ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: System Concept: Solar and Lunar Cycle Emulation (mimicking sunrise and sunset!)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default System Concept: Solar and Lunar Cycle Emulation (mimicking sunrise and sunset!)

Hey guys, I have been noticing that lately as our aquarium lighting has advanced in the hobby, we suddenly have been able to do quite a few cool things with it, particularly thanks to high powered LEDs suddenly allowing for super efficient, yet extremely effective lighting.

One of the growing trends of advanced LED lighting systems and even some T5 systems, is the ability to mimic solar and lunar cycles. Definitely a great idea to not only increase the appeal to the tank, but calmly awaken and sleep the fish. This is actually a very valuable feature for LED lighting systems because.... they turn on instantly. Because they turn on so quickly, the fish can get startled very badly.

Personally, in the development of the 95 gallon hex tank, i decided to go with a specially built LED array. Initially, I decided to go with powering them on full power and using just a simple timer to save money... BAD MOVE.

The lighting system was so bright, that whenever it turned on, I would be the one getting startled every morning! I actually flopped out of bed the first morning because my room went from completely dark to full daylighting in an instant. The tank is brighter than my room lighting at 150w worth of Cree XT-Es with 60 degree optics.

Immediately realizing that if it could startle me so badly, it would probably scare the life outta any tank inhabitants that had the misfortune of living in my system. Not good! It was devised to be a paradise! Not a torture chamber!

I went and looked up a proper lighting controller to use for my system, the Coralux StormX LED controller came up to be the best. Since my lighting system used Meanwell LED PWM drivers, they were completely compatible.

http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=storm-x-led-controller

Not going into much detail, the system allows for precision dimming of the LEDs, sunrise, sunset, lunar cycles, cloud cover, lightning effects, etc.

I liked it so much, I got a 2nd one for my refugium and all was well. I dont even use half the power of my LEDs actually, even with CO2, it appears I totally overshot my needs with it.

Now enough of my story, the key point here is that this kind of amazing lighting is available everywhere nowadays!

All sorts of LED systems have sunrise sunset controllers of varying complexities and do not cost a huge amount!

Aquatic Life's EDGE series is a good example of a powerful, cost effective lighting system.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=28127

Current USA has a ramp timer add on for their lines of LED fixtures and are relatively cheap.
    http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa.../dp/B00C7OTID2
    http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Si.../dp/B00FDV1AFA

There is the ATI T5 dimmable lighting system
    http://aquariumsupplies.marinedepot....odaf=undefined

and then there is always the DIY route!
    Last edited by kris2341; 11-04-2014 at 03:31 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: System Concept: Solar and Lunar Cycle Emulation (mimicking sunrise and sunset!)

It's not really a concept it already been around and is really not necessary. It's just something the company's convince you that you need then they make extra money.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: System Concept: Solar and Lunar Cycle Emulation (mimicking sunrise and sunset!)

Sure it is a concept! Though yes it definitely is not something brand new. The main reason for putting it up is to spread awareness because of how widespread it is now compared to when LEDs and dimmable ballasts first came to the hobby.

You may consider such a system unnecessary though and yes, depending on the situation, it may not be needed, especially if you can train your animals to handle the light.

However, unlike any previous lighting system used on aquariums, LEDs and their ability to instantly power on to full power make such controllers worth looking into In my case, once you plow past the specifications for nearly all types of lighting on the market and build a 150w array in a tiny canopy for example, it becomes something you cannot really train your fish to accept, it is just too much.

After using such a controller and finding more basic ones that are cheap, IMO, I would not go without it. If my planted hex were to house discus, I would not be so cheap to attempt to train them to adapt to my full powered light, they would probably die in the process darting around.

Registered Member

A cheaper way would be to have a light on nearby such as a little night light and that way there is always some light and it doesn't go from pitch black to bright. I just don't think a expensive controller is really needed although they are neat and can program lightning storms and such. I just don't want new people to read this and think that's all discus get scared by sudden light changes and feel they need to by a controller

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

And that is why it is in my personal subforum rather than anywhere else. While it is purely optional, depending on the situation, I may strongly recommend it or view it as just a nice thing to have. A night light is fine, but it is no substitute for actual dimming control. Having 8-20w of low power surface mount LEDs is worlds away from having 100+ watts of high efficacy high power LEDs with optics. Eventually the difference will be too great.

Of course, in a fish only discus tank, the night light idea is a great idea as going from some light to a bit more light is better than going from no light to a lot of light since plantless discus tanks are typically not bright.

As far as any other novices coming in here and reading up, its pretty apparent that this whole section is full of my own opinions and i do a fair bit to explain the details and backstory so people can infer on how things work and if they need something or not. My light is stupidly bright, because I built it with the intent of growing carpet plants at a 36" depth. In MY case, not only is it a cool item, it is a necessity. If they only skim through here for the links i provide, that is on them.