AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building my fish room!

Registered Member

Default Building my fish room!

Hello all, thanks for looking in.
    I'm building a new house for my family, I've been allowed to claim what would normally be an office as a fish room! Huzzah!

If I can get pictures to upload to this site you'll get to see a whole bunch of the process, start to finish.
    As with anything in life, I'm open to suggestions or corrections. ...
    Nope, can't do photos. 120 kb limit!? Wow.

Here's a link to my local forum where I can do much more;

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php...opic=42626&hl=

Default Re: Building my fish room!

Use a site like Photobucket.com to show your photos.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Ricardo

Sounds nice but I could not view the photos on that website. I believe you have to be a member? If you'd like to post them here, we'd be more than willing to give you suggestions or straight up congratulations

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I dislike that photobucket thing. Such a sluggish site, anyway.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/Cullymoto/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

There's a picture there of a drawing, it's the basic plumbing schematic and it needs a bit of an explanation.
    The two tanks have the same elevation, the blue "to sump" line will have a raised section equal to a 3 - 4" water line in the show tank. The drain valve will be at this elevated section so that in case of failure the water in the show tank will not drop below the raised plumbing.

Since the tanks are level to each other the water level will always try to equalize. There will be a return pump in the sump pushing water from the sump to the show tank. In effect this will lower the water level in the sump and raise it in the show tank. Gravity will cause the water level to always flow from high to low, this is what will give me flow. Should power fail, pump fail etc, the two tanks equalize and that's it.
    Makes sense in my head lol.

Real Name
    Eric

I also don't like photobucket. Try opening your pics in something simple, like MS Paint, and crop and save as jpg's. You should be able to post something that way.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    I also don't like photobucket. Try opening your pics in something simple, like MS Paint, and crop and save as jpg's. You should be able to post something that way.
    Here you go Cullymoto...I did it for you

http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/Cu...bed/slideshow/

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 09-28-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Thank you Altum

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Here you go Cullymoto...I did it for you

http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/Cu...bed/slideshow/

...Ralph
    Very nice. I plan on doing something like that one day. Is this in a basement?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

This is on the main floor of the house, adjacent to the living room.
    I had the builder install a second engineered beam in the floor, I told them I will be parking a one ton truck worth of weight there.
    They had to install extra footings before doing the foundation etc.
    this has been planned longer than the house that it's going into.

Registered Member

I've done a little digging and haven't been able to find a viable solution... Anyone know of a reliable, adjustable / programmable auto dossing system for dry powder chemical? One that isn't the size of a car and cost over 10 grand would be nice.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Cullymoto View Post
    I've done a little digging and haven't been able to find a viable solution... Anyone know of a reliable, adjustable / programmable auto dossing system for dry powder chemical? One that isn't the size of a car and cost over 10 grand would be nice.
    Looking good and fortunate to have the space and $$$ to pull this project off.
    Care to elaborate in simple terms my friend.
    Are you building a fish room or assembly line pharmaceutical room....LOL

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Let me elaborate.
    I use safe for dechlor, and a monosodium acid salt to boost kh.
    I am building a system that will when programmed or triggered perform a fully automatic 90 to 95% water change. I need a system that can reliably dose a predetermined amount of those two dry chemicals when the refill portion of the auto-change is underway.
    About the best I've come up with is a 7 day auto feeder, with a measured amount of product in the right chamber for Sunday (assuming I set Sunday to be the water change day)
    Problem is, auto feeders generally suck, have the worst timers in them, and don't always empty the full content. Not to mention it could go off at the wrong time.
    I've found pharmaceutical grade dry chem systems that cost as much as my house, obviously that is not feesable.
    Last edited by Cullymoto; 09-30-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: terrible auto correct failures

Registered Member

Before people chime in saying I shouldn't, I boost kh because I feel like it.
    I use r/o because it works for me. I need to boost kh to maintain stable pH.
    I've seen too many posts on here where threads get de-railed with "you don't need to this"
    I'm not trying to be an ***, and your all right. I don't need to r/o, but I do anyway.
    I'm simply asking if anyone knows a system that will dose dry chem.

Real Name
    Ralph

I'm clear now and fully respect your plans.
    Other then equipment used in the pharmaceutical industry by means of dosing powder...I'm at a lost.
    If nobody steps up to the plate here on SD...you may want to check out....
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...quaria-Network
    I've seen and heard of a hand-full of hobbyist going out right total automation in which you might find some info.

...Ralph
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Ricardo

Matt actually posted a pic of a cool dosing machine. I will send him a pm and see if he can chime in here

Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast