AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System Concept: Self-Cleaning Filtration Systems

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: System Concept: Self-Cleaning Filtration Systems

I looked for a long time but couldnt find one sadly, if you can find one though, let us know!

If this were used on a discus filtration system, it would need to use a timer based self cleaning pattern, not the flow rate reliant one that the linked system uses.

We keep our discus tanks far too clean for the flow rate to ever get bogged down so it makes little sense to rely on one.

Timers are much cheaper than computer controlled gizmos anyways. I wouldnt be surprised if the sensor modules and computers in that filter account for a third of the cost....

This could work, but is not self cleaning however
    http://www.steadfastequipment.com/rotops.htm

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

that... is actually extremely similar to the design I was proposing before.

it is indeed self-cleaning through the use of a scraper.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephane

Guys the most effective way I have found has been the 'overhead sump' from Joeys book combined with an airlift tube (no pump) and with aquaponics (plants in the sump) And a pump in the tank. That runs on a timer 15 minutes every 2 hours. Pump pushes **** and uneaten food towards lift tube to sump and I rarely syphon anything from tank. I take out the little bit of filter floss that handles the mechanical filtration once or twice daily and the amount of gunk on it is definitely proving it's effectiveness: that means all that **** is not staying in my system. I do use a big Eheim external but intake is midwater and I haven't cleaned it in 8 weeks (I check the spray bar flow and it does not show any signs of reduced flow). All this is on a 450liter tank with 17 adult discus 40 cardinals 4 ancistrus starlight 10 corydoras 6 apistos some guppies and a couple of tiny plecos. I must say that I change 50% of the water every other day religiously. The fish look happy and healthy. They come to feed in my hand and I can pet them and even literally lift one of them out of the tank in the palm of my hand. Reason I mention the later is because many of you know that unhappy and unhealthy fish would not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    that... is actually extremely similar to the design I was proposing before.

it is indeed self-cleaning through the use of a scraper.
    However the filter need to be replaced or cleaned because its polyethylene and will eventually get clogged, if you give this a try tell us how it worked out

Quote Originally Posted by Miamiheat View Post
    Guys the most effective way I have found has been the 'overhead sump' from Joeys book combined with an airlift tube (no pump) and with aquaponics (plants in the sump) And a pump in the tank. That runs on a timer 15 minutes every 2 hours. Pump pushes **** and uneaten food towards lift tube to sump and I rarely syphon anything from tank. I take out the little bit of filter floss that handles the mechanical filtration once or twice daily and the amount of gunk on it is definitely proving it's effectiveness: that means all that **** is not staying in my system. I do use a big Eheim external but intake is midwater and I haven't cleaned it in 8 weeks (I check the spray bar flow and it does not show any signs of reduced flow). All this is on a 450liter tank with 17 adult discus 40 cardinals 4 ancistrus starlight 10 corydoras 6 apistos some guppies and a couple of tiny plecos. I must say that I change 50% of the water every other day religiously. The fish look happy and healthy. They come to feed in my hand and I can pet them and even literally lift one of them out of the tank in the palm of my hand. Reason I mention the later is because many of you know that unhappy and unhealthy fish would not do that.
    There goes his book to the rescue again !!! have you got any pictures please? would love to see how you actually did it
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

I am using an over head filter for my 70 Gal aquarium and the filter sponges trap a lot of waste and needs to be cleaned/replaced regularly and it sucks and traps un-eaten food which may rot in there if left uncleaned so I don't like it

good to know Argentum !!

someone was telling me about overhead filters at NADA and i decided against it based on someone else telling me it was a bad idea and they gave good reason LOL i would love to hear more but anything that does not have the mechanical filtration side, very very easy for me to rinse out ie. poly fiber cushion i pull out and rinse vs using a sock which fills up faster, is something i avoid like the plague because im trying to make my process easy
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    good to know Argentum !!

someone was telling me about overhead filters at NADA and i decided against it based on someone else telling me it was a bad idea and they gave good reason LOL i would love to hear more but anything that does not have the mechanical filtration side, very very easy for me to rinse out ie. poly fiber cushion i pull out and rinse vs using a sock which fills up faster, is something i avoid like the plague because im trying to make my process easy
    Yes, another thing is some of the dirt/ food make it through the filter wool or sweep from the sides and accumulate under the media. This is another reason why I didn't like it because the only way to clean it is to remove the filter and rinse it with a stream of declorinated water.

What I do is fill a bucket with water and add safe, then use a hose connected to a submersible pump to wash out all the junk accumulated in the media.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephane

Floss before change

Floss before change
    Joey's design is much better than mine .... from the picture I can say this will be more effective. The one I have is integrated into the cover and has a spray bar distributing the flow over the length of the aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephane

I get that amount of gunk twice a day so imagine what is NOT accumulating in other types of filters.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Not quite self cleaning, but superb filtration nonetheless.

Every single large scale aquarium I have made thus far, both active and gone, typically revolved around something like this, a mechanical filter and either a refugium of aquatic plants or emersed plants, pretty nice! but, as many many reproductions went, it is simply NOT a substitute for good, old fashioned water changes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephane

Definitely not it's a complement just like the Purigen: I change 50% every other day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Gets you to thinking. Good posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12