AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hi from GA!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marcie

Default Hi from GA!

Hi! I've spent some time lurking recently so I decided to go ahead and join. I've been keeping fish for 12 years now and currently have a fishroom with about 50 tanks ranging from 10-75 gallons. I have kept discus in the past, but I wouldn't say I kept them particularly well unfortunately. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to pick up 6 stendker/santarem juvies at about 1.5" from a local fish club friend, who also happens to be a member here. I'm putting in a good amount of effort and care this time, as they are eating 3-4 times a day and I do a 95% water change every evening. I really want them to grow out nice and big and round. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you all, but for now I'm off to do more research so I can hopefully avoid asking something you guys have answered a hundred times already this month.

Real Name
    Karen

Default Re: Hi from GA!

Welcome Marcie
    glad to see someone else from Georgia! what area are you in?
    Karen (Cartersville)

Quote Originally Posted by deathtoduckweed View Post
    Hi! I've spent some time lurking recently so I decided to go ahead and join. I've been keeping fish for 12 years now and currently have a fishroom with about 50 tanks ranging from 10-75 gallons. I have kept discus in the past, but I wouldn't say I kept them particularly well unfortunately. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to pick up 6 stendker/santarem juvies at about 1.5" from a local fish club friend, who also happens to be a member here. I'm putting in a good amount of effort and care this time, as they are eating 3-4 times a day and I do a 95% water change every evening. I really want them to grow out nice and big and round. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you all, but for now I'm off to do more research so I can hopefully avoid asking something you guys have answered a hundred times already this month.

Hey Marcie. Welcome to Simply.

Gotta give Marcie some props. She is a fellow Board member of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association. Marcie and her husband Len have a lot of experience keeping and breeding Cichlids and other fish and they are assets to our local club and the hobby. I've been pushing them to add some discus to the fish room for some time now. Some of you met Marcie at the NADA 2012 Show here in Atlanta. She worked with my wife at the registration table while Len goofed off at work. Two years later and finally some discus!!!
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marcie

Quote Originally Posted by keeryn View Post
    Welcome Marcie
    glad to see someone else from Georgia! what area are you in?
    Karen (Cartersville)
    Hi Karen! I'm in Cumming. I've been to Cartersville a few times- I am also involved in dog rescue and (with the help of Poor Paws Rescue) I have pulled 3 foster dogs from your local animal control in the past few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Hey Marcie. Welcome to Simply.

Gotta give Marcie some props. She is a fellow Board member of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association. Marcie and her husband Len have a lot of experience keeping and breeding Cichlids and other fish and they are assets to our local club and the hobby. I've been pushing them to add some discus to the fish room for some time now. Some of you met Marcie at the NADA 2012 Show here in Atlanta. She worked with my wife at the registration table while Len goofed off at work. Two years later and finally some discus!!!
    Hi Larry! We had a great time volunteering at the NADA convention and met so many knowledgeable people. And of course, it was great seeing all those outstanding fish! Yes, it did take over 2 years to get some of your discus into this fishroom, but I wanted to be sure I was ready to make the commitment that they deserve. Every time I change that water I dream of the day that they will be big, fat, and round in a 90 gallon in the living room.

Welcome to the forum, Marcie.
    We're all glad you adopted Larry's suggestion to get into keeping discus - you certainly seem to have more than sufficient fish-keeping experience to do very well at it.
    We'd also love to see pics of your fish room when you're up to it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marcie

Thanks discuspaul! I absolutely love my little discus.

My fishroom is a disaster area right now (lol) but I will certainly post pics when I get it looking photo worthy!

Hey Marcie! Welcome to SD I did meet you at the registration desk but it was all such a blur, haha. Anyway cant wait to see your progress with your little ones, should be a blast.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    Hey Marcie! Welcome to SD I did meet you at the registration desk but it was all such a blur, haha. Anyway cant wait to see your progress with your little ones, should be a blast.
    Marnie, were you at NADA 2012?
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Marcie.
    We're all glad you adopted Larry's suggestion to get into keeping discus - you certainly seem to have more than sufficient fish-keeping experience to do very well at it.
    We'd also love to see pics of your fish room when you're up to it.
    No pics until Larry consults on design v3.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with a promising future. If you want them big, try Bill's Super Beef heart with Pro Growth. I use it intermittently, and would almost swear I see more growth in a short time when feeding it. And keep up the water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
    No pics until Larry consults on design v3.
    LOL, everyone welcome Len, Marcie's husband.

Marcie and Len are in the middle of re-designing the fish room. Len says his construction skills are lacking and wants me to consult. Blind leading the blind, lol. They might end up with dirty water coming in and clean water going out.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Welcome Marcie and Len to Simply and glad Larry got you two into discus. Marcie, I may have meet you at the registration desk in 2012. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your fishroom and progress with your discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Marcie....I love your user name.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marcie

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Pauline, I finally managed to eradicate it from our fishroom in V2.0. I'm VERY careful about what plants come in here. LOL