AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: November 2014 Member Spotlight - Discus Hans

Default Re: November 2014 Member Spotlight - Discus Hans

Hans,
    Great interview! I am glad you love what you are doing. That shows in your dedication to the hobby and the discus people.

Ardan

Registered Member
    Real Name
    allan angus

just read this from start to finish as a brit i would like to add that hans has a reputation that spans the the world a great supplier of discus from a great breeder ! whilst i have never brought fish from him (we have a great supplier here in the uk in devotedly discus ) his advice is freely available on the forum and a great resource for all keepers of discus .

This was one spot light that was long over due!! It was great reading thru it. Thanks SD Team for putting it together and Hans for playing along!

I've known Hans thru the forums for years as well... The guy has a huge heart...no doubt there. And He has one helluva cool Discus Hatchery! Over the years He and I have become good Friends...its something that happens sometimes when you share a passion if you are lucky.. I feel strongly that SimplyDiscus has made a huge impact on the Hobby but its because of people ..People in our community like Hans here. Hans has impacted the hobby immensely thru his support of this Site, The Fish Shows, the Clubs, and even the future Discus Keepers, the kids. He isn't showy, and you often don't know the extent of what he is involved in, but tries to help where he can. I am very Proud to call him a Friend, and very glad to have him as a sponsor of this forum. I have always been able to count on him. ...and thats a fact.

BTW...

Thats one of my Favorite Pics! Dick AU, Discus Hans, and Some other guy in the middle.

Best always,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-08-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Great article on Hans Discus. I always love reading how and why people successfully turn a hobby they love into a thriving business. I do have one question - he seemed rather adamant about not selling yellow strains. Is there a particular reason for this (weaker strain, poor breeders, etc.) or is it simply personal preference?

Congrats Hans, well deserved!!!!!

I have known Hans for several years thru email, Facebook and on the phone. I will one day soon make a trip to Baltimore to speak to him in person (after all its only 4.5 hours away).
    I am very impressed with the Stendker Discus, Top quality. BUT, I grow more and more impressed with the man that sells them. he takes the time for anyone and sometimes over and over to explain
    the hobby but beyond that he is also willing to speak off topic with you as well, I have got to know him more and more over phone calls after my next juvie group just showed up. in my book this guy is a class act

BUT, Hans you need to quit posting those pairs for sale "your killing me"... Lol again, congrats, well deserved - talk to you soon. Tom C.

Registered Member

Very nice read, makes me want to get more and more back in to the discus hobby each day.
    "DON'T HOOK FISH,BUT GET HOOKED ON FISH.
    15 gallon (using for grow out)bare bottom discus tank,3 young juvies,4 fry.

Ok, time to get back in and big.
    Thanks for the E-mail Al.

Real Name
    Patrick

Hans is one of the true Gentleman of the hobby. He has done so much for the hobby as a whole. Not just Discus. Thanks for always being there Hans

Pat Kelly

Registered Member

Hey Hans cool interview. I have been involved with Discus only a short time, just under a year. But like Hans said I did my research and read a ton about the fish. When I searching the web, Discus Hans always came up as the guy to buy the Discus from. What got me further into meeting Hans was the videos posted on youtube. So I drove down to Baltimore to meet Hans, pick his brains and pick up a couple of Discus. I found Hans to be an awesome person and easily willing to share his knowledge with me. Well needless to say I left his shop with 8 discus when I was looking on to get 4. Well shortly after getting them home one got sick and I contact Hans immediately. He walked me through what to do and calmed me down. The fish did get better and I learned not to panick with Discus. Three months later I went back to see Hans and was treated like part of the family. Of course I left with the store again with eight more Discus. So now I have two 60 gallon tanks with seven Discus in each, yep one has died in each batch but that just the way it works. But I can assure you I have that the 14 I have are pretty outstanding Discus. And yes, Hans warned me thats its hard work from the very beginning and nothing but nothing works as well as daily water changes and beef heart food. And he was right, its hard work but the rewards are worth it. So thanks Hans for being such a nice, knowledgeable and sharing person. By the way I have to order more food soon, just haven't decided if I am driving down or ordering on line. I really don't have the room for anohter 60 gallon tank; but thats what I said last time.

Registered Member

I met Hans at a PVAS meeting this past July, his fish and his personality are wonderful. I have his Discus in my home at this moment and I love them. Such a great Discus mentor to all.

Registered Member

It is great to know more about the man behind the scenes with the wonderful fish. I got my first Discus aquarium last September and stocked it with a diversified batch of beautiful 3" Discus (15 of them) in the 110 gallon tank purchased from Hans. Hans had great ideas on water change protocol using those huge 45 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans once per week and after thirteen months I still have 13 much larger discus and I love my fish. Very healthy discus. A wonderful hobby. Thanks again Hans. Greg Adamson

What a great man to put in the spotlight! (Or did he just wonder in by accident? LOL. )

I've known Hans (his full name too) for about 16-17 years now and I can say for certain that he has been a great mentor of mine. He's been always helpful, always very straight forward about stuff, just like most of you know him today. He may have changed locations but the man is still the man.
    The majority of those tanks he mentioned are still in use, so are the racks, even one of the AlgeenMatic pumps, the bioball towers, etc. They served me well, they served my friends well and some of them are still serving the Xingú project and another one, so I can say that a one-time generous donation by Hans has spawned and served a whole generation of discus maniacs in Hungary.
    The man is already a legend, up there with the greatest ones in discus history, but...
    ...it's time I stop kissing his a$$ now.

Luvya' man!
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

Cool Re: November 2014 Member Spotlight - Discus Hans

What to say about a guy you know for more than 20 years.

I remember his ups and downs, the great time we had on shows, when I visited his house, his shed and his hatchery in Holland. Helping building up his displays at shows, sharing a hotel room, being woken up by a fire alarm, having great times with mutual friends.

It was a shock for me to hear he quit his job and sold everything in Holland to leave to the USA. But he's a man with a dream and he followed that dream.

And with succes everywhere I come people heard about him, everyone around the world who is interested in the Discus world knows him and everyone likes him.

I really do miss my friend to live rather close and to see him regular, but I know he's so happy now, living his dream and following his passion.

Reading this interview learns you to know a little about this humble guy, who does share his knowledge with everyone without a hidden agenda, without pushing someone to buy from him or to read his book (sorry that´s an inside joke)...

Hope to see you soon again Hans !!
    visit www.discus.info

Great spotlight
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Great Spotlight ! Not only was it a pleasure to read about a top dog in the discus industry, it was also a pleasure to read about a good friend. Thank You Simply and Hans for a well deserved interview.

Bob
    BOB BALOGH - SOS CREW NJ
    NADA BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast