ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus suddenly head down - simple fix

Registered Member

Default Discus suddenly head down - simple fix

hello

I had one discus SUDDENLY go head down. Struggling a bit to get down in the tank as had become positively buoyant.

A lot of posts on the forums were panic inducing - advice was to treat quickly with high risk of the condition becoming permanent - epsom salts / put into a tank with 6 inches of water / raise temperature etc etc. Others simply put it down to overfeeding dried foods.

I had fed the discus some freeze dried tubifex earlier and the discus in question was pretty greedy. Decided to just let things take there course....next morning discus 100% fine. That was 2 weeks ago and fish still perfect.

I think sometimes just chill out and wait.....

Default Re: Discus suddenly head down - simple fix

Yes, you're right. Glad it seems to have worked out a-ok.

next time use epsom salts FOR SURE, because secondary complications can kill the fish thats bloated, which is almost certainly what your describing. i overfeed so ive has this happen soooo many times LOL and my sponsors/mentors always advise treating right away with epsom salts which has ZERO side effects, its a really good treatment,

however nothing else needs to be done, raising temp adding anything else etc is as your absolutely right to say panic treatments !!

if the tank is bare you can add it in directly leave it for 24 hours, or you can put the fishin a stronger solution in a bucket or hospital tank (with heater and air) for an hour , its very hard to overdose with epsom salts, very very hard so it has a huge margin of safety. in fact it was the ONLY medical treatment i did for about 8 months of discus keeping, just clean water and epsom salts, i now soak my worms before feeding, but if i ever see a fish bobbing after a freeze dried meal or eating too much epsom salts (peas are the other one but not the easiest thing to get them to eat for me personally) is a GREAT laxitive

very safe, very easy to do so no need to do anything else next time just salts. because if they stay blocked for too long, it can damage the intestines or rupture and can get infected.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Real Name
    Rick

I usually wait 3-4 hours to see if the issue sorts itself out, 98% of the time it does.........
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ahh ok Rick my mentor said not to wait when you know you overfed, especially freeze dried. Since Epsom salts is a laxative with such a wide safety margin.

Good to know
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

My Discus also get this bloated wiggling behavior from overeating too much dry food, especially freeze dried blood or black worms. Some are more prone to it than others and some strains are more prone to it than others. It seems to be more of a problem with Blue Diamonds.

Usually I just wait it out. If it persists for the better part of a day then it may be time to get the fish into a hospital tank with Epsom Salts. I've lost good fish this way. When it gets serious they float on their sides at the surface like a balloon. I may also treat with an antibiotic as they may have an infection at this point.

CALLING DOCTOR WELLFISH, CALLING DOCTOR WELLFISH!!!

I have a red turq that would do this quite often. I usually waited it out and monitored and everything resolved itself. This got to be my habit and the last time I waited a bit too long and she did get an infection. I was able to cure the infection with antibiotics but the swim bladder had been damaged and she now headstands slightly unless she's feeding. I suspect that damage is permanent since it hasn't abated in 60 days. Concur with Discus_Stu - if it goes on for 24 hours get them to the hospital tank with Epsom. I waited too long. She is fine otherwise but I suspect that the extra effort she has to put into locomotion will eventually weaken her.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    My Discus also get this bloated wiggling behavior from overeating too much dry food, especially freeze dried blood or black worms. Some are more prone to it than others and some strains are more prone to it than others. It seems to be more of a problem with Blue Diamonds.

Usually I just wait it out. If it persists for the better part of a day then it may be time to get the fish into a hospital tank with Epsom Salts. I've lost good fish this way. When it gets serious they float on their sides at the surface like a balloon. I may also treat with an antibiotic as they may have an infection at this point.

CALLING DOCTOR WELLFISH, CALLING DOCTOR WELLFISH!!!

I've also had this experience. Good idea Adam to treat with Epsom salts and antibiotics before permanent damage can be done to the swim bladder which seems to happen when this has gone on for a while. I wonder if it affects any other internal organs?

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I usually wait 3-4 hours to see if the issue sorts itself out, 98% of the time it does.........
    same here. everyday some of my greedy eaters are doing this. but im not overfeeding. they r just fast eaters.
    Discus dave.

Has happened to me and the discus in my avatar. Treated in QT with epsom salts and all was well. Rufus