AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Proper Storage of Fish food....

Exclamation Proper Storage of Fish food....

Hi all,
    I've been asked this several times about storage so I thought I would post about this. Our Freeze Dried Black Worms have a shelf life of about 6 months from when you get it when stored appropriately. Thats going to vary depending on how its stored and handled after you receive it. I receive multiple small shipments in all the time and pack these up for your use fresh (which is why sometimes I am out of stock!).I don't have a huge warehouse here,I'm just a small business. Our food does not need to be refrigerated or frozen, however it can be and should be for long term storage and preservation of quality and nutrition.

The 3 major enemies of any dry foods are moisture,oxygen, and heat. These things affect the storage life immensely and you need to store the food to protect them from these things. You should never reach into a bag of fish food with damp or wet hands, and never leave it open. Water in the air goes to areas that are dry. Humid summer air, humid fishrooms,wet fingers, all that moisture can creep into the food making it less palatable and less nutritious,degrading it over time. Think about this..... You buy a bag of potato chips(a dry food), You open the bag and you have these nice crisp potato chips. Forget to close the bag and the next day what you have is less crunch, they start to go stale. Why? because its a dry food and it sucks the moisture out of the air.

You should store all your dry fish foods in a manner that prevents moisture and oxygen from getting in or excess temps from degrading the food. Some fish foods have chemical preservatives that help combat this, Our Freeze Dried Black worms have no preservatives added to do this..

This is not just for my Freeze Dried Black Worms, but any dry fish foods need to be stored properly. Best way to do this is use an airtight container...quality zip lock freezer bags like I use are good....but any air tite storage works. I like the resealable bags because you can force excess air out. If you purchase bulk foods, store the majority of the item in the refrigerator or freezer. Take out what you need on a weekly basis that can be kept at room temp,again store in an air tight container. I advise you not to keep it all in the refrigerator as everytime you open that bag at room temp, some moisture gets sucked up from the air and you have a greater chance of forgetting to put it back.

This kind of storage procedure will allow you to get the most out of your food supplies, particularly our Freeze Dried Black Worms when find yourself buying fish food in bulk.

Best always,
    al

ps.... one other storage tip...always store the food out of reach of your cats and Dogs ... if you don't I guarantee the shelf life will be dramatically reduced! cats and dogs in particular find these irresistible !
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-22-2024 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Proper Storage of Fish food....

HI all,
    I wanted to draw attention to this thread as I have been getting alot of inquiries. With the current supply issues surrounding Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms, alot of our customers are looking to buy an extra bag just in case we hit another supply snag.Its a wise decision as its hard to predict when they will occur. Our Blackworms are a farmed product and as any farmed product they are subject to growing condition issues. Having a spare bag of Australian Blackworms in the Freezer is excellent insurance against such times. There are few things worse that the look of disappointment on your discus faces when they expect Freeze Dried Blackworms and get something else. Keep your Discus happy by planning ahead.

Seriously though, I really do not like telling people I am out of stock when they have run out of FDBW also.I really feel bad when it happens. I try to be transparent and let everyone know whats going on with Stock as I learn of it. I'm doing so now. My advice is plan ahead for delays. I will do my best to keep us stocked, but more often than not these are factors I have no real control over.

Best always,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Thanks for the reminder, Al.

I needed to put some FDBW into freezer bags and freeze them. It is done now. Better late than never.

Registered Member

I store my fdbw in a plastic container that fish food cane in[Ocean nutrition] in the freezer @=10F and take out just enough for a week.
    They too are kept in glass jar.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I store my fdbw in a plastic container that fish food cane in[Ocean nutrition] in the freezer @=10F and take out just enough for a week.
    They too are kept in glass jar.
    Jay

Jay thats spot on!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com