ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 3 Weeks in on my Discus Hans Stendker grow out

Default 3 Weeks in on my Discus Hans Stendker grow out

This is more of a journal entry so I can look back and see from whence I came. It has been three weeks and all seems to be going well.
    Being overly critical, I notice a couple seem to have more of the football shape and I have one little runt. If you watch the video, as it starts, the fish swim to the right. The last little guy is the runt. These started as 2.5" fish 3 weeks ago so I might be a little early in my critique.
    I started out feeding heavily, 5 to 6 times a day. After checking in here at Simply, seeking advice regarding my concern for water quality, I learned some of the best home breeders here only feed twice a day. I cut back on the feedings in favor of water quality. Now I feed BH and FDBW in the AM, once autofeed with Cobalt flake at 2PM and BH and FDBW in the PM. This has worked out so much better and the water quality shows it. I have posted video and a couple pics of my current favorites. This will change I am sure as time passes and the fish color up.

Enjoy and feel free to comment, positive or negative as I am always open to constructive criticism.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Tankster; 10-04-2014 at 02:26 AM.
    ​Greg

Default Re: 3 Weeks in on my Discus Hans Stendker grow out

I think they look fine.they still small.they will round up abit as they grow.i will watch this thread love to see them in 6 months.good luck with them sir

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Greg, they look great and raising my own has taught me that young discus are like horses in some respects. They have their awkward moments while growing. The smallest one is simply the smallest one, not really a runt.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Quintin. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I am in uncharted territory here as this is my first experience with Discus and my first grow out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    I think they look fine.they still small.they will round up abit as they grow.i will watch this thread love to see them in 6 months.good luck with them sir
    Thanks Pat. My "runt" is one of my favorites. When we went to the rescue to pick up our dog her litter mate was in the room also. She was so scrawny and seemed half the size of her sister. I immediately fell in love with that dog and we ended up taking both home. She is my favorite, and the most intelligent and feisty of the two. I have a tendency to root for the underdog! I am willing to bet this fish will end up boss of the tank.

I appreciate your analogy of horses, and the ugly duckling phase. I am giving them everything they need - 100% daily water changes and consistent quality food. I keep the tank spotless and vacuum about 30 minutes to an hour after every BH/FDBW feeding. The rest is up to mother nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Greg, they look great and raising my own has taught me that young discus are like horses in some respects. They have their awkward moments while growing. The smallest one is simply the smallest one, not really a runt.
    Last edited by Tankster; 10-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    ​Greg

They're just fine, Greg, they really look quite good. You may notice a slight football shape at this stage of their young developing life, but as time passes and they gain another inch or more in size, I'm sure you'll see a rounder shape develop, at least in the majority of them. Good work, you're doing great.