AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SICK DISCUS PLEASE HELP!!!

Real Name
    Lisa

Default Re: SICK DISCUS PLEASE HELP!!!

nc0gnet0 I hope to god that you never have a child in ICU - you are totally rude - and do not 'my dear' me - I HAVE taken on board that I need more water changes - my fish is improving daily - no thanks to you - are you annoyed that he is improving and is not dead, as you stated he would be!!!!!
    The question I asked was how long could I leave them without feeding???
    Instead from you I get told to give them away......
    Maybe the knife you have said I need to cut not siphon with I should hand over to you, or maybe you don't require it - it seems to me your tongue is clearly forked already!!!! It's about time you moved past how often I DID change the water to how often it is happening now.... Oh and your patronising 'go girl' wasn't needed either! Oh and by the way the two big ones I've had for two years not the others!!!!!

Larry thanks again for your input - I feel I will follow your advice and not feed them this time round, I will google how long I can leave them for!

I am happy I did not cull my fish and I am seeing him improve on a daily basis - it is good!
    Last edited by LisaM; 10-20-2014 at 02:33 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Lisa, every time someone gives you advise you do not wish to hear you call them rude. Please knock this off. The advise to rehome (even temporary) the fish is actually a very practical solution for your given situation. You said that you will be away for long periods of time which is not good for recovering fish.

As time allows please take some time to educate yourself on the keeping of these fish. From what you have posted and shown in pictures this is an area you and the fish would benefit from. Now after reading this and before you call me rude. Sit back and reread this thread. Please turn off the emotional response and think about what has been posted in this thread.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Lisa,
    I know each of these guys that responded to you personally not just on the Forum but in person at different events all over the states. They are nice people with the only intention of teaching you what they have learned caring and raising discus. I can understand that it might seem harsh what you are hearing but what they are saying has merit and shouldn't be just brushed off.

Im no expert by any stretch of the imagination by I will constructively try to give you my thoughts.

Have you already medicated? (if so, what and how)
    Your answer: I did a 1/2 tank water change and added some salt

You should have the discus in a bare bottom tank doing no less than 80% per day water changes. Im not a big fan of salt in discus tanks what you have here in my opinion is internal issues.

How long have you had this fish?
    your answer: 2yrs

Keeping them going for two years is not an example of good discus keeping its just an example as to how tuff discus really are.

I hope this helps......Josie

What is your water change schedule (how often, how do you do it?)
    your answer: once a week - syphon from the bottom of tank 1/4 water change - refill using prime and discus trace

Discus Trace has a fancy bottle but not much else as far as Minerals and supplements that your discus need. (this all happens during feeding. Feed a stable diet with a variety of foods)

What is your maintenance routine like?
    your answer: Ph etc checked every 2nd day, plants cleaned out as needed when water change done

Decaying and rotting plants in a tank can cause all sorts of problems to the health of your discus.

What is your water source? (municipal or well)
    Your answer: town water, treated

You should be aging your water if your getting it from a public tap "Prime can only do so much"

Type and depth of substrate?
    your answer: soil - about 5"at both ends down to 2" in centre

Breeding ground for bad bacteria that can cause problems with discus. Your best bet is to move them into a bare bottom tank.

How long has your tank been set up?
    your answer: 2+yrs

two years at a 1/4 water change weekly doesn't give your discus a good habitat to live in.

tank-mates
    your answer: Angel, catfish, neons

Angelfish and Neons are not the best choice for tank mates. Neons need colder water and Angelfish can be aggressive when breeding or around feeding time.

Did you QT the new additions first?(if so, what did you do, and for how long)
    your answer: No my daughter put them in to surprise me for xmas

Quarantine of new fish and plants is key to the success of your tank. But I don't think thats the issue here.

I hope this helps........Josie
    Last edited by Chicago Discus; 10-20-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Rick

I sympathize for you personal issues in which you need to leave for extended periods of time. perhaps to that end you should give your fish to someone else to look after or have, and take a break from the hobby until you can give them the attention they deserve.
    nc0gnet0 I hope to god that you never have a child in ICU - you are totally rude
    ???
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Lisa

Thanks for you help - no one I know of has a fish tank, I live in a small county town in South Australia - Renmark - the fish supply didn't even know what a planted tank was when I started, with the exception of the rocks, water and fish which I drove 2.5hours one way to get was purchased online - their advice to me was a bottle of vita pet milti cure to which I purchased and promptly put in the cupboard - I do agree with parts of what have been said - I am doing massive water changes once a day, feeding 3 times a day - they get bloodworm, community food blocks, discus food blocks, brine shrimp, white worms, flake food not all at once but all mixed about. I have one angle fish because I'm aware of that issue stated.... It has been 5 days since I got back and each day sees an improvement but most of what I read - not all - goes back to the beginning.
    I'm sorry to you I'm not a discus fanatic but I love my tank, I have 1 tank and that's it - BB to me is quite boring and just makes it easy for the keeper to clean - 1 tank more time to clean as opposed to 3,5 etc.
    My facts are - I am not changing my tank appearance to BB I want the plants and substrate - I am not giving my fish away or killing it, I paid and probably was ripped off big $'s for my two oldest - I will be doing water changes every day from now on to keep my tank as is (except when away)
    As you state I need to listen and re read etc but I feel this goes both ways - my fish continues to improve and I'm almost at the point to say I no longer fear I will loose him.... Given everything that has gone on her - both ways - I don't see any reason to continue with this post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12