ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Troubles with fry attaching...

Registered Member

Default Troubles with fry attaching...

going into day 3 free swimming and they fry will go from being attached for an hour to then going around the heater or into the corners and crap for hours and hours on end before re-attaching. And i don't think all re-attach.

The tank is covered in white and I even pulled the cone and sponge filter to help avoid confusion. They were going for the filter when it was in there. I have also had the water level down to just above the parents dorsal fins in hopes to help them out a little.

Is the whole attaching issue just because they are new parents? Do you think i should just go ahead and fill the tank back up and pop the filter back in and if fry get lost just let nature take it's course and hope they improve with the next clutch? Let me know what you guys think. I don't like only having like 10gal of water in the tank with just a heater and a small airline! the fish are fine, but its making me nervous.

Default Re: Troubles with fry attaching...

When this happens to me I dim the light... I keep it low light until the fry are fully attached for 5 days (natural room light works great). They will go back to the parents after a few hours. Experienced parents will go to where the fry are. Give that a try.
    Last edited by Kal-El; 09-20-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Registered Member

sounds good. I just turned off the tank lights and opened the blinds a little for that room (tank is still covered in white, so inside the tank is still pretty low lit). I'll check on them again in a couple hours and let you know if it seems to be working or not.

I have been changing the water twice a day in their tank and right after I fill it back up all the fry run to mom and dad and attach for about 20-30min before wandering off again. Too bad I don't have kids or I would just make them do a water change every hour for the next 3 weeks haha...

I also think I'm going to run and get some white cheese cloth this morning and wrap my filter and put it back in... for some piece of mind.

This has happened to me, but it usually only lasts for 3-4 days, maybe 5. Then they all attach, except the ones who never figured it out. Is this your first attempt?

Registered Member

yes first attempt. They have been laying in my community tank for quite a while now and have just been getting the free swimmers decimated. Decided to give them a chance and stuck them in a 20H.

The dim light seemed to help a little, but about an hour ago I decided to do a water change and wrap the sponge filter in white cheesecloth and drop it back in. When I flipped the tank light on so I could see what I was doing all the fry ran to the parents and have been attached ever since. I decided to mess with them a little just to see the difference between lights on and off and when I turn the light off they begin to immediately wander off, flip the light on and they all dart right back. So, I'm currently leaving the light on lol. I figure I'll turn it off tonight and just turn a lamp on in the room and see what happens. I suppose I could leave the tank lights on 24/7.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

It isn't unusual what is happening and being new parents too they are still learning. I would leave the filter in their do as described above and they will work it out if meant to be. 5 days FS they must be feeding enough and I have found alot of parents loose intrest in their fry if you are alway interacting.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Real Name
    Rick

What strain are the parents?

Remove the light from overhead and place it near the front of the tank facing up. The goal is to get a little more light then what is ambient into the tank, yet not too much. having the light entering from the front will make the side of the parents away from the light appear dark. See if this helps and adjust the amount of light entering through the front until you have it just right.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Snow white and a Red Turq. Doing it for the experience and will grow a good group out to 3-4" and keep a few of the best then move 10 or so to my moms 130. Rest to friends etc. Interested to see what the outcome of the fry will be.

The turq didn't darken up much, but still tries hard to get them to attach to her. I was worried about the fry not finding the snow white, but he has no problem rounding them all up for a good 10 min before he gets overwhelmed and they try to hand off but only a handful will go to her and the rest run to a corner until he comes over and gets them all again. She will stuff herself down in the corner to try and get them but very few are interested in her. Good news is most have doubled in size, from the itty bitty things they are when they first go free swimming. I did notice a few dead when I did their water change last night, but all of them were still very small, so hoping these were just ones that 'didn't get it'.

I tried playing with the light some more. Uncovered the entire front and left the back and sides covered. With just the room light on the male can round up the majority of them. Some will go for a surface corner so maybe I will give the small lamp pointed up a try, should stop that.

The wonderful thing is with all my playing around and learning with them it has not discouraged them. Hand feeding a discus with a ton of fry attached is pretty cool
    Last edited by ptactics922; 09-21-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Registered Member

Just got done feeding them before I hopped on here... The wife wanted some pics of them and they were back up at the glass begging for food so I flipped on the light and she grabbed a few shots. They are used to the camera and will sit right on the glass even if she is only a few inches away with it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julie

A real basic question from a newbie, by attaching it is meant that the fry attach and stay stuck to the parents, right. I am at day five of free swimming but the fry are only hovering near the parents, they do seem to 'attach' for a split second then it's back to hovering. They do however appear bigger each day so perh
    aps they are eating enough, I have tried every suggestion from here but nothing works so that's why the attaching question. Any ideas?

Real Name
    Rick

hovering is good, they don't stay stuck like a tic.......
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julie

Aha that is very good to know, eases my mind somewhat, how long does this go on for and should I start breeding up some brine shrimp?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julie

Just did another no overhead light just room light and the fry started to wander off and as soon as I turned the tank light back on they headed for mum and dad mainly mum as she is the darker of the two. So I guess it's leave the tank light on from now on, in fact I have been too scared to turn it off for the last two days as the last time I got almost this far the fry disappeared overnight when the lights were turned off. Fingers are crossed.

It gets very dark in the Amazon. I don't think you need to worry about leaving the light on, the parents and the fry will work it out. They almost always do. Once the fry have figured out where to go for nourishment, they'll take care of themselves as long as the water quality is good. I usually start with the bb shrimp a day or two after "attachment."