ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hello From Huntsville Alabama

Registered Member

Default Hello From Huntsville Alabama

Hey there, I live in Huntsville, AL. and am looking to get back in to housing discuss. I have been out playing with saltwater for the last 15 years and have always wanted discuss back in my life.... LOL

The last time I had discuss I had a 20X30 building that I used for breeding with some angels. I am planning on using my 300 gallon reef tank as a planted tank. I will create a build thread as I begin the process.

Default Re: Hello From Huntsville Alabama

ooh 300g planted , cant wait to see it !
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like you're planning an interesting project that we would all like to see the progress of as it goes along.
    Looking forward to your build thread.

Registered Member

thanks yall but i do need some help, I am overwhelmed and at a loss on how and what equipment I am going to use....... Anyone out there what help out with ideas? Also lighting I have tons of lights from metal halide to Orpehk LEDs and dont know if you can have to much light.

Quote Originally Posted by 07rx8gt View Post
    thanks yall but i do need some help, I am overwhelmed and at a loss on how and what equipment I am going to use....... Anyone out there what help out with ideas? Also lighting I have tons of lights from metal halide to Orpehk LEDs and dont know if you can have to much light.
    Difficult to advise on your lighting requirements without knowing the wattages/intensities, etc. of what you now have. Low to medium light is just fine for discus. As for other equipment such as filtration & heating, there are several very efficient filter and heater brands & sizes on the market which will quite adequately handle the needs in a 300 gal discus tank. Strong water flow is not at all necessary, but a steady temp of 82-84 is.

But more importantly, since you plan on having the tank planted, you should consider a proper substrate that's easy to keep clean - pool filter sand is a good one. Along with that, you'll want to give the discus ample swimming space, and not over-stock your tank - which means you should avoid a heavily planted situation, and get adult or near adult discus, to give yourself the best chances of succeeding with keeping discus. It's also important to consider the need for regular, fairly large water changes, minimum once weekly, but preferably more often, as well as maintaining a thorough tank cleansing routine.
    I believe it would help you a good deal to read through the Stickies in the Discus Basics for Beginners section, after which you should be in better position to firm up your plans.
    There are many experienced members here who are more than willing to help out with any questions you may have.
    Best of luck to you.