ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Clening water storage containers

Default Clening water storage containers

How often should you clean your water storage container, and what could happen if you don't, reason is ask is i am getting funfus on eggs and some leftover food was wondering if it is growing in my 300 gal. storage tank . thanks.

AL Castro

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: Clening water storage containers

Fungus generally can't grow where there is no growth medium (food, fish, etc. It definitely doesn't hurt to clean especially if your water storage holds well water or tap

Default Re: Clening water storage containers

In my 200g storage tank, the water comes from the city, with chlorine and chloramines. These chemicals keep it clean. When I add water to the aquariums, I add dechlorinator then, but never to the storage tank. I haven't cleaned the storage tank, well, in years. I can't imagine how fungus would get in.

But in my breeding tanks, open to the air and light, I have got fungus in the past. 1 TBS methylene blue per 10 gallons once, right after laying eggs, will absolutely control fungus. Then with the daily 2x water changes in the breeding tank, the dosage naturally reduces, and I end up with tons of wigglers and zero fungus. Just my experience.