AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: System Concept: Uninterruptible Power Supply

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default System Concept: Uninterruptible Power Supply

Hey guys, this was just another one of my ideas that I had, this one in particular came to mind a very long time ago when i first saw a UPS work, but looking for ones that are reliable and could run a whole tank water system for a respectable amount of time generally are few.

The nice thing about aquariums is that they generally do not require pure sine wave power and can run on anything that has sufficient power so a cheaper design of UPS that is purely a back up works nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SMA...4726720&sr=1-1

This Tripp Lite UPS is one of the more basic high capacity models. It has a power storage of 1500VA which according to Tripp Lite's chart, can run a 40w load for 3 hours and 28 minutes. So If/when the power goes out, it can run a canister filter for about 3 and a half hours! Usually long enough to ride out most non-dire situations in the U.S.

For a mere $150, I would say this is another solid piece of hardware that should be considered for our valuable aquariums and their livestock.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: System Concept: Uninterruptible Power Supply

That IS rather cheap. I was intrigued by the "Let's talk Generators" thread by Al as well for backup when the power goes out.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

can those generators kick on automatically or do they need to be started manually? I always considered a gas generator to be a sizable investment that requires a fair bit of know how and money to install as well.

A UPS is not quite as long lasting as a generator but you just buy it and plug it in in the end. Quite a few of the generators I see in the thread look to be portable units that require manual start up.

the UPS will power on in the event of a black out.
    Last edited by kris2341; 10-31-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Almon Dao

How about a combination of both. Usually where I live, if I get a power outage it easily runs for longer than 1 hour. Not only do I need to power a canister filter, but I also need to run heaters (I'm running 2 150W on an 80Gallon setup). I can shut off lights and air pump (K1 media) but not the heater for prolonged periods.

In short events the UPS will kick in and help out with the basic necessities probably only for 30 minutes (heater and pump - I use a sump) before I get the generator going. For my basic needs house backup, I use a Honda 3000is generator, more for quietness, and it runs my heater refrigerator, and some electric plugs, one of which is the fish tank. One tank of gas runs 8 hours or up to 21 hours on eco-throttle. Since I only have one tank to run, along with other household basics, I'm OK. Other folks would need to calculate their needed loads. Depending on your room temperatures, you may need to factor in how fast the temperature goes down in your tank per hour.

Most portable generators do no have auto switch-over to generator power. You need to have a switch preventing backflow of power to the main line. Its quite expensive for an autoswitch. In my house I had a sub-panel installed for switch over to generator power so I know exactly where I am directing the generator power to.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    Hey guys, this was just another one of my ideas that I had, this one in particular came to mind a very long time ago when i first saw a UPS work, but looking for ones that are reliable and could run a whole tank water system for a respectable amount of time generally are few.

The nice thing about aquariums is that they generally do not require pure sine wave power and can run on anything that has sufficient power so a cheaper design of UPS that is purely a back up works nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SMA...4726720&sr=1-1

This Tripp Lite UPS is one of the more basic high capacity models. It has a power storage of 1500VA which according to Tripp Lite's chart, can run a 40w load for 3 hours and 28 minutes. So If/when the power goes out, it can run a canister filter for about 3 and a half hours! Usually long enough to ride out most non-dire situations in the U.S.

For a mere $150, I would say this is another solid piece of hardware that should be considered for our valuable aquariums and their livestock.
    Most of these UPS power supplys are software controlled, thus they will need to be connected to a computer to work properly. 3 1/2 hours at 40w really won't accomplish much, not with a 150-300 watt heater to power. Most fish tanks should be able to handle a power outage in the 2-3 hour range. If loss of power really is that big a concern for you, use sponge filters and then you only need to drive an air pump. Your realy much better off with a generator, or a 12 volt DC to 115 volt ac power converter.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

the problem with most of those options is that they have to be switched to manually, Unless you can find a simple way to autostart the generator, theres a fair problem right there. I am no expert on generators but I have only seen extremely large residential models have that capability.

As far as the UPS needing to be attached to a computer, this is true for some models, this specific one I am not certain that it NEEDS to be connected to a PC as I have yet to try it. However it should work fine in my specific case as my rack is right next to me as I type this but I will probably buy one in the new year once I get a few solid discus from Kenny and Hans.

As it stands right now, considering most generators in this price range require a manual start, a UPS is more complementary to a generator rather than a replacement for one. If I happen to be out all day and power goes out to my tanks filters or air pump, depending on my stocking level I would probably be screwed right away before I even realize it.

I have one of these waiting for when the need arises. They can be set up to function automatically, but I was not satisfied with the power. In an ice storm or extended outage, it will provide air circulation for 4-5 days per set of D batteries. A space heater near the tank should provide enough heat to keep the fish alive.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CJgBEKYrMAM

The setup Rick is suggesting would allow a car or lawn tractor battery to run heater and air pump for some time. I remember an earlier discussion on this. Rick, can you post a link to the regulator and how it would work? That season is coming in some places and already there in others.

I've also seen good reviews on these inexpensive power sources that can run air pumps on individual tanks using D batteries.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/batte...FW4V7Aodk00Abw
    Last edited by OC Discus; 11-24-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

As it stands right now, considering most generators in this price range require a manual start, a UPS is more complementary to a generator rather than a replacement for one
    Exactly, if your lucky, you might have enough time to go out and either buy or rent a generator while the UPS is working for an hour or so
    Problem is, have you ever tried to find a generator in a power outage? Good luck!

If I happen to be out all day and power goes out to my tanks filters or air pump, depending on my stocking level I would probably be screwed right away before I even realize it.
    If it goes out all day, your screwed anyways. @ a 40w load and 3 hours, these might be a complimentary piece to a generator, but not a good substitute for one. IMO the generator should come first. I could see it to run perhaps a central air pump and air pump only on a nice setup. And your going to need to swap out batteries on the UPS ever so often to maintain full operating strength.

But for those reading this thread, it is not a good substitute for a generator, not IMHO, not by a long shot.
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 11-24-2014 at 08:17 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

The setup Rick is suggesting would allow a car or lawn tractor battery to run heater and air pump for some time. I remember an earlier discussion on this. Rick, can you post a link to the regulator and how it would work? That season is coming in some places and already there in others.
    If you wanted to run on stand alone batteries you would be better served by deep cycle marine batteries hooked to a trickle charger for this purpose. Most people would just hook them up to their car battery while their car is running though. Any good DC to AC converter should do the trick, just make sure it has the output power needed to run what you want it to run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Totally missed this thread, have been so busy lately. This is a bit of a hobby of mine, I just finished posting a DIY thread on a inverter back up system for power..

Definetly not trying to Hi-jack this thread..but if any one is interested...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...r-The-inverter

These can be wired to go on with a power outage as well, and because they are not constrained by the case size for the battery and wiring, They can be designed to fit your needs and to last a lot longer than a stock ups system. I have read some DIY projects where they rip apart old UPS units and upscale them with additional batteries etc.

Hope you find what works best for you Kris.

-al

best always,
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rick

These can be wired to go on with a power outage as well,
    It's actually quite easy to do so. one DPDT relay with a 120v coil
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]