AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm BACK......

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Default Re: I'm BACK......

Hi Pat,

Kenny definitely recommends QT. Hope I did not give the impression that he doesn't. Again because of the circumstances, I felt the risk from mine was small and I am certainly NOT fearful of Kenny's stock.

Per the link:

5) When introducing new stock, take one of your least favorite existing stock(this might sound mean but there's no other way to accomplish this without adding at least one "old" fish to your new additions), and add it to the QT tank...observe for the next 2 weeks...if there is no issues that develops in the QT, then you may try to mix the groups of fish.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That is called the hero fish.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hey Penny, WELCOME BACK !!! so sorry your first thread back here, all excited about your beautiful new fish was not the best experience, Kenny is one of our several awesome sponsors and his guidance is amazing and helpful

at the end of the day id just love to see how you ENJOY and relax with these new fish, you got great, big, healthy discus from a trusted sponsor - put them in with your community tank

( I did loose personally some fish from Kenny before i understood why i should QT, myself personally so even the healthiest discus i now QT first just because the shipping can make them weaker and more susceptible to problems which are easier to avoid if they recover in a tank by themselves for a few weeks but i do that because i lost some of Kenny's juvies by mixing them with my other fish when i started out, having someone forcefully tell you what you have to do is NO fun im a bit disappointed with some of the posts here to be honest)

and now should be able to enjoy them ! not feel criticized, though i do agree its important to learn why QT is a good idea for fish fresh out of a shipping box, i dont think it should be forced down anyone's throat !

There are some amazingly supportive people here, some wonderful members and i really hope the person who posted about planted tanks, sees all the HUGE support for planted tanks here too !! I have several planted tanks, im a low tech person though lol, still learning Paul the other moderator has just gotten back into fish keeping after many many years in discus keeping, with a planted tank and Al certainly loves planted tanks too he owns the forums ! many members have beautiful stunning planted tanks with healthy discus in them, so yes there is support, i just have never recommended it to a beginner in discus or planted tanks if young discus are going to be bought lol because thats what i had in mind when i started and it was a really bad idea !!

I think you will have a really GREAT experience with these fish ! if anything does go wrong, well ive lost discus too from learning on them (sorry fish) and i got a lot better, and can actually enjoy them now
    Last edited by musicmarn1; 10-25-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Trey

Yea I know there.are some good people on the forum it just sometimes people think that if its not there way then just dig a hole for the fish to die in. what I was thinking of doing is a full carpet of hairgrass with some mid ground plants and some taller plants in he very back of the tank. I have an amazing 50year old peace of cedar stump that would be the center focal point of the tank. This set up would include which I already have, 2 marineland duable bright leds, hydor 450 canister filter wich I believe is rated for like 75gal to and mine is only 50 also I have full ada aqua sol and some active bacteria from ada which is a powder you lay on the bottom. I couldn't imagine a breeding pair of discus being sad to sick in suck a tank that has to be maintained. The only think that I could see beingbad is that I will be dosing ei fert and when using thoe you can only do one water change a week t 50% but I would think that with my setup in mind that the amount of bacteria and natural orginisms in the tank would be able to handle the bio load for sure, but idk people on here would say 50% on time a week!!!!. Your crazy. So I guess ill just have to think about it because if I do end up getting a pair, it would be a skender from hans

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by treylcham View Post
    Yea I know there.are some good people on the forum it just sometimes people think that if its not there way then just dig a hole for the fish to die in. what I was thinking of doing is a full carpet of hairgrass with some mid ground plants and some taller plants in he very back of the tank. I have an amazing 50year old peace of cedar stump that would be the center focal point of the tank. This set up would include which I already have, 2 marineland duable bright leds, hydor 450 canister filter wich I believe is rated for like 75gal to and mine is only 50 also I have full ada aqua sol and some active bacteria from ada which is a powder you lay on the bottom. I couldn't imagine a breeding pair of discus being sad to sick in suck a tank that has to be maintained. The only think that I could see beingbad is that I will be dosing ei fert and when using thoe you can only do one water change a week t 50% but I would think that with my setup in mind that the amount of bacteria and natural orginisms in the tank would be able to handle the bio load for sure, but idk people on here would say 50% on time a week!!!!. Your crazy. So I guess ill just have to think about it because if I do end up getting a pair, it would be a skender from hans

Cedar is poisonous to fish, also the hair grass will trap food and feces making the tank hard to clean. I hate to say this but I really think that you need to do more research.
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Fish View Post
    Cedar is poisonous to fish, also the hair grass will trap food and feces making the tank hard to clean. I hate to say this but I really think that you need to do more research.
    I did some googling on this, and it seems that the sap is what is poisonous to the fish depending on the type of cedar, if there is no sap and/or it has been waterlogged for a very long time, then great. I personally wouldnt risk it but it MIGHT work? though you certainly should test it with a cheap fish. People on plantedtank.net have been using old weathered waterlogged cedar in their tanks but that is the key point right there.

If it wasnt found underwater and DEAD, again, i would not risk it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    I did some googling on this, and it seems that the sap is what is poisonous to the fish depending on the type of cedar, if there is no sap and/or it has been waterlogged for a very long time, then great. I personally wouldnt risk it but it MIGHT work? though you certainly should test it with a cheap fish. People on plantedtank.net have been using old weathered waterlogged cedar in their tanks but that is the key point right there.

If it wasnt found underwater and DEAD, again, i would not risk it at all.
    Yea I agree, I read up on it back whenever I wanted to try to use it; cedar is beautiful and we are surrounded by it so I really wanted to try to use it if possible. I just figured that the risk was too great; there is a lot of information about the sap leaching out, after a long period of time with no problems, because it took a while to come out from the core of the wood.
    Using Tapatalk

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96277

comments from Tom Barr, a planted tank and driftwood expert, are particularly helpful !
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Trey

Cedar driftwood is ok for planted tank or just any tank as long as it has been sitting for years. Like all wood it drys out over a period of time and that includes the sap. Easy way to test if it still has it is to cut a peace off a small spot that wont show and smell the fresh cut, if it smells really strong then DO NoT use it but if it takes you shoving your nose into the cut to even smell a hint of it then it is perfect and will last longer than most woods since it is a very hard wood. My peace is a 50year old driftwood stump and thats at least 50 years! How do I know this you might ask welp I got an answer for that question also my mom found it when she was at odder springs in fl when she was a young girl and she took it and it has sat to dry and bake in the sun ever since that day

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Trey

O and for ur comment on hairgrass and discus, hairgrass once rooted is very hard to pull out and this makes it very easy to use a tube to suck out the poop and left over food in it. I have kept 4large angel fish in the past with a large carpet of it im not saying it will get it all but it should get most of it. I have read up on how to minimize food droping to the bottom and I have found that using floating food works great and also using long tweezers to fedd the beef heart help out with it extremely. The small bit that would be left over should get eaten up by the beneficial micro organisms. I cant say im.100% right but it sesm very logical

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123