the other fish, are they always huddled like that, or is this just do to the fact your doing water changes during the video?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Would like to see a video at feeding time perhaps and not during a water change, Hard to gauge the condition of the other fish, are they always huddled like that, or is this just do to the fact your doing water changes during the video?
    Yes all the other are very well responding to me visiting and taking feeding from hand also. Will also follow my hand. But since it's water change time they r a little in a huddling mood.
    Let please focus on the fish with the problem I am concerned with and not lose out the cru cal emergency period.

Registered Member

What is a borewell?
    Borewell is the well water. But there is a subtle difference between both. Well water is a huge hole dug upto the water table. But the borewell is a drill hole made upto the water table and a pipe inserted with a pump at the top.
    So characteristics of a well water would be like a aged water since its tanked in the well for some days and then pulled up.
    Whereas the borewell water is directly pulled from the table.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    None of the fish are doing well. They should be out swimming, coming to the glass for food, etc.

Which silicone product did you use to reseal the broken glass?
    Are you on your own personal well or community well? Do you know if the well water is treated or filtered at all before reaching your tap?
    I have no resealed the broken glass. It's replaced with brand new glass. And the silicone is the regular which are used to make countless aquariums in indian market.

Need some more info here please... How do you measure your pH... You mention that your pH is 7.5 and are doing 90% water change with well/bore water.... could you retest that pH in this manner:Please measure the pH in the tank before a water change, then measure the pH of the water coming out of the tap ( your bore water). and finally take a bucket of that water from the tap and add an air stone overnight and measure the pH, give us those three values.( they rarely are the same with well water) I have a feeling you are stressing the fish with the water changes and the parameters. Dissolved gases in the water are a huge issue for most people with wells. Your fish are acting exactly like mine do when I do a 90% water change with my well water due to the dissolved gases in it.

So characteristics of a well water would be like a aged water since its tanked in the well for some days and then pulled up.
    I could be wrong on my interpretation here, but unless you are actively off gasing that water, its not going to be aged and since you are drawing from the well everyday, the water is probably not aging...

The very first thing you need to do is verify all your water parameters...The method I outlined above will give you a straight forward and accurate understanding of your waters pH and more importantly if you have dissolved gases in the water like CO2. The behavior of all the fish in that tank is definetly off as Jim mentioned.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks a lot Brewmaster15 and all others who showed concern and supported me.

I finally could spot the problem. I brought a new driftwood the previous day and washed it thoroughly under freshwater and
    Dipped it into the holding tank for soaking it.
    THAT WAS THE MISTAKE.

I don't know what chemical it seeped into the water the whole previous night into the 6 inch height water which remained after the
    Last night water change.
    When I began water changing as usual topped up the holding tank with freshwater and hot water to get the temp up to 30c.

And today the same thing happened with a different fish. And I began brainstorming to conclude.

I decided and removed the driftwood, cleaned the holding tank and did another round of 90% wc immediately after I had finished doing the same for a complete 3 hours.

Now they are all fine running towards my hands begging for food. And now it's been 1.5 hrs and they r all behaving
    Like 2 days before.

Ufffffffffffff now that's a deep breath.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Need some more info here please... How do you measure your pH... You mention that your pH is 7.5 and are doing 90% water change with well/bore water.... could you retest that pH in this manner:Please measure the pH in the tank before a water change, then measure the pH of the water coming out of the tap ( your bore water). and finally take a bucket of that water from the tap and add an air stone overnight and measure the pH, give us those three values.( they rarely are the same with well water) I have a feeling you are stressing the fish with the water changes and the parameters. Dissolved gases in the water are a huge issue for most people with wells. Your fish are acting exactly like mine do when I do a 90% water change with my well water due to the dissolved gases in it

I could be wrong on my interpretation here, but unless you are actively off gasing that water, its not going to be aged and since you are drawing from the well everyday, the water is probably not aging...

The very first thing you need to do is verify all your water parameters...The method I outlined above will give you a straight forward and accurate understanding of your waters pH and more importantly if you have dissolved gases in the water like CO2. The behavior of all the fish in that tank is definetly off as Jim mentioned.

hth,
    al

I don't know what chemical it seeped into the water the whole previous night into the 6 inch height water which remained after the
    Last night water change.
    When I began water changing as usual topped up the holding tank with freshwater and hot water to get the temp up to 30c.

And today the same thing happened with a different fish. And I began brainstorming to conclude.

I decided and removed the driftwood, cleaned the holding tank and did another round of 90% wc immediately after I had finished doing the same for a complete 3 hours.
    Glad its sorted, if that was the cause, you may have dropped the pH of the holding tank drastically, and then stressed the fish with the water changes...its a guess. New Driftwood can dramatically affect pH in a small volume of water, and the hot water would have most likely accentuated that process.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

The problem still persists.

Looks like the heater leaking current.
    But I cannot sense it when I dip my hands into the water.
    The leakage cannot be so small. But not to rule it out.
    I have a doubt on one heater of the two. Let me eliminate that and check.
    Because the 2 hole night that heater was accidentally off due to lose connection in the plug. And now in the morning I switched it ON and I saw problems. And immediately after I switch that one off all fishes began moving around normal.
    Fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Glad its sorted, if that was the cause, you may have dropped the pH of the holding tank drastically, and then stressed the fish with the water changes...its a guess. New Driftwood can dramatically affect pH in a small volume of water, and the hot water would have most likely accentuated that process.

-al

Real Name
    Rick

Let please focus on the fish with the problem I am concerned with and not lose out the crucial emergency period.
    To this end, please perform the water tests that Brew suggested.

Do you have a QT tank?

But I cannot sense it when I dip my hands into the water.
    The leakage cannot be so small. But not to rule it out.
    I have my doubts this is the issue at all. Just like a power line will not effect a bird perched upon it, small amounts of stray current have little effect on fish (after all they are not grounded). Now if you stick you hand in the water (you ARE grounded), that's a completely different story.

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast