AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hey there!

Registered Member

Default Hey there!

Hello there, from Greece

I'm an old hobbyist who's been away for 3 years, due to complete lack of spare time, where the tank run with minimal care.
    I'm back, hoping to raise some nice fish. The tank is full again with 10 6month discus, plus an old pigeonblood who survived the 3 year absence.

Sadly, the choice of fish was not good, as I urged to have my tank full again. The fish are not raised properly, some are still about 1.5 inches long.
    I won't give up on them though. Frequent water changes to allow my filters to gain their biology back, 5 meals per day, dry food only for now.

I've seen some spectacular fish here, which makes me shy to show any pictures of mine yet.
    I hope I'll have something worth sharing soon.

Cheers

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Hey there!

Hi philosopher and welcome to Simply. Nice to see you getting back into discus. Life does get in the way sometimes and takes us away from the things we love. I hope you have some success with your current batch of discus. Due to their size and ago I am not sure you will get much from them but we can hope.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hi, thanks.

I really don't know how the mind works sometimes.
    I see the fish now and can't understand how on earth I chose to buy them.
    They were breed from a hobbyist, not a shop, who had some gorgeous 8 inch grown ups too. I was so fascinated by them, I didn't actually pay attention to the size of the young ones.
    I did notice the shape, possible injuries, how active they were, lungs/fins etc but I did not make the connection size/age until it was too late.

Anyway, all fish are nice imho, so as long as they are healthy no real problem here.

Cheers

Hey Philosopher, I did the same thing, and I tried my best to recover the young stunted discus but they did get sick and I stared over with healthy 4" stock and have not looked back since! Good to see some e from Greece I'm from UK but now in America

Anyway welcome back to the hobby and enjoy !!
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member

Well, the 1.5in length was kinda modest, the smallest of the fish are probably 2'' SL (not measuring tail) while the biggest is probably 3-3.5''.
    They have actually noticeably grown in the two weeks I keep them, or so I think.
    Raised the meals in 5 per day, 40% water changes every 2-3 days.

Clean RO water, 29o Celcius and lots of meals is the only way I know to raise the young ones.
    I try to avoid frozen food, especially now where the filters are trying to keep up with the sudden waste increase.

The tank is 105gals, 1.5'' white sand bottom and lots of driftwood that make many hiding places.
    I have kept many happy discus fish in this tank.

I keep on looking for bad signs.
    As expected, some fish are quick swimmers, big eaters, some are not, it's the way things are.
    We'll see how it goes, hoping for the best.

i certainly hope so too! would love your first time back in 3 years to be a happy experience, especially if you can get something good out of them with good care. you have them now, so at least they are lucky to have your care
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com