ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loose or cubed?

Default Loose or cubed?

Hi all,
    I get this question alot. Should I order your loose or cubed Freeze Dried Black Worms? Its really up to you as the customer to decide what works best, but by far 90%+ of my customers come to choose the cubed varieties. These are what I recommend anyone ordering should try as their first order. The reason is you can submerge them and stick them to the glass so it becomes a mini feeding station and allows the discus a chance to find the worms. You can also spread the cubes out if you have several aggressive eaters. Cubes also work best in tanks with over flows. Lastly cubed can be made to have other foods incorporated like our spinach combo. These are all the practical aspects to starting with or using cubes. The slightly less practical reason is its really cool to feed your discus by hand, and cubes make that alot easier!!!

So when would loose be good? Tanks with alot of fry and juvies, tanks with a community situation, such as as tetras and dither fish, and tanks where you have alot of top feeders. A tip to get these to sink is to drop them into the filters return water stream.

Both loose and cubed can be soaked in your favorite vitamin supplement if you commonly do so.

As in all things , its always good to hear from the users, so I would like to ask my awesome customers to share their choice of loose or cubed and why. That would probably help alot of people that are considering one or the other.

Thanks,
    Al

Ps... I prefer cubed for the reasons I stated!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: Loose or cubed?

I have tried both and now I only use cubes

When feeding loose worms, as soon as I throw the food in water, fish ate them before they could soak in the water and I see bloated stomach and fish swimming uneasy. If I pre soak, the worms dont stay on top of the water line and a good amount of them get sucked in the filter.

When feeding cubes, I press them hard against the glass to get any air in the cube out. No more bloated stomach problem and like Al said, fish get comfortable eating off my hand and I love it. I dont lose any worm to my filter which is good for my fish and my pocket..
    Last edited by AngryBird; 09-26-2014 at 03:38 PM.
    Its me "Prabhu" I am just a little angry these days

I used cubed for the reasons stated by Al.

No question about it, Loose for me.

I've never had any kind of issue with bloating and all my fish eat it right off the top. The few times I have soaked it, I don't see much swelling of the worm so I don't see much of an issue there.

The only time I used cubed is with very young fish.

The biggest reason I use loose is because my fish attack the cube so hard that it simply doesn't stay stuck to the side of the aquarium. The only exception to this is with very young fish. If the cube isn't going to stay stuck then I might as well use the loose, lol. I don't worry much about getting them to sink. If I have a tank with fish that have never eaten off the top before then I just swish them with my hand the first few feedings so they sink a little. After one of two times doing this they have no problem at all locating them floating.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Loose.

My clown loaches pull out the cubes stuck on glass and take them under driftwood.
    I haven't noticed any bloating / uneasyness with my discus so far. ( Tank just has discus and clown loaches )

I use cubed because its easier to count the amount I feed. I use 7 cubes in one tank, 3 cubes in the other tank. If I were to use loose worms I would have a hard time counting enough worms LOL Just kidding.
    Really I use cubes and just found it easier to gestimate how much to feed. The fish like the FDBW so much I don't think they care.
    Great product!

Ardan

Real Name
    Rick

Whatever Al has left in stock.........
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

I use cubed because its easier to count the amount I feed. I use 7 cubes in one tank, 3 cubes in the other tank.
    ^^this^^
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    cesar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post

The biggest reason I use loose is because my fish attack the cube so hard that it simply doesn't stay stuck to the side of the aquarium.
    Just a suggestion, I actually brake the cube in half with my nail and stick the side that I 'broke off' on the glass. They seldom come off.

Still looking for more comments here guys so if you are a customer please share what you use and why. Thanks!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Cubed. I use feeding cones because it keeps the food from immediately heading into my overflow box. The presoaked cubes plop right in. I've tried sticking them to the glass but since they're attacked vigorously they don't stay stuck longer than a second or two

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Judi

Real Name
    Tony

Cubed for me with above reasons plus I lend it to a friend and know to charge interest when pay back . And it's easy to use it with auto feeder.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member

Cubed--for reasons stated!!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Almon Dao

I tend to use loose. I've tried both as Al was gracious to send cubes with spinach for me to try. My fish prefer the loose, they don't like the cubed much. I think it has to do with the size of the worms in each. With the cubed I noticed the average size of the worms to be smaller and thinner, while in loose form there are larger pieces and they can be swallowed without having to pick and bite off the block so to speak. It's like eating burger meat vs. cube steak. I think my fish prefer cube steak. They definitely attack and fetch the loose more and I can always presoak them as well. The smaller sizes in the cube also tend to be missed by the discus and end up as waste on the bottom (PFS substrate) vs getting eaten.

One additional benefit to loose vs cubed for me is that I can help support the underdog in the tank and give a pinch of food to them away from the more aggressive fish, who usually hoard the cube/s without letting others at it. Even if I place the cubes at various locations at once, there is bound to be the one gal discus that is too shy to get it, and the big Alpha male that defends the cubes by swimming back and forth from each cube preventing others from getting at it and being so busy at defending it he doesn't get much eating done either LOL.

My being able to select and choose which fish to feed when, also tones down aggression in the tank, and makes the underdog less fearful. The underdog gets special treatment and the Alpha dog knows it. This also makes the underdog a bit more confident and comes up for food more often and makes the Alpha dog a little less aggressive towards the runt. So although I can tell she's still the runt of the litter, she's not too far behind in growth compared to the others and is no longer hiding in the corner like she used to. Now when the lights go dim she's always at the front of the tank in clear view.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...ds/discus4.jpg

Underdog - Runt on the left and Alpha male on the right.

Cubed. just makes life a little easier imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast